Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Haha, thanks for the advice. I wouldn't mind CX J, but my wife really would want us in the same cabin.
If you're fine with the morning or early afternoon flight, your odds are very good.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:00 am

Haha, thanks for the advice. I wouldn't mind CX J, but my wife really would want us in the same cabin.
My wife used to be the same way. Used to be. Until she flew CX F.

As noted, apart from dining together (which is novel but uncomfortable), you likely won't even speak to your wife for the ~16 hr duration of your flight. If hanging out, playing cards, looking at a travel book on your destination, etc is what you're after, you should sit in J.

Plus, as long as one of you is ticketed in F, you get the quality time together in the nicer lounges.

Trust me (and most others), CX F is not a social place, whatsoever. The seating just doesn't allow for it. Here's a link to a quick TR my wife put on her blog. Notice at no point does she mention, "what a fabulous and stimulating conversation I enjoyed with my husband."

http://littletravelersnotebook.com/i...15/cx_f_class/

Good luck - Jamie
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:54 am

On several flights (773 and 744) we dined together and my wife never complained of being uncomfortable. Anything where we can dine together is her #1 choice.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
On several flights (773 and 744) we dined together and my wife never complained of being uncomfortable. Anything where we can dine together is her #1 choice.
Which of you took the ottoman which is narrow and has no recline? That's the uncomfortable position that I was referring to. I'm not a big guy, but I would only take that seat for dining or for helping build a Lego. It is way too uncomfortable to hang out in without a purposes.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Which of you took the ottoman which is narrow and has no recline? That's the uncomfortable position that I was referring to. I'm not a big guy, but I would only take that seat for dining or for helping build a Lego. It is way too uncomfortable to hang out in without a purposes.
Agree - we use that seat for drinking champagne together to celebrate our trip, or maybe for caviar service and that's it. The rest of the time, in our own 36" wide seats watching movies and eating/drinking ourselves into a coma.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
My wife took the ottoman and didn't complain, so I figured it was fine. I'll be sure to avoid it in the future ^
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My wife loves the dining together; she is somewhat petite.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:12 pm

For those who have done CX F and EY F apartments, how do you think they compare?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:37 pm
Suspended

For those who have done CX F and EY F apartments, how do you think they compare?
Everyone should take EY A380 F once or twice. I find CX F to be better in most ways over all, personally.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
I've not taken EY apartments yet, but i've taken EY F on a A340 and I think the pajamas are not as good! But more seriously, I think that the EY F china is probably some of the best in the air, but I find CX's food to be way better. Service I feel is about the same on both.

A380 F hard product looks like its way better though.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
From a hard product perspective EY wins hands down. That and the entire novelty effect (single aisle A380, showers, etc.) are worth giving it a shot.

But from the perspective of the overall experience, EY service is probably more hit or miss whereas CX is more consistent in overall service delivery (assuming HKG based crew) and I think tends to be more genuine than going through the fancy motions like you can get from the ME3. Another important point is that depending on final destination, transferring in HKG >>>> AUH, particularly since EY hasn't opened up its F lounge yet.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by daron4000
From a hard product perspective EY wins hands down. That and the entire novelty effect (single aisle A380, showers, etc.) are worth giving it a shot.

But from the perspective of the overall experience, EY service is probably more hit or miss whereas CX is more consistent in overall service delivery (assuming HKG based crew) and I think tends to be more genuine than going through the fancy motions like you can get from the ME3. Another important point is that depending on final destination, transferring in HKG >>>> AUH, particularly since EY hasn't opened up its F lounge yet.
Thanks for the input.

I'm going from MLE-LAX so those are the options. The EY F is on hold so that's a sure thing. But it routes through JFK and then will need 1 or 2 more flights back home. That's a lot of connections. CX will be more direct. But wife wants to try EY F, as do I. Not sure it's worth it, though.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
On several flights (773 and 744) we dined together and my wife never complained of being uncomfortable.
I dined once with my son on QF F. He declined the next meal. It wasn't the comfort, but the company . He wanted to do his own thing.

Honestly, on a plane, I'm not sure if you want to be carrying a regular conversation where you have other pax, limiting topics, being loud etc. And eating with limited conversation does restrict enjoyment to a big extent. Just my opinion.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by daron4000
... CX is more consistent in overall service delivery (assuming HKG based crew) ...
This is a surprisingly important qualifier. My last CX F experience was HKG-LAX about a month ago, and it was an LAX-based crew. They weren't bad, exactly, but they were very noticeably less good.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I just released CX 885 (LAX-HKG, 1255 dep.) for 01JUL and it's available in Z now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.