Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Hawai'i is pretty easy- Kettle-heavy with less demand for upgrades- at least from the west coast. With that said, we'll probably use 2 SWUs on an upcoming Hawai'i trip just because they're gonna expire anyway

Cheers.

Good point. But F seats can be limited because so many people (try to) claim First Class flight awards to/from Hawaii.

Still, when I asked Diane at the HNL AC about it, she says that she regularly sees X inventory on boarding passes departing HNL, so I guess that's a good sign!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Good point. But F seats can be limited because so many people (try to) claim First Class flight awards to/from Hawaii.

Still, when I asked Diane at the HNL AC about it, she says that she regularly sees X inventory on boarding passes departing HNL, so I guess that's a good sign!
Diane makes a point of checking booking codes on people's BPs? That's dedication! I can't think of any good reason for AC personnel even to know what X is.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by brp
Hawai'i is pretty easy- Kettle-heavy with less demand for upgrades- at least from the west coast. With that said, we'll probably use 2 SWUs on an upcoming Hawai'i trip just because they're gonna expire anyway

Cheers.
I agree, I never not had stickers clears for me on Hawaii bound/return flights. I would not waste an eVIP to Hawaii unless they expired soon
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:55 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's important to distinguish between LAX/SFO-Hawaii and DFW/(soon to be again ORD - Hawaii flights which considering the use of SWU/Miles or waiting out a sticker UG. IME the DFW and ORD flights are a challenge for EXPs shooting for X upgrades. I use SWUs/Miles in a heart beat. Flying for LAX or SFO I'd wait out the sticker upgrade.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
HNL strategy

Even Hawaii? IMHO, I wouldn't risk waiting for sticker upgrades on those long flights. I always use miles or eVIPs.
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I agree, I never not had stickers clears for me on Hawaii bound/return flights. I would not waste an eVIP to Hawaii unless they expired soon
Originally Posted by HNL
I think it's important to distinguish between LAX/SFO-Hawaii and DFW/(soon to be again ORD - Hawaii flights which considering the use of SWU/Miles or waiting out a sticker UG. IME the DFW and ORD flights are a challenge for EXPs shooting for X upgrades. I use SWUs/Miles in a heart beat. Flying for LAX or SFO I'd wait out the sticker upgrade.
I sticker upgrade to HNL with 100% success from DFW/ORD except during Christmas. During that time, I redeem an F award as the flights I select are usually F0 for months before day of departure.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1.6 MM
Even Hawaii? IMHO, I wouldn't risk waiting for sticker upgrades on those long flights. I always use miles or eVIPs.
in 10+ years of LAX-HNL i've missed only one upgrade on a HNL-LAX flight (even when i was GLD) and that was:

1. Weekend after Thanksgiving
2. First flight out of HNL in the morning with many connections to the East Coast.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:44 am

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
As a newly minted EXP, I can confirm the "hidden" C inventory. Currently in Europe on a trip I booked on 01/04. Last week I called the EXP desk for the first time to ask to be waitlisted for UG's, since EF showed C0 for both the outbound and the return. Instead the AAgent cleared the outbound immediately, then almost apologized for having to waitlist the return, and said chances of it clearing looked very good. Following my usual practice when I was a PLT, I set an EF Alert for C inventory on the return, so I could call an confirm as soon as some opened up. I happened to check my reservation a few days later and noticed that the return has cleared, having never gotten the Alert from EF.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
EXP Additional MileSaaver Availabliity?

Apparently one of the EXP perks is additional availability for Milesaaver awards. Would I be able to view this availability via AA.com if I were logged in or do I need to contact the EXP desk?

Last edited by dstan; Mar 16, 2010 at 12:27 pm
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
You need to call. It's a stated benefit, not "apparently," but availability will vary.

There's also a consolidated thread on this here. (Search terms expanded milesaaver)
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Calling the EXP desk often gets things you cannot get on the website. I plan whatever I want online then call EXP to reserve. They usually get whatever I want on pretty decent terms including Milesaver. The EXP desk is the best EXP perk of them all, barring eVIP's of course.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by videomaker
You need to call. It's a stated benefit, not "apparently," but availability will vary.

There's also a consolidated thread on this here. (Search terms expanded milesaaver)
Thanks for the link videomaker "apparently" you have experience with this topic.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by execplatscum
Thanks for the link videomaker "apparently" you have experience with this topic.
Hey, don't miss out on any of the benefits. The EXP desk has always treated me well.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, DL PM
Cool Expanded C inventory for EXPs

Interesting data point of which I wasn't previously aware. Flying LHR-ORD in November with a non-status companion on a separate PNR (linked to mine), both waitlisted for eVIP upgrades from my account.

Today the agent told me that she was showing one seat available and offered to process the upgrade for me. I told her to give it to my companion, but she said it was unavailable to him, and that as an EXP I have access to expanded upgrade inventory (not visible, to my knowledge, on EF).
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by G.RAES
Interesting data point of which I wasn't previously aware. Flying LHR-ORD in November with a non-status companion on a separate PNR (linked to mine), both waitlisted for eVIP upgrades from my account.

Today the agent told me that she was showing one seat available and offered to process the upgrade for me. I told her to give it to my companion, but she said it was unavailable to him, and that as an EXP I have access to expanded upgrade inventory (not visible, to my knowledge, on EF).
Of course, you can always swap BPs if you want the companion to have the upgrade.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by G.RAES

I had a similar experience last month. I booked my fiancee and me to fly JFK-LHR on separate PNRs (we're flying home on different flights). ExpertFlyer was showing C1 for the outbound, so I called AA and had them upgrade my fiancee, since I knew it would be easier for me to clear the waitlist. I saw EF go from C1 to C0. I then called AA back to add my name to the waitlist, but the agent was able to clear my upgrade right away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.