Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2017)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I've replaced the AA link in the wiki.

NB: I also ripped out text at the end about ticket refunds, which didn't seem to belong there...
There may have been a weird Wikipost merge; we've had a couple of IT anomalies. Thank you for updating the Wikipost. ^
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Just want to confirm I'm reading this correctly:

(Admirals Club Access for AC members)
Immediate family (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18) or up to 2 guests.
My husband is an AC member. We're traveling from LAX domestic together with our two minor children and my in-laws. The way I read this, either he can bring in the in-laws *or* his immediate family but not both. correct?

Possible alternative: We both have PP access through Case Sapphire Reserve. So maybe we could access the AS or KAL lounges.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by swise
Just want to confirm I'm reading this correctly:

(Admirals Club Access for AC members)

My husband is an AC member. We're traveling from LAX domestic together with our two minor children and my in-laws. The way I read this, either he can bring in the in-laws *or* his immediate family but not both. correct?

Possible alternative: We both have PP access through Case Sapphire Reserve. So maybe we could access the AS or KAL lounges.
You're reading that properly; there is not unlimited guest access. Guest passes (2x$59?) for the in-laws. TANSTAFFL.

It's not much different with Priority Pass, either, though Admirals Club is both more liberal about guests and more costly for the xcess guests ($59 each). There's generally a per person $27 guest access fee. Access depends on which membership level your credit card affords: link.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by JDiver
You're reading that properly; there is not unlimited guest access. Guest passes (2x$59?) for the in-laws. TANSTAFFL.

It's not much different with Priority Pass, either, though Admirals Club is both more liberal about guests and more costly for the xcess guests ($59 each). There's generally a per person $27 guest access fee. Access depends on which membership level your credit card affords: link.

Thanks. That "OR" makes all the difference. I used to go in to the AC with the family I used to nanny for, but that was ages ago, and it was in AUS, where the staff are super accommodating.

After reviewing at all the options, it's looking like the very mediocre KAL lounge in TBIT will be our home for a couple of hours. We have PP through the Chase Sapphire card, and I'm an authorized user, so we have two memberships. It looks like each member can bring in two guests, so we should be good to go. We could try our luck over at AS, but TBIT is closer to T4, where we depart.

After spending 8 hours at the nice One World lounge at TBIT last time we passed through LAX, KAL will be a let-down. But I think we'll survive. It's a tough life, isn't it?

ONE MORE QUESTION...
I hear that the LAX Admiral's Club in T4 has grab-and-go food right now while they're doing renovations. Can anyone confirm? Because if so, we'll swing by and snag some goodies before or after heading to TBIT.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by jcatman
Just flew LAX-MIA outbound on the 737 in First, and MIA-LAX return in First on a two-class A321.

Had access to the Qantas F lounge in LAX at the beginning of the outbound, and again at the end of the return flight (had to show boarding pass for continuing flight from LAX to my next destination later that day). Incredible benefit and much appreciated.

Can confirm that Qantas lounge staff have no expectation of tips when dining at the restaurant. At Flagship First Dining in JFK, your server presents you a large "card" at the end of the meal, with a personal hand-written thank you. Tip expected (my impression).
My understanding was that transcon 2-class flights did not qualify for QF F lounge access, as an EXP, unless you have a connecting international flight. Did you have an international connecting flight at MIA? Or is the transcon LAX-MIA flight on a 2-class F boarding pass enough for QF F access now?

Last edited by Time traveller; Oct 1, 2017 at 11:29 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Time traveller
My understanding was that transcon 2-class flights did not qualify for QF F lounge access, as an EXP, unless you have a connecting international flight. Did you have an international connecting flight at MIA? Or is the transcon LAX-MIA flight on a 2-class F boarding pass enough for QF F access now?
There was no international flight in my entire itinerary. Therefore, as you stated in your last sentence, I assume that transcon in F on the two-class was sufficient for access to the Qantas F lounge.

As another data point, the menu handed out in F on the transcon 2-class reads "Flagship First" at the top, with Sam Choy's picture....similar to what I have seen on the JFK-LAX transcon 3-class in F. The sundae cart is rolled down the aisle after the meal. Snack basket and fresh fruit is set up in the F galley as well. Deluxe quilts and pillows at each seat upon boarding.

There's been a definite upgrade to the transcon F service on these narrow-body 2-class birds. Way to go, AA. ^
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:36 pm

Coach leg on a J award ticket (AA to QR). Will I get lounge access? (to merge)

I am traveling on an award biz class ticket from LAX to MIA and then onto CPT via DOH. This is a business class ticket and they put me in economy for the domestic portion due to no availability. On the outbound first leg, even though I am flying economy, will they allow me into the lounge at LAX?

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by jarradm
I am traveling on an award biz class ticket from LAX to MIA and then onto CPT via DOH. This is a business class ticket and they put me in economy for the domestic portion due to no availability. On the outbound first leg, even though I am flying economy, will they allow me into the lounge at LAX?

Thanks!
Yes, as you're connecting to an eligible flight the same day.

We will merge this into the Lounge Access Help Desk thread.

/Moderator
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Don't forget to check if F becomes available on the coach segment later. I had 3 tickets I had to call in as the seats became available.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
LAX-JFK-YYZ in paid J lounge in JFK?

Booking a paid Biz ticket (maybe use SWU and go into F) and taking a red-eye LAX-JFK. This would give me about 3 hrs in JFK
The JFK-YYZ segment in on a ERJ145 so it only has Y class.

Will I get any lounge access in JFK? From reading on the AA website I want to say no
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:29 pm

Yes you will get access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK. Have done so on arrival several times.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Booking a paid Biz ticket (maybe use SWU and go into F) and taking a red-eye LAX-JFK. This would give me about 3 hrs in JFK
The JFK-YYZ segment in on a ERJ145 so it only has Y class.

Will I get any lounge access in JFK? From reading on the AA website I want to say no
As you're connecting to a oneworld flight the same day or by 6:00 the next day to or from an eligible flight you'll have access.

Link to oneworld lounge access tool.

We have merged your query into the current lounge access Help Desk thread.

/Moderator
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ckd38
Yes you will get access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK. Have done so on arrival several times.
Is that in Biz or First?
If I can get a better lounge in JFK (since I will be tired and hungry) I maybe upgrade to First, otherwise I will stay in Biz
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Is that in Biz or First?
If I can get a better lounge in JFK (since I will be tired and hungry) I maybe upgrade to First, otherwise I will stay in Biz
In either Business or First, you will be granted access on arrival to the Flagship Lounge at JFK.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:03 pm

Louge Access Question

Flying JFK-OGG via LAX on the outbound but via DFW on the return (to LGA).

I know I will have lounge access on the outbound as it is a transcon flight in business. Will I have access in DFW on the return to LGA?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.