Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by buckybadger
Have two trips booked via aavacations and wanted to ask two questions:

1) Both trips have dummy hotel reservations. One trip we're on a tour with hotel included and one trip I'm staying with friends. What's the current consensus on not using the hotel part? Do I need to call and cancel or just is it okay to just not show up?

2) I've never had status on any airline before, but will going on two business class flights in 2018 get me anything? Miles I can use to upgrade something later? I know the fare is a cheaper business fare so I wasn't sure. One flight is direct RDU-LHR and one is RDU-DFW-PEK.

Thanks!!
1. No one's reported any problems with skipping. I wouldn't try to cancel lest they screw up your airline credit.
2. You should get a substantial number of miles from the flights since they'll be distance based with Class-based multiplier, I guess 2x miles flown assuming I class, unless they weren't * fares. Even if they aren't, a fair number of miles should be gained just based on the fare.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by fedechat
I noticed I got the upgrade while I was checking my reservation, but I didn't get email (re-ticketed) until a couple of days later. I was able to resolve my issue trough AA.com, using the contact form and I explain that my AAV was special fare marked with an (*) and I added the link to AA website, I got a response in less than 24hs saying they were able to confirm your ticket was booked as a Special Fare and they reposted as Special Fare.
Originally Posted by fanger
I also experienced this very long (20-40 min) "reconstructing the fare" hold twice recently, both on the same trip, day of departure. The first was when I called in to change flights due to IRROPS and C1 was available. The second was at the airport when they cleared me at checkin. On the same trip, outbound, both of us cleared ahead of time, so I didn't have to be on the phone and didn't notice how long the trip took to be re-issued, but all but one of the segments have fictitious EQD associated with them (I.e. not consistent with 10% EQD/mile and much higher than any reasonable breakdown of the bulk fare could explain).

Based on everyone else's reports you should be able to call in and get it fixed if it's not in your favor.
Good info and hopefully will not have to work too hard to for the EQD's but nice to know it is getting sorted out by some.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:36 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

So my recent trip booked with TYP+cash just posted. I noticed the outbound posted as fare while return posted as method-distance - data unavailable.

Should I call AA to fix the outbound that posted as airfare?

If the outbound changes from fare to distance then I would qualify for Gold (not that it means anything) for 2018.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
So my recent trip booked with TYP+cash just posted. I noticed the outbound posted as fare while return posted as method-distance - data unavailable.

Should I call AA to fix the outbound that posted as airfare?

If the outbound changes from fare to distance then I would qualify for Gold (not that it means anything) for 2018.
Why not try?

Was the outbound affected in any way by an upgrade (SWU or other) or IRROPS?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:47 pm

Why not try?

Was the outbound affected in any way by an upgrade (SWU or other) or IRROPS?
both had SWUs and all flights cleared well in advance at random intervals. Outbound was waitlisted while return cleared at booking.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:10 pm

both had SWUs and all flights cleared well in advance at random intervals. Outbound was waitlisted while return cleared at booking.
Many reports of SWU application causing re-classification to fare-based. brp and others report high success in getting it fixed with a call, though others have reported some resistance.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:15 am

Many reports of SWU application causing re-classification to fare-based. brp and others report high success in getting it fixed with a call, though others have reported some resistance.

Called AA and they were happy to correct the outbound to post as distance rather than fare. Those segments disappeared from my account activity and I presume should repost... Anyone have any experience of how long it takes for the system to repost?

I figure probably around 48 hours similar to a regular flight posting... I did receive a confirmation email from AA with the updated award miles, EQMs and EQDs.

ETA: Everything reposted and all is well

Last edited by golfingboy; Dec 28, 2017 at 11:25 am
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: AA & Hyatt
Anyone have any experience booking with an OTA for flights/hotels turning into special fares? Looking into CX with hotels on expedia in economy. CX fares typically don't yield any EQDs when trying to credit with AA but seeing if partnering with a hotel booking makes a difference.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bruce770
Anyone have any experience booking with an OTA for flights/hotels turning into special fares? Looking into CX with hotels on expedia in economy. CX fares typically don't yield any EQDs when trying to credit with AA but seeing if partnering with a hotel booking makes a difference.
CX always credits as per distance , however ( for economy class ) only H class and higher are eligible for mileage accrual; any lower booking class will earn zero
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:51 am

Anyone have any experience booking regular ticket (full cash) through amextravel or a bank travel portal and did the trip post as fare or distance?

Reason I am asking as it appears MR and TYP redemptions consistently (more often than not) posts as special fare, so how would paying full cash be any different since those portals pretty much charge the same rate when booking with points (I.e. .001 per $1).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Reason I am asking as it appears MR and TYP redemptions consistently (more often than not) posts as special fare
I think "consistently" is an overstatement, and I'd caution others who take this on face value. I think I'm about 50-50, and my most recent TYP redemption posted the domestic flight by distance and the TATL and intra-Europe BA segments by fare. I ended up with slightly more EQD than if the entire thing had posted by fare, but not by much. I'd recommend always expecting everything to post by fare, and take it as a gift whenever it doesn't.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Antipode
I think "consistently" is an overstatement, and I'd caution others who take this on face value. I think I'm about 50-50, and my most recent TYP redemption posted the domestic flight by distance and the TATL and intra-Europe BA segments by fare. I ended up with slightly more EQD than if the entire thing had posted by fare, but not by much. I'd recommend always expecting everything to post by fare, and take it as a gift whenever it doesn't.
My domestic TYP-paid trips also all posted as distance, but in my case that cost me EQD; so, no, it's not always "a gift".

My read of the DPs reported here is that distance is indeed more likely on domestic, possibly because those are bulk tickets more often?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I've had success with "wholesale" fares posting as special fares when booking through the TYP. I am about to make another booking, and the fare rules do not list "wholesale", but instead list "contract bulk fares". I'm assuming that this should also post as special fare. Anyone have data points on "contract bulk fare"?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
But remember if you reticket later (like SWU clears) then it reverts back to a normal ticket. And good luck arguing with AAdvantage that it's a special fare (unlike AA Vacations which AA specifically calls out as qualifying).
So...is this a 100% of the time thing or hit/miss?
I just flew the first segments of my first AAV trip and used 2 SWUs (one for me, one for wife). And was very disappointed to see that they credited as fare-based. My SWU has not cleared for the return trip. If it doesn't, will that have also already been reissued as a "normal" ticket? I purchased as an O* so am definitely in the disappointed camp not having seen this before.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Whodunit68
So...is this a 100% of the time thing or hit/miss?
I just flew the first segments of my first AAV trip and used 2 SWUs (one for me, one for wife). And was very disappointed to see that they credited as fare-based. My SWU has not cleared for the return trip. If it doesn't, will that have also already been reissued as a "normal" ticket? I purchased as an O* so am definitely in the disappointed camp not having seen this before.
Just give AA a call at the end of the trip and ask them to recalculate the earnings using the special fare chart as opposed to revenue chart. Just explain that the tickets were booked through AA vacations, but got re-ticketed when the SWU cleared.

If your SWU doesn't clear on the return, in my experience, the return probably will post as special fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.