Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Ticket Agents rude and swore at me

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
the initials of the redacted names of the AA employees
You went to Harvard! I knew it! No wonder you have all the inside scoop!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by tom911
Wonder how long until one of your associates is denied boarding. Do keep us updated how the AA employees react to being captured on video, particularly if it happens at the gate or on an aircraft.

I flew into LAX from LHR last night with a tight connection. LAX employees couldn't have been nicer in assuring I got over to the remote terminal as expeditiously as possible (had one of those orange envelopes they hand out with tight connections). Showed up at 4:53 for a 5pm departure. Didn't matter. My flight didn't leave the gate until 9:30 due to SFO weather issues. It was that bad last night. Even got free sandwiches and soft drinks at the gate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk
I have a similar LAX travel experience recently. We flew into LAX from LIH this past Friday needing to connect to SFO - the day with all the cancellations due to heavy flooding. The LAX employees assisting us to re-route to SJC couldn't have been more polite and helpful. Given the number of LAX-SFO cancellations that day, we saved a good 24 hours in LA... Its been a rough few days at LAX with bad weather conditions, and I'm sure a very tough environment to work in... two sides to every story.

Cheers.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
amazon.com and others sell bodycams. Don't get annoyed. The rude ones are small fries that will never get far in life. Therefore, they should get government aid to combat that injustice that the OP did to them.

Seriously the OP should move up in life, on to bigger and better things.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:40 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
An old incident at LAX happened to me:
I went to use the men's room (near the gate); I was #1 on the upg list, when I returned to the gate I saw that I was NOW cleared. I approached the gate to get my new seat assignment (in FC), I said to the agent "I see I'm now cleared for my upg", agent "did you hear me page you to come to the podium?"
Maybe it's the LAX air...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
There are some repulsive comments in this thread - referring to a Hertz employee casually as an "ex-con", the idea that Harvard graduates are somehow due better service ... if you're talking about people as if they are subhuman or at least below your level of humanity, it's not a surprise you're being treated poorly. Just a suggestion from someone who has worked on the service side and interacted both as a low-value customer and a high-level one.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:38 pm

Steveholt, thank you for finally saying that!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I suppose we won't heard back from the OP but I've generally had very good experiences with AA Employees at LAX, at least some of whom have gone above and beyond.

On the other hand, I find some of the contract employees to be a bit of a pain. I usually have my hands full when I am going to the pre-check escalator and as I'm trying to open my phone screen while pulling my carryon just so I can prove I have pre-check, I often find that person unnecessarily difficult as the want to closely examine my boarding pass to be absolutely certain I have pre-check. It's not as if I'm going to be able to go anywhere at the top of the escalator if I don't

As for the discipline issue, California law is very strict on the information that can be disclosed regarding employees. Very few employers will disclose such information for legal purposes. I realize that's frustrating not to know what happened but I presume with your background, you have some experience in managing staff.

I do believe these emails, even if form emails, get routed to the responsible person if there is enough information to do something about it.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
If the agent really swore at you you were probably rude yourself. Otherwise you would probably not get such a response.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I did get the name of the Hertz employee who threatened me enough to be a bit afraid of getting out of the car. A simple Google search results in multiple mugshots. So yes, if you are convicted of multiple crimes and harass/yell/threaten/swear at me in a rental car because I didn't know you wanted me to park somewhere else, I am going to refer to you as an ex-con. That doesn't mean I think I'm better or worse than him, it means I think he's an ex-con whose in the wrong job.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Comments on both sides of the reported issue contain irrelevant information. The fact that one person had a great experience at LAX doesn't mean that another person did. On the other hand, Harvard grads don't deserve better treatment than people who dropped out of fourth grade. Similarly, if you describe one person as an "Asian lady" why not describe another as 5 foot 6 with brown hair (but OP did not)?

If what OP says happened did happen, absolutely nothing justifies it under any circumstance. Period. The proper response is to report the incident and then to make your own decisions going forward. You do not need the individual's name to make a report. A description and first name will do just fine, coupled with the location, function and time of day. In fact, if the agent accessed your PNR, AA will be able to see that just fine.

Those who expect an employer to report back on actions taken should not. It may not be lawful, it may not be permitted by contract, and it may be against policy. It also does little to resolve issues. For everyone here who might say, "I got that idiot fired" there is someone who would say, "I never would have made the report if I had known." Bluntly, it is not your business.

What is your business is your business. If OP, Harvard degree and all, wants to take his business elsewhere, he ought to do that. If he seriously thinks that posting a rant on Facebook will cause his friends to jump ship from AA or to run out and start making fools of themselves by taking video so that a lipreader can determine whether the person they encounter uses inapprorpriate language, let him.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Thumper was Air Force and Columbia University.
I damn well better get a cheese platter on the flight home tonight.
I've alerted my LinkedIn followers to be ready for an update.

And, yes, trolling post, not contributing to the benefit of the entire FT community. It feels good. I deactivated OMNI years ago.
I had forgotten the thrill. wheeeeeeeeeeeee
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I suppose we won't heard back from the OP but I've generally had very good experiences with AA Employees at LAX, at least some of whom have gone above and beyond.

On the other hand, I find some of the contract employees to be a bit of a pain...
Of not all that much consequence-- and not directly even related to what you were relaying as that was a different position-- but, many of the folks that people are referring to contract employees are no longer contract employees, they are AA employees.

This particular one would have been one of the new, insourced, CAR positions and as I've mentioned, they are "a work in progress" at the very best. They are undertrained and in some cases undermotivated and no one with a straight face would ever say they were anything other than "the best available" (in a bad way.)

All that said, I tend to strongly concur that this was very much a two-way affair in terms of how it escalated.

Last edited by JonNYC; Feb 22, 2017 at 6:44 am
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Exactly - my wife and I went to a Big 12 school - would it have been ok for the agent to be rude to us because we're inferior human beings?
Depends entirely on which B12 school!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Depends entirely on which B12 school!
BOOMER!!!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by dylanks
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Sounds like every visit to the counter at DCA . Sorry to hear that such behavior has spread westward.

One piece of advice: Snail mail. I've found that if I spend the time to write a letter and mail it, the replies, while still underwhelming, are better than the online complaint route. As always -- YMMV.

Cheers
That's because their software cannot auto-generate a response to a written letter. Given how fast AA responds to emails I'm nearly certain their software generates a response and a human might make a small tweak before it's sent. It would not surprise me to hear that the first round of replies are never seen by a human.
Good point.

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
If the agent really swore at you you were probably rude yourself. Otherwise you would probably not get such a response.
Disagree. CS agents today, generally and imo, assume the customer is wrong or did something wrong and treat the customer accordingly. I've had CS agents tee off ranting and raving for no reason at all --- (I have also seen customers do the same). No provocation required.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.