Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by finallyhitgold
Hi there. I have looked on AA website and also forum - however if I am honest I lost the will to live. OK. My basic question is where will I have Lounge access? I am really confused about how this works as never usually fly AA

LHR-PHL AA Business (know we have lounge access here)
PHL-YUW (Economy as nothing else)

Staying in canada

YUW-PHL ( as above)
PHL-LAX (first class) - same say as earlier flight

Staying in LA

LAX-HNL (First class)

Staying in HNL

HNL-LAX-LHR (first and business)

Any help or advice would be great - traveling in 2 weeks
Hold onto all your boarding passes, first of all. You should receive biz lounge (Admirals Club) access in PHL for your inbound connection to YUW based on your long-haul J ticket. [EDIT: wait, who operates flights between PHL and Nunavut?! If it isn't AA, no PHL lounge access, sorry. Unless you're going to Montréal and meant YUL, in which case you're fine ]

You get zilch for YUW-PHL-LAX at any stage, sad to say. Same for LAX-HNL.

You get access to J lounges in both HNL and LAX on your way back (I think it's a JAL Sakura Lounge in HNL, Admirals Club or OneWorld biz lounge in the TBIT at LAX), plus the arrivals lounge in LHR.

[Edited edit: this is all provided you do not have Sapphire or Emerald status with a non-AA OneWorld carrier; if you do, lounges everywhere, of course.]

Hope that helps.

Last edited by NavSTL; Jul 8, 2017 at 5:35 pm
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
HNL has a jointly operated JL Sakura Lounge and AA Admirals Club. Extended f&b compared to Clubs, some really terrific people who have been working for the Club since they were down in the courtyard (which became the CO Presudents Club).

Slightly tricky to find, but explained in the Wikipost of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Help with reward flight BNA to PRG

I am looking to book two award flights in J for BNA to PRG. My date is not until 08/20/2018, but I am trying to think ahead so I am ready to book when the awards become available. Looking at awards as far into the future as I can for now, it appears that there are never any awards available for Sun/Mon travel on any dates from May to as far into June as I can see. This goes for J or Y. Can I assume that this will be the case into August? My travel date would be on a Monday, so it looks like I am either going to have to extend my vacation and fly on a Saturday, or cut it short and fly on Tuesday. Is my thinking right on this or am I missing something.

Are there other awards that may only be available by calling AA, or tricky routing that I may not know about?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gnggng
I am looking to book two award flights in J for BNA to PRG. My date is not until 08/20/2018, but I am trying to think ahead so I am ready to book when the awards become available. Looking at awards as far into the future as I can for now, it appears that there are never any awards available for Sun/Mon travel on any dates from May to as far into June as I can see. This goes for J or Y. Can I assume that this will be the case into August? My travel date would be on a Monday, so it looks like I am either going to have to extend my vacation and fly on a Saturday, or cut it short and fly on Tuesday. Is my thinking right on this or am I missing something.

Are there other awards that may only be available by calling AA, or tricky routing that I may not know about?
There are several airlines whose awards won't show on aa.com. I recommend you read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ssistance.html (link), particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page.

Then, ask questions for assistance in that thread.

Good luck.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:01 am

Clearing 500 mile certs at close-in purchase?

Apologies if this is covered, but I'm a UA elite who was gifted temporary AA platinum status by AA and a bunch of these 500 mile thingies as part of a status challenge. Question is this:

As platinum I think I know 500 mile certs can clear within 48 hours of departure.

If I buy a non-refundable ticket less than 48 hours prior to departure, I can't use the 24 hour refund window on the ticket, making it instantly non-refundable.

Is there any way to know at the time of ticket purchase, i.e. before I click "buy," whether there is 500 mile upgrade inventory open and whether I'd clear by virtue of making the request and being within my upgrade window?

On UA you can check upgrade inventory for instruments / miles, and if it's there when you buy have an agent process you into it. No idea if AA has any equivalent?

Thanks for humoring the noob.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Thanks, I have looked through the wiki and will post in the appropriate thread.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold
If I book into a J Saaver award ticket, and a F Saaver award opens up later on, will I be able to change to that without any fees (aside for the 21 day /$75 fee and paying the mileage difference)?

This is for AA193, LAX->HKG
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, EY Guest Gold
Hi everyone,

I've never flown with American Airlines before. My uncle booked a flight for me to visit DC from Sydney. Seems like I got stuck in the middle seat at the back of the plane. Could someone please run me over the seat change (seems like I have to pay for any seat change) online? What's the Main Cabin Extra and it looks like the flight is full. I would appreciate your help, thank you so much!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Newb status question.

I am a regular BA flyer but someone told me recently (purely anecdotally although they sounded credible) that achieving top tier status (I guess that's Exec Platinum) is easier than the equivalent on BA.

Is this true?

I wasn't entirely sure from the website whether you need the qualifying target in dollars, miles AND segments. And what that in reality equates to. if I fly a couple of long haul J class trips would that do it? if so I am tempted to start allocating to AAdvantage rather than BA Exec club going forward. But I am halfway through a tier points year with BA so want to be sure first.

All help for an AA newb appreciated.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by shadowhyde
Hi everyone,

I've never flown with American Airlines before. My uncle booked a flight for me to visit DC from Sydney. Seems like I got stuck in the middle seat at the back of the plane. Could someone please run me over the seat change (seems like I have to pay for any seat change) online? What's the Main Cabin Extra and it looks like the flight is full. I would appreciate your help, thank you so much!
Main Cabin Extra (MCE) is up to 4" of extra legroom. And on the 777-300ER, which your flight to SYD will be on from LAX, there are only 9 seats in the MCE cabin vs. 10 seats in the main economy cabin. So thus... more seat width.

If you do not have Elite status with AA or Oneworld, you will have to pay for the MCE seat.

Otherwise, retrieve your record locator (6 digits) from your uncle and you can go to AA.com with that and your name to pull up the flight and change seats. ^
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Newb status question.

I am a regular BA flyer but someone told me recently (purely anecdotally although they sounded credible) that achieving top tier status (I guess that's Exec Platinum) is easier than the equivalent on BA.

Is this true?

I wasn't entirely sure from the website whether you need the qualifying target in dollars, miles AND segments. And what that in reality equates to. if I fly a couple of long haul J class trips would that do it? if so I am tempted to start allocating to AAdvantage rather than BA Exec club going forward. But I am halfway through a tier points year with BA so want to be sure first.

Lots of opinions on this one. But if you're based in Europe and flying long-haul J, it's usually easier to hit BAEC Gold quicker than AA Executive Platinum (EXP).

To reach EXP, you are required $12,000 in spend (Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)) (with AA or on Oneworld partners) and one of the following:

100,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM)
120 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

You do not need *both* EQM and EQS to qualify... just one or the other - in addition to EQD.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by econometrics
Lots of opinions on this one. But if you're based in Europe and flying long-haul J, it's usually easier to hit BAEC Gold quicker than AA Executive Platinum (EXP).

To reach EXP, you are required $12,000 in spend (Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)) (with AA or on Oneworld partners) and one of the following:

100,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM)
120 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

You do not need *both* EQM and EQS to qualify... just one or the other - in addition to EQD.

Hmmm - ok. If an EQS is like a leg of a journey then that sounds like a lot. The dollar spend is actually pretty low but the other bits sound as you say more onerous than BA Gold, which is fundamentally a fairly mechanistic thing - two long haul J plus some other bits and pieces will get you silver. Four long haul J plus a decent amount of short haul or 5 long haul plus not much else will get you gold.

I am therefore probably better off sticking with BA

Greatly appreciate the clarification. Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:51 am

Hmmm - ok. If an EQS is like a leg of a journey then that sounds like a lot. The dollar spend is actually pretty low but the other bits sound as you say more onerous than BA Gold, which is fundamentally a fairly mechanistic thing - two long haul J plus some other bits and pieces will get you silver. Four long haul J plus a decent amount of short haul or 5 long haul plus not much else will get you gold.

I am therefore probably better off sticking with BA

Greatly appreciate the clarification. Thanks.
Yes, a segment could be as short as a 120 mile flight, or as long as an 8,100 mile flight to HKG. Most people only qualify on segments when they are flying a lot of domestic legs with connections through major hubs. (e.g. SAT-DFW-DEN or something)

I passed 100K with AA in May this year. I looked at my flying and did the math on what I would have had with BAEC at the same point, and it was around 2000 Tier points. That's just for me... and most of my flying was a mix of Y/J long-haul on AA/BA.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Newb status question.

Is this true?

Which is easier depends in part on what cabin you fly in unless you qualify on segments. The BA TP calculation is different from the AA EQM calculation and the AA EQD requirement complicates things. You should calculate both using your historic or prospective flight data. Note that AA qualification runs on the calendar year so you will have a harder time starting now than on January 1. AA do offer a status challenge which allows you to qualify more quickly if you have enough flying in a three month period. There is a thread about it with a Wiki explaining the requirements.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Newb status question.

Is this true?

If you're all premium-cabin, all the time, it's probably about a push or advantage BAEC. If you mix and match with discount economy fares, AAdvantage is definitely more attainable (elite-qualifying earnings ratios on AA never exceed 6:1 between full-fare premium and bargain-basement "basic economy," while BAEC tier points ratios can be 10:1 or 12:1 between the highest and lowest fares).

Of course, AA enforces a minimum spend requirement (albeit with several workarounds available), but I'd be curious to meet someone who managed to rack up 1500 BAEC tier points without spending at least that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.