Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2017)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Global321
I believe you will have access.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

I don't think that is correct. See the link above. Many people in this thread have mentioned access on arrival.
Thank You.
I did see that link. That is why I am not so sure about access.
OK. Let's say, I will have access - but what to do with luggage? since I cannot collect it, but do not want it laying around for several hours on the carousel.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
It's a catch 22. You can hope that someone from the baggage service office will pull it off for you when they see no one's claimed it and you'll be able to get it from the BSO. The staff in the lounge MAY be willing to call down to baggage claim and have that arranged.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
...The staff in the lounge MAY be willing to call down to baggage claim and have that arranged.
Thank You. That is my only hope.
But You think, the staff may be as well reluctant to contact baggage claim? ((
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
I want to say the answer to my question is no, but figure I would ask the experts anyway.

I am AA Platinum traveling on 2 tickets. One ticket is on CX LAX-HKG-LAX. The second ticket upon returning to LAX is LAX-ORD-MSY on AA. I assume I would not have access to the Flagship Lounge at ORD since it is a separate ticket, correct?

However, I believe I would have access to the OW Lounge and Flagship Lounge (if open at the time) when I arrive at LAX from HKG, correct?

I do have an AC membership, but would like to use the better lounges if possible.

Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by joepercussion1
I want to say the answer to my question is no, but figure I would ask the experts anyway.

I am AA Platinum traveling on 2 tickets. One ticket is on CX LAX-HKG-LAX. The second ticket upon returning to LAX is LAX-ORD-MSY on AA. I assume I would not have access to the Flagship Lounge at ORD since it is a separate ticket, correct?

However, I believe I would have access to the OW Lounge and Flagship Lounge (if open at the time) when I arrive at LAX from HKG, correct?

I do have an AC membership, but would like to use the better lounges if possible.

Thanks!
Assuming all same day as INTL arrival...

Yes, you will have access in LAX. Separate tickets do not matter. (Many of us do it regularly.)

I have not tried to access a FL on the 'second' connection, but I don't think you will have a problem. Just save your BPs. You are still on your arrival day.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Assuming all same day as INTL arrival...

Yes, you will have access in LAX. Separate tickets do not matter. (Many of us do it regularly.)

I have not tried to access a FL on the 'second' connection, but I don't think you will have a problem. Just save your BPs. You are still on your arrival day.
So here is where it is "tricky" and what is confusing me, and what I want to be sure of.

HKG-LAX departs on 11/20 and arrives at 8:40pm on 11/19. Definitely have access to all lounges here.
I am taking the 1:10am LAX-ORD, landing around 7:30am on 11/20. With those times and dates, do you think they would grant access at Chicago? Technically, it is the same day as the departure, but I could see it being a stretch...
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:17 pm

So here is where it is "tricky" and what is confusing me, and what I want to be sure of.

HKG-LAX departs on 11/20 and arrives at 8:40pm on 11/19. Definitely have access to all lounges here.
I am taking the 1:10am LAX-ORD, landing around 7:30am on 11/20. With those times and dates, do you think they would grant access at Chicago? Technically, it is the same day as the departure, but I could see it being a stretch...
In reality, the answer should be no. You landed on 11/19 and will be hitting ORD the next day on 11/20. However, the date thing might help you. You left on 11/20 and you are trying to access the FL on 11/20. I think most agents will look at the dates and say okay.

Good luck and please report back on your results.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM

You're incorrect. 192 departs HKG and arrives in LAX 3 hours earlier on the same day, not a day earlier.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:43 pm

In reality, the answer should be no. You landed on 11/19 and will be hitting ORD the next day on 11/20. However, the date thing might help you. You left on 11/20 and you are trying to access the FL on 11/20. I think most agents will look at the dates and say okay.

Will do!

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
You're incorrect. 192 departs HKG and arrives in LAX 3 hours earlier on the same day, not a day earlier.
I am flying on CX. Itinerary is as follows:

AA (Ticket 1): MSY-LAX-ORD-MSY
CX (Ticket 2): LAX-HKG-LAX
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Thanks!
A potential warning for separate tickets:

About a week back, I was arriving at JFK from HKG in PE as an AA EXP, and connecting on a separate ticket on AA. Under the rules, I absolutely have access to the FL. When the agent scanned my inbound BP from CX, she said that it does not grant me access. Luckily, after telling her that I am EXP, she agreed that under the rules, I have access as a OWE.

But do note that if they ask to scan your inbound BP, it might not say that you have access. The BP is often what they go by, and if it doesn't say that you have access, then you'll need to make sure that the agent knows that regardless, you have access under the rules.

BUT, technically, you should not have access in ORD, as your connecting flight must be the same day (which means before 6AM the following day) as your qualifying international segment.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:18 pm

Lounge access question

Hello everyone. I'm flying charlotte to frankfurt in a couple weeks and have an onwards connection to Amsterdam on Lufthansa (all booked on the same ticket through AA). I'm a platinum pro, will I have lounge access in Frankfurt? It would be nice as we have a 5 hour layover. Also, what are the chances of having one of the refurbished 332s on the route and scoring a premium economy upgrade?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GT1009
Hello everyone. I'm flying charlotte to frankfurt in a couple weeks and have an onwards connection to Amsterdam on Lufthansa (all booked on the same ticket through AA). I'm a platinum pro, will I have lounge access in Frankfurt? It would be nice as we have a 5 hour layover. Also, what are the chances of having one of the refurbished 332s on the route and scoring a premium economy upgrade?
You won't have access in FRA to any lounges based on your AA status. It won't matter who issued the ticket, since the operating carrier is LH. If you have any Star Alliance status, that would get you in, but not OW status.

The alternative is Priority Pass.

As to the chances of having a refurbished A332...There's not guarantee, as there is only one A332 in the fleet that has completed its retrofit. The good news that that one plane seems to have been dedicated to CLT/FRA rotations over the past few days. If that aircraft is going to be based at CLT, then I'd say your chance of flying on that aircraft are good.

You'll have to look at the seat map in the week leading up, and try to pick PE seats, or potentially call in to have them assigned.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by GT1009
Even if the rules say "No access" you can still try.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by DMPHL
A potential warning for separate tickets:

About a week back, I was arriving at JFK from HKG in PE as an AA EXP, and connecting on a separate ticket on AA. Under the rules, I absolutely have access to the FL. When the agent scanned my inbound BP from CX, she said that it does not grant me access. Luckily, after telling her that I am EXP, she agreed that under the rules, I have access as a OWE.

But do note that if they ask to scan your inbound BP, it might not say that you have access. The BP is often what they go by, and if it doesn't say that you have access, then you'll need to make sure that the agent knows that regardless, you have access under the rules.

BUT, technically, you should not have access in ORD, as your connecting flight must be the same day (which means before 6AM the following day) as your qualifying international segment.
Reporting back on the above. Upon arrival in LAX, I had no issues getting access to the oneworld lounge in TBIT. When I arrived at ORD, I presented my boarding pass for ORD-MSY as well as my CX boarding pass (note: I normally only have regular AC access with the Executive Mastercard). Agent was being trained and assisted by a trainer. ORD-MSY boarding pass was scanned, agent looked at both boarding passes, and was instructed by the trainer that I was eligible for access due to being on a continuation of international travel. She had to “check a box” on the computer, handed me a FL invitation, and sent me on my way. I did not have to ask for or about the FL to be given access.

FWIW, ORD FL is top notch!
DMPHL likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Reporting back on the above. Upon arrival in LAX, I had no issues getting access to the oneworld lounge in TBIT. When I arrived at ORD, I presented my boarding pass for ORD-MSY as well as my CX boarding pass (note: I normally only have regular AC access with the Executive Mastercard). Agent was being trained and assisted by a trainer. ORD-MSY boarding pass was scanned, agent looked at both boarding passes, and was instructed by the trainer that I was eligible for access due to being on a continuation of international travel. She had to “check a box” on the computer, handed me a FL invitation, and sent me on my way. I did not have to ask for or about the FL to be given access.

FWIW, ORD FL is top notch!
You were fortunate you got someone without much knowledge at ORD to allow you in. They should have noted your departure was after 6 AM the day after your qualifying flight and denied you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.