Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Shouldn't be but as I recall most airlines move booze between the system on their carts and don't source EVERY item in the beverage list at outstations with local catering. Yes it's odd but things like the wine selection AA has is likely sourced in the US and pushed to outstation catering through AA flights and in some cases on the same carts that GG services in LAX. You would think though that AA would have asked for temporary backups sourced local - but the way most catering vendors run slim stocks that may not have been possible. E.g I'm pretty sure Cathay Pacific catering in HK doesn't stock Tito's Vodka for any of their airlines - so if something was pushed form the DFW through catering and then went LAX to HKG that's what will be on the cart vs zero ability to source that from the local supplier.
That was very informative. Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Shouldn't be but as I recall most airlines move booze between the system on their carts and don't source EVERY item in the beverage list at outstations with local catering. Yes it's odd but things like the wine selection AA has is likely sourced in the US and pushed to outstation catering through AA flights and in some cases on the same carts that GG services in LAX. You would think though that AA would have asked for temporary backups sourced local - but the way most catering vendors run slim stocks that may not have been possible. E.g I'm pretty sure Cathay Pacific catering in HK doesn't stock Tito's Vodka for any of their airlines - so if something was pushed form the DFW through catering and then went LAX to HKG that's what will be on the cart vs zero ability to source that from the local supplier.
Great info! I've always wondered how they source catering items at outstations.

i.e. How Etihad can serve Al Ain water on all of their flights ex-USA even though it's water bottled in the UAE. You'd think they'd just have local catering provide Crystal Geyser or something versus carry over Al Ain Water bottles on their flights INTO the USA.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Great info! I've always wondered how they source catering items at outstations.

i.e. How Etihad can serve Al Ain water on all of their flights ex-USA even though it's water bottled in the UAE. You'd think they'd just have local catering provide Crystal Geyser or something versus carry over Al Ain Water bottles on their flights INTO the USA.
Sometimes items like this are sourced locally, I guess it just varies based on what's available (and at what price) and whether they want to specifically serve a certain brand.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
On board AA1024, LAX-MIA. Can confirm fully catered including pre-ordered entrées, PDB's, glassware, the lot.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Alaska 75K MVP
maybe... maybe not

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Now on board AA 108.

Catering manager at the aircraft door confirmed. International flights out of LAX are all fully catered from diff kitchen.
Well if they are they didn't tell Customer Service because the just sent me a $200 voucher.

Guess I'll know for sure in 15 hours or so
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
11/9 - LaX—ATL redeye: Received $50 voucher in advance. While boarding there were cans of soda and bottles of water, chips, cookies, granola bars etc for all pax to grab and go free

In the J cabin it had just the domestic thin blanket and no pillow - not a duvet (not sure if this is normal but usually redeye J/F domestic I see a duvet and pillow)

PDB SERVED! Though I didn’t have one. In flight FAs came around with cold Turkey and Cheese or Ham and Cheese sandwiches then Bags of chips and bags of famous Amos cookies in the snack basket. Cabin was stocked with beverages including gin and tonics and wine. Limited supply though. No lime or lemons.
Considering this flight I think only serves warm nuts and cookie (is that right for “refreshments”) - I was happy. The warm cookie and nuts are such simple luxuries but the Sandwhich was good and the tomato inside tasted fresh, albeit the thing was a little squished.

The FAs were very attentive, apologized for the confusion (they had not been notified) but one mentioned how it reminded them of when the NYC catering in the 1970s had been shut down by the health department? Anyone recall that?

All in all this met my expectations between the voucher and provided snacks - yet I am surprised things are not back to normal.

Last edited by fotoflyer88; Nov 10, 2017 at 4:06 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
On 169 right now, PDB choice of H20/OJ/Champagne, amenity kits in place, full size international duvet and pillow. Will report back once I'm on wifi in the air but so far no announcement of reduced service.

***Update***
Now in the air two meal choices of lasagna or beef. No lemons or limes, but two choices of champagne Lanson being offered during PDB, don't know yet what the second is.

Last edited by ECKOA6; Nov 10, 2017 at 1:35 pm Reason: Updated
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
NOTE that comments about members and on moderation will be summarily deleted per the Rules.

/Moderation
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA, BA, QR
flying LAX - AKL tomorrow, flying in coach, received a $100 voucher, assumed my upgrade went through and called aa, no such luck, are they giving vouchers for coach pax too?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Cool

Originally Posted by ibr2008
flying LAX - AKL tomorrow, flying in coach, received a $100 voucher, assumed my upgrade went through and called aa, no such luck, are they giving vouchers for coach pax too?
I'm on that flight in business and haven't received a voucher. Maybe you got mine?

My meal selection is still in the reservation so we'll see what happens. My backup plan was to find an EXP to guest me into the Qantas F lounge for dinner and bubbles. Crossing fingers.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, BA, QR
Originally Posted by RyRyTheFlyGuy
I'm on that flight in business and haven't received a voucher. Maybe you got mine?

My meal selection is still in the reservation so we'll see what happens. My backup plan was to find an EXP to guest me into the Qantas F lounge for dinner and bubbles. Crossing fingers.
i guess you paid for the j seat, c seats did not open up, EF is still showing a few unsold seats, keeping my fingers crossed :-)
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Alaska 75K MVP
Originally Posted by ECKOA6
On 169 right now, PDB choice of H20/OJ/Champagne, amenity kits in place, full size international duvet and pillow. Will report back once I'm on wifi in the air but so far no announcement of reduced service.

***Update***
Now in the air two meal choices of lasagna or beef. No lemons or limes, but two choices of champagne Lanson being offered during PDB, don't know yet what the second is.
I"m on the same flight and the purser came by to make sure I knew about the downgraded service.

It's been a while since I've flown AA to Asia since I normally take Cathay but I sure hope that was a downgraded meal. hate to think that's what they serve in J on a regular basis.

On the plus side the cabin crew has been very visible so far
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ibr2008
i guess you paid for the j seat, c seats did not open up, EF is still showing a few unsold seats, keeping my fingers crossed :-)
Good luck! From recent reports, might be prudent to cut up some limes for a g&t. Sounds like they have booze but no garnish.

I wonder if the coach voucher with no j voucher means they might be prioritizing bringing j back to full service. An earlier post implied AKL would be downgraded til the 14th, though.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:52 pm

Was on LAX-HKG in J on Nov 08. If I hadn't known about the catering problem ahead of time due to reading here and receipt of $200 voucher day before, I would barely have noticed anything sub-standard. The only noticeable differences were:
- only two choices of dinner main - chicken or pasta
- only one red and one white wine
- mid-flight snacks displayed in the bar were cheese/fruit plates + packaged snacks; hot sandwich also available on request
Flight was full (in J and F, at least), and crew were great.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RyRyTheFlyGuy
Good luck! From recent reports, might be prudent to cut up some limes for a g&t. Sounds like they have booze but no garnish.
The answer for those of us who find lime essential when flying:

https://www.amazon.com/True-Lime-Dis...QAZ3JVG24WER68

Crystallized citrus in individual serving packets. Also available in lemon, orange and grapefruit. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.