Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by sukn
Oh come on, you can't post such nonsense. If the agent sent your request off to RM for approval, that judgment call was made by a human being in either approving or declining your request.

The expanded inventory is an automated function and the release of seats is obviously based on algorithms.

Anyway, since you have gotten seats released, you have benefited from the perk.
I would accept your theory that I have benefited (twice in 3 years, out of dozens of attempts) except that it was probably a coincidence that i called about when the upgrades were to be released anyway.

As for award tickets, perhaps i should have said "YMMV", as videomaker has pointed out, rather than "myth". In any case, I look forward to the day when I can actually book a saver award ticket when it's not showing online (but I'm not holding my breath).
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
In my experience I have often [at least 50% of the time] been given an upgrade or an award when it did not show available on EF or aa.com.
However, it is often necessary to ask the rep to check manually because apparently it does not automatically show on their screen. My success has usually been weeks or months before travel.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Ho-Hum, zero success here. I call EXP Desk, I ask, they quickly respond that nothing is available 100% of the time. Is there a secret password maybe?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM
I just told that there is no additional mile saver awards unless I am traveling. She asked me if I was the one traveling and I said no it is for my father and she said well then if you want a mile saver award he will have to on x date. That is the same date I can see on AA.com.

Guess I will call back in an hour or so and see what the next one says.

Rod
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by billgrates3
I would accept your theory that I have benefited (twice in 3 years, out of dozens of attempts) except that it was probably a coincidence that i called about when the upgrades were to be released anyway.

As for award tickets, perhaps i should have said "YMMV", as videomaker has pointed out, rather than "myth". In any case, I look forward to the day when I can actually book a saver award ticket when it's not showing online (but I'm not holding my breath).
I and my STL AC angel have been checking for two February STL-MVD milesaver awards in J for nearly a month. This morning in the club nothing showed when I checked online, so I stopped at the desk on the way out and told her the new date I had just been looking for but with no success. By the time I got downstairs she called down to the check-in desk that one award was available as a done deal, and emailed me on the flight to LAX that "the analyst" had approved a second award.

As I've been told several times by the EXP desk, and experienced directly more than once, they can see more award inventory than I can.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Rodraid
I just told that there is no additional mile saver awards unless I am traveling. She asked me if I was the one traveling and I said no it is for my father and she said well then if you want a mile saver award he will have to on x date. That is the same date I can see on AA.com.

Guess I will call back in an hour or so and see what the next one says.

Rod
I wouldn't expect any change as what you have been told is correct.

The expanded inventory is for your personal use as an EXP not for you to 'gift' to someone else along with your miles. So as the AAgent told you, if you are the one travelling she can help you with the expanded inventory but if not then what you see online is what you get.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:14 pm

Can someone give me a hint so to where they hide this? I've got 2 flights - #136 on 12/17 and #37 on 1/2 which are playing hide and seek.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by riteshraja
Can someone give me a hint so to where they hide this? I've got 2 flights - #136 on 12/17 and #37 on 1/2 which are playing hide and seek.
You call the EXP desk and they tell you whether it is available or not.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
You can see C inventory on ExpertFlyer.com by doing an Awards & Upgrades search and selecting the C class. And also set a Flight Alert to see if it opens up in the future.

However, this will not show any additional inventory that might also be available for EXPs (if there is any). For this you need to call the EXP desk.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by riteshraja
Can someone give me a hint so to where they hide this?
Hermetically sealed inside a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnalls' porch.

Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Hermetically sealed inside a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnalls' porch.

Cheers.
Found it. Thanks brp.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
Following my usual practice when I was a PLT, I set an EF Alert for C inventory on the return, so I could call an confirm as soon as some opened up. I happened to check my reservation a few days later and noticed that the return has cleared, having never gotten the Alert from EF.

That's typically how it happens for me. As EXPs, we are often cleared into C without C inventory being publicly "released" into the system. In other words, RM grabs the PNR and moves it to C without actually creating C space for longer than the instant necessary to clear the upgrade. So, it bypasses the automatic process.

Usually what happens for me is that I keep an eye on the revenue booking classes (J, D, I) in the days before the flight, as well as my PNR on AA.com. As long as it's showing J4 D4 I1 or so a few days before departure, it's likely that I will clear suddenly, and without an alert from EF.

Then, at the 3-4 hour mark before departure, when any remaining J inventory gets released into C, I finally get the EF notification (though my upgrade cleared hours and hours earlier).
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Applies to flights on hold?

Does anyone know if I can call the EXP desk to ask about C inventory for a flight that's on hold (but not purchased)?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:47 pm
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Sure you can.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
That's typically how it happens for me. As EXPs, we are often cleared into C without C inventory being publicly "released" into the system. In other words, RM grabs the PNR and moves it to C without actually creating C space for longer than the instant necessary to clear the upgrade. So, it bypasses the automatic process.
We also need to remember that the EF polling is a periodic process, it is not continuous.

So it is perfectly possible for AA to release C inventory, have it sitting there for some time and then pick it up and use it for queued requests all without EF actually noticing it is there.

Hard to be precise and EF do not publish the details but if you are still a couple of days before the flight I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are at least a couple of hours between checks from the EF end based on what I've experienced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.