Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Ticket Agents rude and swore at me

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a situation with a Hertz Local Edition return in Chicago. The ex-con garage attendant thought I disrespected him when he was trying to wave me (from behind) into a parking stall -- obv I couldn't see him behind my back and I had the radio on pretty loudly. Anyway, he came up to the car and was swearing and yelling at me to "get the f^&K out of the car," and other such nonsense. I started recording and so did other Hertz customers. I got a $200 immediate gift certificate from the station manager and I contacted Hertz via Twitter with a link to the video on YouTube.

Bottom line, Hertz was cagey about what happened because it involved HR matters. Originally I was annoyed because I wanted unequivocal "you were right, he was wrong" and I did get that informally when I got the $200, but I wanted it written from Hertz. That didn't happen and I understand. They can't go around saying that they've fired someone or written them up. Laws, policies, HR best practices, etc.

A year ago I would have disagreed with the premise of your post. Like CSR's for travel vendors don't do this. But then I had a Hertz garage attendant screaming at me and telling me to "get the f*$k out" and I recorded it and realized it does happen.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Unless something is different at LAX, all airport require I'D to be worn and visible. Also anyone has the right to challenge someone not displaying it.
Within the AOA.

As it was explained to me it is required to display a SIDA when handling bags at the counter but not to stand behind ticket counter. Each airport has its own rules with some being much more restrictive than others.

Photography of badges is almost universally prohibited across all airports however.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What are C and DD? Sorry...I didn't go to Harvard...someone's going to have to fill me in.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
What are C and DD? Sorry...I didn't go to Harvard...someone's going to have to fill me in.
I just assumed they were bra sizes.
Suspended

the initials of the redacted names of the AA employees

Originally Posted by Guvner067
Makes sense then that Asian lady is identified differently...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brettsir
Within the AOA.

As it was explained to me it is required to display a SIDA when handling bags at the counter but not to stand behind ticket counter. Each airport has its own rules with some being much more restrictive than others.
They have to wear their SIDA badges if they are in any secured area (post-TSA, AOA, etc.), but not in the public spaces.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Sounds like every visit to the counter at DCA . Sorry to hear that such behavior has spread westward.

One piece of advice: Snail mail. I've found that if I spend the time to write a letter and mail it, the replies, while still underwhelming, are better than the online complaint route. As always -- YMMV.

Cheers
That's because their software cannot auto-generate a response to a written letter. Given how fast AA responds to emails I'm nearly certain their software generates a response and a human might make a small tweak before it's sent. It would not surprise me to hear that the first round of replies are never seen by a human.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by Mdg1775

Anyone have similar experience? Is this the accepted culture at LAX?
Maybe these strange things just happen to Harvard alums.

This Yale alum has never had a similar experience with AA at LAX.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Guvner067
I already like DD the best, for some reason.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Mdg1775
My wife is flying later today, I have told her and will tell my thousands of LinkedIn associates to capture their encounter with AA Reps on video.
Wonder how long until one of your associates is denied boarding. Do keep us updated how the AA employees react to being captured on video, particularly if it happens at the gate or on an aircraft.

I flew into LAX from LHR last night with a tight connection. LAX employees couldn't have been nicer in assuring I got over to the remote terminal as expeditiously as possible (had one of those orange envelopes they hand out with tight connections). Showed up at 4:53 for a 5pm departure. Didn't matter. My flight didn't leave the gate until 9:30 due to SFO weather issues. It was that bad last night. Even got free sandwiches and soft drinks at the gate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tom911
Wonder how long until one of your associates is denied boarding.
I doubt it'll ever happen, as most people pay exactly zero attention to what their LinkedIn connections are saying.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by tom911
Wonder how long until one of your associates is denied boarding. Do keep us updated how the AA employees react to being captured on video, particularly if it happens at the gate or on an aircraft.
I dunno; in 2017, I'd say we're rapidly approaching a tipping point where the odds are greater than 50% that you are being recorded by someone. Everyone's got a phone; everyone is recording their vacation or whatever. It's pretty near ubiquitous. Policies "prohibiting" the video recording of anyone are going to get pretty hard to enforce in the 21st century.

Meanwhile...I've never understood why FT gets so many one-hit-wonder posters who believe their single posts are going to change the world. <shrugs>
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
To be fair to OP, a friend of mine had a pretty aggravating situation at LAX with AA employees once when I was waiting at the gate since she was running late. I personally though have had only positive experiences with AA employees at LAX, and will hopefully continue to do so later this week

I think, at least for now, OPs situation is an exception to the rule. But hey, maybe I get preferential treatment being a product of the UC system

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.