Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:17 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by warakorn
I simply cannot find the relevant thread on this:

On the AA site it lists the option to upgrade for 25k AA miles + USD 350 in cash.
Apart from availability and booking class issues -> Does it work also work on AA-operated and BA-marketed flights, where the ticket was plated by BA? Basically, has the train left the station, if an AA flight was bought at ba.com? I have zero Avios - and I booked via ba.com, because the same flights were cheaper (well, here we go).
For future reference, here is the thread that is probably the most relevant: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

As for your current issue, I think you're out of luck, as it's BA-marketed.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp
Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.
(Emphasis mine)
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
So, I just tried this on a flight and didn't have much luck I wonder if it's because aa.com forces me to a UK POS because I'm using a UK credit card?

I would have been charged a £150 change fee on top of the £100 actual difference in fare. I was told to check at the airport, but in an ideal world I'd rather be able to book into F in advance.

Any ideas? If this works on US fares maybe I should get myself a US cash card, or potentially use a website where I can use the US POS with a UK credit card?
I'm not sure about the U.K. Credit card, but I do know upfaring should not incur a fee. I'm hoping someone knowledgeable about this issue can respond.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 3, 2017 at 9:37 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by knit-in

But before that a "newbie" question... as a Plat, do I earn a 60% elite bonus on these MH flights?
Yes

According to this page - https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Thanks! Got it in a written message from AA twitter as well
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD
I have an upcoming flight the next few days and I have a few newbie questions (provided my last trip was a good 3 years ago and policies and laws seem to change on a bi-weekly basis now):

1. I got an upgrade award from coach to business on my international flight (I'll fly to MIA in coach, then business to CNF), do I fall under coach baggage limits, or business baggage limits as the international flight has a higher service class?

1.1 If business class limits apply, does that mean 3 checked bags included, or just 2, the 3rd for an additional $85? (I'm looking forward to take 3 checked bags so I need to know lol)

2. Am I allowed to bring 2 laptops on my carry-on backpack or either American or TSA won't allow me to? (after I had an episode with brazilian customs/airport workers when one of my checked bags was sent to GRU for customs as it didn't fit on the plane I flew from MIA to CNF, all the expensive stuff goes with me wherever I go...)

Thanks for your time and answers!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by zennacko
1. I got an upgrade award from coach to business on my international flight (I'll fly to MIA in coach, then business to CNF), do I fall under coach baggage limits, or business baggage limits as the international flight has a higher service class?
You get the business class limits.

1.1 If business class limits apply, does that mean 3 checked bags included, or just 2, the 3rd for an additional $85? (I'm looking forward to take 3 checked bags so I need to know lol)
Business class gets 2 free checked bags at 70lbs each. The cost for a 3rd checked bag to Brazil is $85.00.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Acronyms. I have picked up on many of the acronyms used on these boards, but has anyone actually put together a comprehensive list of them? Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:37 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Acronyms. I have picked up on many of the acronyms used on these boards, but has anyone actually put together a comprehensive list of them? Thanks
Many acronyms are included within the FlyerTalk Glossary: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

(Top menu -> Help -> Glossary)
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA G, UA, HH G
Soon hoping to book award flights NYC-TYO-SEL (JL J). I've been watching the availability on BA and I assume I should snag NYC-TYO when they're released at the 330d mark as they seem to get snapped up pretty quickly. However the SEL flights (which usually have plenty of availability) won't be released until the following day. Since both TYO and SEL are Asia 1, can I just call the following day when they post and add that leg on to my existing award? Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by isabeloh
Soon hoping to book award flights NYC-TYO-SEL (JL J). I've been watching the availability on BA and I assume I should snag NYC-TYO when they're released at the 330d mark as they seem to get snapped up pretty quickly. However the SEL flights (which usually have plenty of availability) won't be released until the following day. Since both TYO and SEL are Asia 1, can I just call the following day when they post and add that leg on to my existing award? Thanks.
Only if you have placed the NYC-TYO award flight on a complimentary hold -- assuming that AA will still be offering complimentary holds on award reservations by the time you are ready to book. If you go ahead and ticket the NYC-TYO award, you would be subject to a $150 fee to change the award's destination from TYO to SEL.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by zennacko

2. Am I allowed to bring 2 laptops on my carry-on backpack or either American or TSA won't allow me to? (after I had an episode with brazilian customs/airport workers when one of my checked bags was sent to GRU for customs as it didn't fit on the plane I flew from MIA to CNF, all the expensive stuff goes with me wherever I go...)

Thanks for your time and answers!
I've traveled with 2 laptops many times. As long as they both fit in the bag within the dimensions allowed, the laptops are allowed.

If you have Pre-check, some TSA agents will want you to take one of the laptops out before the xray. Others don't seem to care, and I haven't found consistency by airport or checkpoint. Best bet is to let the xray operator know and ask them, right before you send the bags down the belt. (If you don't have pre-check, they both come out, so this is moot).
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AA G, UA, HH G
Originally Posted by guv1976
Only if you have placed the NYC-TYO award flight on a complimentary hold -- assuming that AA will still be offering complimentary holds on award reservations by the time you are ready to book. If you go ahead and ticket the NYC-TYO award, you would be subject to a $150 fee to change the award's destination from TYO to SEL.
So just to confirm, AA will permit a 24hr hold for AA award tickets on JAL? I'd thought I'd read here that was only for awards on AA metal. If I'm missing a thread that confirms this, I apologize.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by isabeloh
So just to confirm, AA will permit a 24hr hold for AA award tickets on JAL? I'd thought I'd read here that was only for awards on AA metal. If I'm missing a thread that confirms this, I apologize.
Traditionally, AA has allowed a complimentary, five-day hold on award tickets on most AA partners.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm not sure about the U.K. creasing card, but I do know upfaring should not incur a fee. I'm hoping someone knowledgeable about this issue can respond.
I used a trusted BA technique of just calling in again. Different person on the phone today and different rules. I was able to upgrade to F with just the fare difference this time, but I couldn't pay over the phone unless I had a US credit card. So apparently it's noted on my reservation and I have to go process in person at the airport.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:57 pm

new

Super, super new to all this.

Basically, I'm about halfway to platinum for next year in all 3 qualification sections.

Would it be better for me to do mileage runs, or segment runs? Is there a general consensus which is more efficient?

Basically trying to find a way to search for just AA flights that will give me the most cost effective way to ensure I get Platinum for next year. I know all the standard sites for cheap flights and what not, but I didn't know if you happened to have any more advice? Am I just going to have to search for random trips on AA.com and try to find something crazy myself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.