Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Hmmm... maybe I better give them a call and see what's going on with my eVIP requests. I ticketed a reservation in January for LHR-DFW flight in November and immediately put in the upgrade request. Still hasn't cleared. Nor has my EZE-DFW which was purchased more recently. That flight went from J7 to J1 overnight, but I didn't see any new seats in Y open up. Must have been revenue seats sold.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
I had a similar experience last month. I booked my fiancee and me to fly JFK-LHR on separate PNRs (we're flying home on different flights). ExpertFlyer was showing C1 for the outbound, so I called AA and had them upgrade my fiancee, since I knew it would be easier for me to clear the waitlist. I saw EF go from C1 to C0. I then called AA back to add my name to the waitlist, but the agent was able to clear my upgrade right away.
I'm surprised that they couldn't clear you both on the first call- one with the C1 and one with the hidden EXP inventory. I've had several cases of C1 and having us both booked at the same time. Granted, we're both EXP- but it should only take one EXP for that to work.

Cheers.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by brp
I'm surprised that they couldn't clear you both on the first call- one with the C1 and one with the hidden EXP inventory. I've had several cases of C1 and having us both booked at the same time. Granted, we're both EXP- but it should only take one EXP for that to work.

Cheers.
They might have been able to handle it in one call; I just chose to handle the reservations in two separate calls.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by bpauker
Hmmm... maybe I better give them a call and see what's going on with my eVIP requests. I ticketed a reservation in January for LHR-DFW flight in November and immediately put in the upgrade request. Still hasn't cleared. Nor has my EZE-DFW which was purchased more recently. That flight went from J7 to J1 overnight, but I didn't see any new seats in Y open up. Must have been revenue seats sold.
That's really far in advance. Maybe they only start freeing up inventory as the time draws near.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
That's really far in advance. Maybe they only start freeing up inventory as the time draws near.
Depends on the route, and especially the day.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bpauker
Hmmm... maybe I better give them a call and see what's going on with my eVIP requests. I ticketed a reservation in January for LHR-DFW flight in November and immediately put in the upgrade request. Still hasn't cleared.
Far to early to be phoning up and chasing them.

These days I'm seeing most SWUs clear around 2-3 days before the flight for LHR-DFW.

Occasionally earlier and sometimes less than 24 hours out, but I wouldn't expect Revenue Management to be giving up seats for special requests this far out.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: AA 2 million miler; Marriott LT Titanium; Alaska 75K
EXP Additional Award Inventory

I just attained EXP status for the first time. One of the additional benefits is supposed to be added inventory of award seating. I've checked several flights but don't see any difference. Can someone tell me if they have seen a difference.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The expanded award availability is not viewable online - you must call and ask. I've seen it many times when expertflyer shows no C or Z or U inventory yet my requests for upgrades or award tickets are granted when I call.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
In my experience, you need to call the EXP desk. even then, it's not guaranteed they'll find what you need. some hits; some misses.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to call into the EXP desk for them to contact revenue management to see if additional award inventory can be released. Might not be able to see it on the website.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zski1
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to call into the EXP desk for them to contact revenue management to see if additional award inventory can be released. Might not be able to see it on the website.
EXP agents can see the expanded inventory without contacting anyone, let alone revenue management. It's on their screens.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by zski1
Not true. EXP desk can look it up. The call to revenue management is an ask to see if they'll open something up in case the expanded EXP bucket isn't available.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
only twice have i called to check on C availability for an upcoming flight and gotten it released on the phone, but both times were 3-4 days before departure when I would have expected the upgrade to clear anyway.

Every single time I have tried to get award tickets with EF showed Z0, U0 or T0, I have been turned down by RM. So far as I am concerned the "expanded MilesAAver award availability" is a myth!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by billgrates3
So far as I am concerned the "expanded MilesAAver award availability" is a myth!
As others have reported success, this is obviously a YMMV.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by billgrates3
only twice have i called to check on C availability for an upcoming flight and gotten it released on the phone, but both times were 3-4 days before departure when I would have expected the upgrade to clear anyway.

Every single time I have tried to get award tickets with EF showed Z0, U0 or T0, I have been turned down by RM. So far as I am concerned the "expanded MilesAAver award availability" is a myth!
Oh come on, you can't post such nonsense. If the agent sent your request off to RM for approval, that judgment call was made by a human being in either approving or declining your request.

The expanded inventory is an automated function and the release of seats is obviously based on algorithms.

Anyway, since you have gotten seats released, you have benefited from the perk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.