Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Expanded / additional MileSAAver award and upgrade availability for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Anecdotatal info, to be sure, but in addition to the expanded AAward availability, as an EXP you get the help/assistance of the EXP agents in working with you on it. It's one of the benefits of EXP that makes EXP worth it, IMHO, when one is a current Plat within 1 or 2 MR's of EXP.

There is no "Plat" or "Gold" desk.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
More Anecdotal Evidence

I looked 2 seats for the inlaws on the SEA-JFK flight for the holidays. I wanted the direct flight. No availability on aa.com. I called the EXP desk, and 2 seats were made available.

For Summer 09, I booked 4 award seats on a domestic triangle trip. I couldn't get 5 seats, so I didn't get a ticket for myself. A couple of weeks later, I called and asked for 5th seat availability - which was not showing up on-line, and the EXP desk made it happen.

In October, on 6 days notice, the EXP desk found a 25k SEA-AUS RT that was not showing on aa.com. It was easy to spend the miles rather than $700.

7 weeks of EXP to go. I'll miss it.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:59 am

I have very frequently found that the EXP desk can clear a C upgrade on the LAX-JFk-LAX transcon when EF shows 0 availibility... BUT it really depends on the agent. I have called back two or three times when I did not get the upgradae and have found that a good agent really can make all the difference...
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
As a PLT I had booked (2) F mileage saver awards for DFW-LHR for my wife and daughter but could not get a 3rd seat for myself. In my first week as EXP I called to ask about expanded availability. The first call he said "let me put in the request and see what we get back." A few seconds later he said the request was denied but keep checking back. Durring my converstaion I mentioned I was a new EXP thanks to FT. At the end of the call he said, "hey what was that web site you mentioned... I'd like to check it out." Made me think we should be recruiting some Angels to FT.

On my second call, the angel said let me see if I can get something to open up for you. After a lot of typing she had emailed "her contact at rev mgt" and said to call back on Monday morning for an update. Monday morning I called back and I had my third mileage saver award.

On my first call it sounded like he was putting a request into an automated system to see if he could get expanded avilability. On the second request, the Angel went the extra mile and sent an email to rev management which opened up. FWIW- based upon my experience and an earlier post, say 2 months ago, that it seems that there is a hidden automated system to check for expanded award but your best value comes from the personal contacts a particular angel may have and decide to enagage on your behalf.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
A different experience, no so nice.

In late Dec.07 I called the EXP desk (i was a brand new EXP then) and tried to get RM to open availability of a U award ticket for Mrs.Grates3 to return from LGW to SFO in early May.08. The outgoing legs were available. I was going to buy a ticket for me. Even though I called several times over a couple of weeks, they would not give us that award ticket!!!

So... I eventually had to arrange things so we returned Stansted-JFK-SFO and had to stay overnight in London first, after coming back from TLS to LGW. The overnight would have been quite expensive, but fortunately I had some Hilton points for a free stay.
However, I would have preferred that AA played ball with us and made things a bit easier.
I'm going to try again soon to get a U award for Mrs.Grates to go to Italy in Feb-Mar. EF & AA show no U availability at all, so we'll see if the "expanded award availability" is real in our case.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:32 pm

I just called the EXP desk to try and snag a ski weekend trip to RNO (Reno). I was told that nothing was available MilesAAver wise on both the Friday and the Monday. I then asked if she could open up or request a seat based on what I've read in this thread. The response: "there is nothing available, b/c you are Executive Platinum the system automatically opens up expanded MilesAAver availability. There is nothing else that can be done." Based on what I've read on this thread, their appears to be a way to request a seat to open up? Should I just call back and get another EXP AAgent? There is a flight on both days that appears to have plenty of Deep Discount inventory, so I don't understand why I couldn't snag one. TIA.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
I just called the EXP desk to try and snag a ski weekend trip to RNO (Reno). I was told that nothing was available MilesAAver wise on both the Friday and the Monday. I then asked if she could open up or request a seat based on what I've read in this thread. The response: "there is nothing available, b/c you are Executive Platinum the system automatically opens up expanded MilesAAver availability. There is nothing else that can be done." Based on what I've read on this thread, their appears to be a way to request a seat to open up? Should I just call back and get another EXP AAgent? There is a flight on both days that appears to have plenty of Deep Discount inventory, so I don't understand why I couldn't snag one. TIA.
Its the FT rule! If you didn't like your answer call again!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by stbeeman
We've had great luck - more than 20 MilesAAver tickets over the past 3 years, even when AA.com shows no availability. That's why I always do it through the EXP desk.
Is there a fee for doing this through the EXP desk?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I don't think there is a formula that releases more seats to you as an EXP. However, the EXP desk has more powers to request award seats to be released to us.
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
Actually, there is.
Do tell! What's the formula?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Do tell! What's the formula?
If you read on in the thread I believe things were clarified...
Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
If you read on in the thread I believe things were clarified...
I guess we interpret "formula" differently, but yes, there is some useful info and examples on the thread.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:28 pm

Hidden/Expanded availability for EVIP/SWU?

I've been waitlisted for an eVip for a few weeks now. EF has gone back and forth the past few days showing F2 P1 A0 and F1 P0 A0. I called EXP desk this evening to see if there had been any 'movement' on the waitlist. AAgent said no, but, "I think I can push it through." She punched the keyboard, said she grabbed it, called help desk, and bam- done!

What gives? How was she able to grab an A seat if it was not available and more importantly, if she could do that, how come the waitlist didn't move automatically?

This of course begs the question, can people on waitlist for an evip call and have an AAgent manually grab a seat, thus allowing the passenger to jump the WL?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
the EXP desk has magic powers, especially when it comes to awAArd seats

the trick is to not ask the magicians to show you a trick, but rather ask for the desired booking and then act surprised when they pull off their magic

EDIT: I know this wasn't an award but an eVIP use, similar magic works for both IME
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Also, EXP desk can call/ping/email the Revenue Management desk and ask them to release a seat for EXPs. Many agents do not like to do this, but some will.

Not sure if where you are on the waitlist or if anyone else is ahead of you comes into play.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The EXP agent went the extra mile for you and asked RM to release a seat - and RM did, which they may not. Time to burn some joss for RM! (It's an individual decision, so status does have something to do with it but waitlist is an unknown.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.