Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
OK, good, good.
PHX is sorta west coast ishh
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
PHX is sorta west coast ishh
Agreed. This is a bad move anyway, but at least they’re not expanding it to short haul West Coast domestics (aka free upgrade) crowd. 👍
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Agreed. This is a bad move anyway, but at least they’re not expanding it to short haul West Coast domestics (aka free upgrade) crowd. 👍
I don’t think it’s a bad move, these are expensive and long flights that deserve lounge access. Follows their competition also. American is starting to move away from route based lounge access and more cabin based similar to delta
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:53 pm
Suspended

I don’t think it’s a bad move, these are expensive and long flights that deserve lounge access. Follows their competition also. American is starting to move away from route based lounge access and more cabin based similar to delta
Lounges are too crowded. I don’t want large families with screaming children taking up valuable space on their “once in a lifetime” and “super expensive” (aka $1500 round trip) trip to a leisure destination taking up valuable space.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Lounges are too crowded. I don’t want large families with screaming children taking up valuable space on their “once in a lifetime” and “super expensive” (aka $1500 round trip) trip to a leisure destination taking up valuable space.
The Flagship Lounge's very never very crowded pre-COVID.
Also, most of the passengers in the Flagship Lounge's were passengers heading to Asia and Oceania. At this moment, travel to Asia is dead because of border restrictions.
Maybe the MIA and DFW FL's might be crowded when it re-opens, but LAX, ORD and JFK would remain empty for a long time until travel recovers.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Just idle curiosity here, but what has everyone's experience been with FL access when traveling with the family? I am the only one with status (PP) and would be traveling with SO, 13 and 8 year old daughters in Y+. Is that rule stringently enforced?

Oh, I'm aware the lounges are closed right now, this would be next summer and the routing would be AUS-ORD-BCN and back, all on AA metal.

Last edited by MikeShores; Jul 14, 2021 at 10:10 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeShores
Just idle curiosity here, but what has everyone's experience been with FL access when traveling with the family? I am the only one with status (PP) and would be traveling with SO, 13 and 8 year old daughters in Y+. Is that rule stringently enforced?

Oh, I'm aware the lounges are closed right now, this would be next summer and the routing would be AUS-ORD-BCN and back, all on AA metal.
I know many on Flyer talk think you have no chance of getting in, however if your a smooth talker and/or know the lounge agents and all your asking for is extra guests you can get in fairly easily.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeShores
Is that rule stringently enforced?
Hopefully.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I thought all the Flagship Lounges were closed?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nologic
I thought all the Flagship Lounges were closed?
they are, MIA will open in September rest will follow before the new year
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EP
Does flying to Africa or the middle east qualify for access?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
they are, MIA will open in September rest will follow before the new year
Glad to hear MIA is first. I like it the best of the three i have visited (ORD and JFK, to round out the list).
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by craig_2029
Does flying to Africa or the middle east qualify for access?
Yes, definitely, assuming you have a J/F ticket or the proper elite status.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Glad to hear MIA is first. I like it the best of the three i have visited (ORD and JFK, to round out the list).
The FL at MIA was pretty good pre pandemic. The GAs and other services suck big time as of right now and it does not have to do with pandemic stuff. Suffered there in late June with the family. They were also terrible pre pandemic. Mrs. boerne has told me to avoid MIA at all costs. Trending toward UA. In my opinion.....
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by boerne
The FL at MIA was pretty good pre pandemic. The GAs and other services suck big time as of right now and it does not have to do with pandemic stuff. Suffered there in late June with the family. They were also terrible pre pandemic. Mrs. boerne has told me to avoid MIA at all costs. Trending toward UA. In my opinion.....
This has been the case in terms of service at MIA for decades. Nothing new really. Still, the horrible service in MIA looks SQ-esque in comparison to PHL or EWR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.