Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Surprising Airports with no lounge access for AA elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprising Airports with no lounge access for AA elites

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Surprised there were no OW lounges at YVR Vancouver.

Also surprised nothing at FCO Rome.

Both BA and CX have lounges at YVR.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Surprised there were no OW lounges at YVR Vancouver.

Also surprised nothing at FCO Rome.
There is a BA lounge and a LeAnfore lounge at FCO Rome as OW lounges.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LBJ
Both BA and CX have lounges at YVR.
Right, but they are not accessible to transborder passengers.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dkc192
AA has 6 flights a day out of YVR, and it's not an international location that gets you free lounge access. Not much of a surprise to not invest in a tiny station.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Not sure how the Prestige fits in. I'm willing to bet quite a few more Executive holders or actual members than that washed up card.
Not to sidetrack, but: I wouldn't say the Prestige is washed up. Mine has already paid for itself twice over this year with the fourth-night-free benefit and MUCH more generous purchase protection than any other card in class (like when I straight-up lost my brand new prescription Ray-Bans and had the full amount credited back in two weeks, with no more hassle than sending the receipt and my good word). ThankYou points aren't worth as much as they could be, true, but if used wisely the card's still a solid investment. AC access isn't everything (and, heck, for those living overseas, it really isn't anything—PLT does the job on international trips).
Old May 26, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Montreal does not have lounge access. Add that to a US cell phone not working due to Canada being "international" = disaster when AA flights are cancelled.
T mobile works fine up there. If you have a post paid plan and sign up for international access. Calls, text and roaming data are included in your plan at no additional cost. Same goes for Mexico too.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Nobody mentioned SLC yet? I mean it sucks that there is no shower capable AC when you are flying red-eye out if SLC immediately aftet an entire day at Snowbird and Alta.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm

And AA has several lounges around Europe
Several = 2.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Montreal does not have lounge access. Add that to a US cell phone not working due to Canada being "international" = disaster when AA flights are cancelled.
Not sure why the quotes for "international"??
Old May 27, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Several = 2.
Two more than Delta, by that metric.

If you want to get picky, sure, you can't access any of AA's euro partner lounges if you have a membership, but aren't flying AA. I don't think that edge case really applies in a discussion about airports where AA flyers don't have access to a lounge, despite a relatively high # of flights or international business class service.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by DrinkRaiderade
No Admirals Club at IAD or YUL is annoying. Both have a decent sized AA operation.

Since AA is now using Term E for a number of Flights at DFW, I wish it had an Admirals Club.

The new MCO lounge is appreciated (though small), and the Terminal 5 lounge at LAX will be appreciated when it opens.
The T5 lounge is going into the nice former Delta space, so it should be nice.

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I was quite surprised when I was at GSO and saw an AC. Understandable why it exists, but I agree that if/when the lease runs out, I can see them closing it. With LUS, it was in their backyard so it made sense. Less now post-merger.
I believe the GSO lounge was built by US with the idea that they were sharing with UA. Still, given all the traffic AA has through there, it makes sense to keep.

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
BUF used to have a US Air Club until the merger.
It actually stayed open for a bit after the merger. That lounge was awesome, with absolutely lovely ladies staffing the desk.

Originally Posted by TSparky
You can add IND to the list. Although it does have a Delta lounge.

GSO was a shocker too. I also think it is ripe to be closed.
Closing GSO would seem to be counter productive.

Originally Posted by brewdog11
I've always wondered why AA still bothers with the NRT AC when the JL lounges are so much better. I'm guessing it's cheaper to keep it open than it would be to send all pax to the JL lounge?
Location.

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Not sure how the Prestige fits in. I'm willing to bet quite a few more Executive holders or actual members than that washed up card.
A ton of people used the Prestige to get in, like they did the AMEX Plat before.

Originally Posted by dkc192
I really don't see how it would benefit AA to have a lounge at YVR. As was mentioned, they have very few flights there.

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
T mobile works fine up there. If you have a post paid plan and sign up for international access. Calls, text and roaming data are included in your plan at no additional cost. Same goes for Mexico too.
Yup. Also, T-Mobile gives you full speed data in Canada and Mexico, as opposed to a throttle.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
I believe the GSO lounge was built by US with the idea that they were sharing with UA. Still, given all the traffic AA has through there, it makes sense to keep...Closing GSO would seem to be counter productive.
There is a lounge in Greensboro because because it's a legacy airport for Piedmont Airlines, which was bought by USAir. Winston-Salem's Smith Reynolds Airport, INT, was the original headquarters for Piedmont, and is just about 15 miles from GSO. FYI. Piedmont's "Presidential Suites" as the clubs were known, were started in 1982 when it opened them at 16 airports. If you had to pick the top 16 airports that the mid-Atlantic based Piedmont was serving in the early 80's, GSO was easily one of them. I assume there was also one at INT but I don't know. Thus the presence of the club lounge at GSO.

Eventually by January 2000 all passenger flights for the city moved from INT to GSO. At it's peak in the early 1980s' INT had nonstop flights to New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Louisville, Cincinnati, Norfolk, Washington DC, direct service to Denver, and puddle jumper flights to literally every Piedmont city in VA/NC/SC. Nonstop flights to probably 20 - 30 cities, including INT-GSO! CLT eventually became the place they built a nearby hub in 1981 after airline deregulation in the 1970s, and CLT as a hub far exceeded service at GSO or INT. Piedmont's other hubs at BWI and DAY were in place by 1983,

So the club in GSO has nothing to do with United. Even after Piedmont was merged into USAir, the city of Winston-Salem was home for many years to the largest reservation center and HQ for the frequent flyer program before it was merged into AAdvantage. INT was the heavy maintenance base for Piedmont as well.

Wikipedia has good info here about INT.

Last edited by LovePrunes; May 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by aztimm
All that said, I do wonder how many people purposely plan to arrive early for a domestic flight, say IAH-PHX/LAX and would pay to make it worthwhile for AA.
I often arrive at LAX an hour early because of traffic planning. I have been stuck on the 405 in stop-and-go traffic for 10 miles on my way to LAX. On Sunday morning. If I miss my flight, it often means I miss a day of work because there is no space for 24 hours.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Now that the ACs have moved beyond just muffins in the morning and pretzels at night I can actually have a meal in the ACs. Sometimes its nice just to relax an hour before flight. As far as the future, maybe a new AC here or there (LAS, MSP, DTW) but that's about it.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by TSparky
I often arrive at LAX an hour early because of traffic planning. I have been stuck on the 405 in stop-and-go traffic for 10 miles on my way to LAX. On Sunday morning. If I miss my flight, it often means I miss a day of work because there is no space for 24 hours.
I drove up to LAX on Friday night from San Diego to catch a flight on United (first flight on United since US Airways exited Star Alliance, but only because UA is the only US airline with scheduled service to my intended destination and with the AAdvantage changes, I'm going the free agent route, so no guilt there). With it being a holiday weekend I departed 5.5 hrs before my scheduled departure, but traffic was almost non existent, so I was dropping off the rental about 1hr and 50 mins after I left the house. In fact the worst traffic I saw was from the Avis lot to T7! After checking in, my wife and I headed off to the Red Carpet Club with 3 hrs to wait. I have no status with United/SA and I only have AC membership, but as my final destination was international, even though it was just Mexico, as I was flying 1st, that unlocked access to the United Club. (Try doing that with AA)

All I have to say is the the AC club in T4 should be embarrassed at the state of that club when compared to the United Red Carpet Club! Talk about night and day! If it had been a little warmer that night, I would have hung out on the little terrace overlooking the apron and would have been in aviation heaven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.