Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by redtop43
I am flying Flagship First into LAX, then after a 4-5 hour layover continuing on to LAS with a friend. Is it correct that I can guest her into the Flagship Lounge, but not FFD?
If it is Flagship First arrival off an international flight, then you would be able to guest her into both.

If it is Flagship First arrival from JFK or MIA, you will not be able to guest anyone in on account of the class of service. But if you have OW Sapphire or Emerald status through a program other than AA or AS, you'll be able to guest her into the Flagship Lounge.

This is, of course, assuming they are open.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by DMPHL
If it is Flagship First arrival off an international flight, then you would be able to guest her into both.

If it is Flagship First arrival from JFK or MIA, you will not be able to guest anyone in on account of the class of service. But if you have OW Sapphire or Emerald status through a program other than AA or AS, you'll be able to guest her into the Flagship Lounge.

This is, of course, assuming they are open.
It is a FF arrival from MIA. So you're saying I can't guest her into the FL. I assume not the AC either then. (I don't have an AC membership.)
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
It is a FF arrival from MIA. So you're saying I can't guest her into the FL. I assume not the AC either then. (I don't have an AC membership.)
That is correct. Officially. Maybe you'll find a sympathetic agent. But black letter law as stated on AA website, you would not be permitted to take a guest into any of them based solely on class of service.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Not totally sure this is the right thread but can someone with a crystal ball let us know if there is any chance that the DFW FF lounge is likely to be open mid Feb when we will be flying DFW OGG. It might affect our choice of hotel but not a big issue if it’s just the AC access.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, SW A List Preferred
Hi all,

I am a Plat Pro arriving in MIA from BCN, then flying onto CMH, but the MIA-CMH flight is on a separate reservation.

Based on what I am seeing on AA.com, PP get Flagship access "departing on or connecting to a qualifying same-day international flight."

I can't quite tell-"connecting to" still makes it sound like it's only for departures, not arrivals. Would I get access as an arrival? Or not, since my flights are on separate reservations, thus not "connecting"?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chalmers3716
Hi all,

I am a Plat Pro arriving in MIA from BCN, then flying onto CMH, but the MIA-CMH flight is on a separate reservation.

Based on what I am seeing on AA.com, PP get Flagship access "departing on or connecting to a qualifying same-day international flight."

I can't quite tell-"connecting to" still makes it sound like it's only for departures, not arrivals. Would I get access as an arrival? Or not, since my flights are on separate reservations, thus not "connecting"?
You're fine. Connecting from a qualifying flight on the same day of arrival, or before 6:00AM the next day grants you access based on your tier status (and/or if you were flying in J on the qualifying Int'l segment). Being on separate reservations has no bearing..(but keep your BP from the BCN-MIA flight to make access validation easier).
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA General
Hello, having trouble finding a post that matches my situation: Flying AA SCL-JFK-DCA on Business International (AA 777). The JFK-DCA portion is in coach (Economy) lay-over 3 hours. Would I be able to access the Flagship lounge at JFK before my flight to DCA?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by rhuerta36
Hello, having trouble finding a post that matches my situation: Flying AA SCL-JFK-DCA on Business International (AA 777). The JFK-DCA portion is in coach (Economy) lay-over 3 hours. Would I be able to access the Flagship lounge at JFK before my flight to DCA?
Yes, you will have access.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by rhuerta36
Did the exact same but SCL-JFK-MIA a couple of weeks ago, had no issues entering the FL upon arrival.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 12:26 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I have to say thank you to those on this thread who helped me maximize my FL access on my pedestrian LAX > MIA flight today. As you can tell from my bio I've been captive to UA for ages but between these lounges and the truly incredible service I had on my route today I'm at least going to shift my coast-to-coast to AA.

Without FT, no chance do I dare even try to scan into the lounge on arrival.

Thank you!
work2fly and Global321 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I'm an AY Emerald and wish to visit the FL while flying AA. I'm using my AY FF# for the AA flights.

Will a scan of my AA boarding pass permit entrance, or will I also need to show some separate proof of the AY status?

Thank you.

Last edited by work2fly; Jan 28, 2022 at 3:20 pm
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
As a BA Emerald it's been hit and miss at LAX. About half of the time there's a question about what a BA Gold (Guest List) as far as OW status. There's a couple of AAgents who've asked for my card several times each. All of the issues have been with mobile BPs, not paper ones. However, most of them don't have any problem. All this is pre FL re-opening at LAX.

Never an issue at JFK, PHL, and MIA
work2fly likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by work2fly
I'm an AY Emerald and wish to visit the FL while flying AA. I'm using my AY FF# for the AA flights.

Will a scan of my AA boarding pass permit entrance, or will I also need to show some separate proof of the AY status?

Thank you.
I have never been asked for the card when the FF is in the booking. It has also worked for me to have my AAdvantage number in the booking and showing separately my AY Elite card.
renila likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Confirmed LAX was able to use our BPs (only) to admit us.
renila likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 4:12 am
Suspended

Could someone please help me.

MAD-JFK op by IB in C
JFK-MIA op by AA in domestic F

All flights are running on the same day.
Would the passenger get Flagship Lounge access in JFK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.