Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Note that CX will pull out of KUL by May 2017
Huh? Not really, they're just shunting KUL to KA. Makes zero difference to us.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Huh? Not really, they're just shunting KUL to KA. Makes zero difference to us.
Huge difference especially if you are in the business cabin. CX usually flies flat bed business 1-3 out of the 4 daily flights to KUL. With KA, it'll be all regional seats
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by nov11
Seems like your HKG-DPS (773) and CGK-HKG (772) are both regional seats (and both flights are quite long). I am confused about your HND return (it's not in the itinerary).

JL does not serve DPS, only CGK (with nice intercontinental product on JL720/726). Alternatively, you can fly MH to KUL from either CGK/DPS and then fly CX/MH to HKG (2-3 planes KUL-HKG on CX is with Cirrus flat bed) and MH 737.

Or you can also take MH or JL to NRT from KUL. Subject to last minute aircraft swap, all NRT flights are now operated with the Thompson Vantage flat beds (and a nice Porsche amenity kit) and depending on when you travel, JL's KUL flights will either be flat bed 767 or soon the SS9 787-9.
Thanks for the Info..

Sorry about the confusion of my post. I was hoping to get a JAL flight on the return so i could try there product and HND out. I was unable to. And to be honest I didn't expect Cathay Pacific to be available. I haven't had much luck spending my miles to SE Asia unless there charging me 3-400k and I refuse to spend my miles at such ridiculous rates unless its in a Emirates suit. I tend to donate my miles often. I was really surprised I found these flights at 140k/165k

I want to keep monitoring the flights to see if JAL options come available. Not sure what the cost to change a Award flight would be And hearing now that both my HKG to DPS/CGK to HKG flights will be regional planes maybe I'd try to change both. Thanks All for the reply and the Info
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by grbauctions
I want to keep monitoring the flights to see if JAL options come available. Not sure what the cost to change a Award flight would be And hearing now that both my HKG to DPS/CGK to HKG flights will be regional planes maybe I'd try to change both. Thanks All for the reply and the Info
CX's regional business class is certainly not that bad, and the hard product is much better than it used to be. If your goal is to fly LAX-DPS on an AA award in a premium cabin, it doesn't get to look much better than that. Award space on the HKG-DPS segment can very tough to find.

And JL is very good about releasing last minute award seats, but these probably won't start popping up until 1-2 weeks before the flight. If you want to change your CGK-HKG-LAX return on CX to CGK-NRT-LAX on JL, there would be no fee. But changing your outbound LAX-HKG-DPS to LAX-NRT-CGK on JL would incur the $150 award change/re-deposit fee, as you're changing your destination from DPS to CGK.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:25 pm

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but figure its a good place for advice since the outbound is CX 1st.

I have a trip booked for early October on AA miles:
SAN-LAX-HKG (CX 1st)
HKG-NRT-LAX-SAN (JAL 1st)

My travel companion will no longer be joining me.

I haven't decided whether I will cancel the trip, take the trip alone, or bring along someone else, but I have the following inquiries:

1. It is my understanding there is no way to change the name on an itinerary, absent there being a minor misspelling or marriage, divorce, and/or court ordered name change. Are there any exceptions to this? What if I just want to change the first name (i.e. taking a different family member)? Has anyone been able to convince AA to change the name on a reservation?

2. Is there a way to cancel and simultaneously rebook, so as not to lose the award inventory? My understanding is no, but worth the question.

3. If the answer to 2 is no, what are the chances the awards return to inventory, and how quickly?

Not sure if anyone has any other ideas - but appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but figure its a good place for advice since the outbound is CX 1st.

SAN-LAX-HKG (CX 1st)

I haven't decided whether I will cancel the trip, take the trip alone, or bring along someone else, but I have the following inquiries:

1. It is my understanding there is no way to change the name on an itinerary, absent there being a minor misspelling or marriage, divorce, and/or court ordered name change. Are there any exceptions to this? What if I just want to change the first name (i.e. taking a different family member)? Has anyone been able to convince AA to change the name on a reservation?

2. Is there a way to cancel and simultaneously rebook, so as not to lose the award inventory? My understanding is no, but worth the question.

3. If the answer to 2 is no, what are the chances the awards return to inventory, and how quickly?

Not sure if anyone has any other ideas - but appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
In my experience CX will not even change a minor misspelling. The last 2 letters of my son's name were reversed once and they refused to change it. I had to cancel and rebook (no fees for me and the space was available)

It completely depends if the inventory will return and there is no way that I am aware of to be certain in advance. You might do a test reservation on a day around the date of your trip and see if the inventory returns when you cancel.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CFFrost

SAN-LAX-HKG (CX 1st)

AA will not change name to a different person. There is no guarantee award space will (ever) come back after cancellation.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
CX's regional business class is certainly not that bad, and the hard product is much better than it used to be. If your goal is to fly LAX-DPS on an AA award in a premium cabin, it doesn't get to look much better than that. Award space on the HKG-DPS segment can very tough to find.

And JL is very good about releasing last minute award seats, but these probably won't start popping up until 1-2 weeks before the flight. If you want to change your CGK-HKG-LAX return on CX to CGK-NRT-LAX on JL, there would be no fee. But changing your outbound LAX-HKG-DPS to LAX-NRT-CGK on JL would incur the $150 award change/re-deposit fee, as you're changing your destination from DPS to CGK.
Thank you very much..
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandawars
I'm currently on CX 811 departing 8/28. My buddy is on same flight but leaving a few days later but would like to fly with me. EF shows A1. What are the chances CX releases that last seat for AA award?
A inventory is not particularly relevant. What is F inventory?
Very very unlikely the last (actual) F seat will be made available to partners. Probably for AsiaMiles members, though.

ETA: oops, past 8/28 so moot.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by seawolf
Consider it your lucky day. 110K award without with incorrect miles deducted.
You were right. Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by pandawars
I'm currently on CX 811 departing 8/28. My buddy is on same flight but leaving a few days later but would like to fly with me. EF shows A1. What are the chances CX releases that last seat for AA award?
I'd be curious if you ended up seeing the last F seat released for awards.
Did you keep watching award space on that flight?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:10 am

Do last minute F seats ever get released for CX881 (LAX-HKG departing @ 0:55) ?
I've been watching last-minute award seat availability on this flight for the past few days as I am hoping to get a seat on this flight next month, but I yet have to see a single seat becoming available.
Maybe this is one of the more popular flights with more demand?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:54 am

In schedule update this week, CX added lots of longhaul J and F equipment (359 & 77W) between HKG & SIN. See early 2017.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by agjil
Do last minute F seats ever get released for CX881 (LAX-HKG departing @ 0:55) ?
I've been watching last-minute award seat availability on this flight for the past few days as I am hoping to get a seat on this flight next month, but I yet have to see a single seat becoming available.
Maybe this is one of the more popular flights with more demand?

Well I just did a search and tonight's/tomorrow mornings 881 as an award sear open for partners. There is two available on EF.

I have seen the last seat become available within the last 24-8hours before departure but it is rare.

I do see them open up at 7-10days if they have 5-4 seats open. Then once there is 3left they usually wait for 3-5 days out.

I start my searching around the 15-20 day mark and and become more frequent during each day nearing what day I want to fly.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:29 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Colin
In schedule update this week, CX added lots of longhaul J and F equipment (359 & 77W) between HKG & SIN. See early 2017.
That's an eternity. The flight yesterday from TPE-HKG went from a 77W for OLCI (48 hours prior), to a 359, and ended up being a 333! At least it was all long haul j.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.