Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gold, Platinum or Plat Pro Status – “on us” (Jan 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold, Platinum or Plat Pro Status – “on us” (Jan 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
I received it. One award flight last year. One $104/round trip booked WAS-SFO this year! I'll take the free main cabin extra seats and try to use the 20 500 mile upgrades for the two longer segments.

Can this be used for a status match to say AS?
My 500 mile upgrades posted, they have a date of the 13th and I accepted the offer on the 12th.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:08 pm

So I received the Plat pro offer and I have a JAL flight coming up. Would this status help me getting upgrade ?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by MSPATIL1985
So I received the Plat pro offer and I have a JAL flight coming up. Would this status help me getting upgrade ?
Doubt it. OW carriers generally recognize OW status for OpUps - Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. PLT and PPRO are both Sapphire.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:07 am
E55

Yeah. Seems pretty clear. Targeted at flyers who appear as if they've brought their (significant) travel to other carriers.

That's who I'd target. Upsetting as it may be... how else should AA have handled trying to get more business? Ultra low-cost marketing. Shrewd.

Originally Posted by apodo77
Same here.
Was an AA Platinum in 2015 and haven’t flown a single AA flight since then.
Guess I am a Platinum Pro now.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by E55
Yeah. Seems pretty clear. Targeted at flyers who appear as if they've brought their (significant) travel to other carriers.
That's who I'd target. Upsetting as it may be... how else should AA have handled trying to get more business? Ultra low-cost marketing. Shrewd.
That would make sense, but I wonder if they are checking only for people who lost status.
That is, would they make the offer to a Lifetime PLT who doesn't fly enough to qualify for regular status?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by solewalker
I wouldn't have minded some of these 500-mile upgrades that are given out so liberally.

yes but easy to earn, next to impossible to redeem especially with the new ranking order. EXP now is the old Platinum.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by enviroian
yes but easy to earn, next to impossible to redeem especially with the new ranking order. EXP now is the old Platinum.
I know things are tougher, but EXP is not the old Platinum. There are not many CKs on each flight so their elevation to an official level status is not that impactful for most non-premium routes. However, PPRO has become a bigger game changer than I expected because they are making that level more attractive and now are letting people take it for a spin. That along with no charge for domestic upgrades make it a much bigger barrier to Platinum holders looking for upgrades.

Rasheed
rumboj likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SWA A-List, AA Platinum
Interesting you say EXP is not the old Platinum. I received the EXP offer, however, not sure why. I used to be AA Plat but last year switched to SWA and now A-list with them and i did match that to Alaska MVP Gold last year. I not planning to even accept as wont go back to AA and maybe in future a status match might be worth it more if my flights change to international. I guess the sticky point is I hardly ever got upgraded as a Platinum and when I did there was not usually a PDB served and the food often I couldnt even eat it was so bad. Then I found the flight attendants in first to be the worse ones on the plane and even started preferring to sit in Y as at least the service/attitude was better.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Doubt it. OW carriers generally recognize OW status for OpUps - Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. PLT and PPRO are both Sapphire.
thank you for your reply.

Would the Sapphire status at least help me in getting Same day flight changes? It does mention on the website- but still wanted to confirm. thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
thank you for your reply.

Would the Sapphire status at least help me in getting Same day flight changes? It does mention on the website- but still wanted to confirm. thanks!
Yes - that has been confirmed for PPRO as well as EXP (AA Operated flight - not other carriers.) Here.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Yes - that has been confirmed for PPRO as well as EXP (AA Operated flight - not other carriers.) Here.
Oh- so it does not help me getting SDC on JAL flight. :-(
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:18 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Oh- so it does not help me getting SDC on JAL flight. :-(
This is what you should expect from JAL. Anything more then that should be treated as more of a one off special circumstance type thing. I don't even think JAL has a concept like SDC like AA does.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges

Expecting anything more then what is listed on this page is just asking to be let down.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by enviroian
Speak for yourself. I find them hard to earn and easy to redeem. Currently have just 3 in the bank. I am often Gold, sometimes Platinum, and I can't recall ever having a double digit number of upgrades. Most recently I cleared DCA-MIA with a companion. Lately I have found myself near the top of the upgrade list when I don't clear by T-24, which makes me think there must be a lot of low-spend Golds out there (maybe they got their status for free from an e-mail instead of the traditional way ).
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
This is what you should expect from JAL. Anything more then that should be treated as more of a one off special circumstance type thing. I don't even think JAL has a concept like SDC like AA does.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges

Expecting anything more then what is listed on this page is just asking to be let down.
thank you for this info. how do I get One World Sapphire status "card" or would my AA platinum pro app status image would suffice at the check in and lounges etc?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:29 pm

In general; where can I get "status cards" to prove my AA platinum pro status while flying with other Oneworld carriers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.