Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by SamOF
It’s not determined by portal, it’s determined by fare. Did you actually book a wholesale fare per the UR site fare rules?
It didn't show a fare code that I could find, so I took my chances. I didn't need it either way as I took the buy-up offer from AA so the "risk" was minimal if it went against my favor. The fare was cheap enough that it was worth it.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fanger
Thanks for posting this. Did you actually spend any points on the booking? Or just use the portal?

I guess you're thinking about using the Portal for all your booking going forward?

It would be great to hear from others using Amex Travel portal and Chase Ultimate Rewards... especially with respect to the consistency of "Special Fare"
I used all TYPs. I find intl air-hotel packages booked with AA Vacations a good deal. At one time I could get air + hotel cheaper than air only, the offers now save me $100-$200 per itn and I get EQD based on miles.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
FWIW, I had 3 LAX-LHR legs this year, all on AAV tickets in business on an I* fares. Here is my EQM/EQD/AW for the different legs;

Leg #1 4/17 LAX-LHR I* EQM: 10,912 EQD: 1,910 AM: 16,096 EQD % of Miles Flown: 35.0%
Leg #2 10/17 LAX-LHR I* EQM: 10,912 EQD: 1,712 AM: 18,832 EQD % of Miles Flown: 31.4%
Leg #3 11/17 LAX-LHR I* EQM: 10,912 EQD: 1,637 AM: 14,732 EQD % of Miles Flown: 30.0%

Actual mileage on this leg is 5,456 and special fare chart says I was supposed to only get 20% or $1,091 EQD per leg. Go figure. I have no idea what is going on with AW. I guess in addition to YMMV it should also be said that YEQDMV as well.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by BillBurn
FWIW, I had 3 LAX-LHR legs this year, all on AAV tickets in business on an I* fares. Here is my EQM/EQD/AW for the different legs;

Leg #1 4/17 LAX-LHR I* EQM: 10,912 EQD: 1,910 AM: 16,096 EQD % of Miles Flown: 35.0%
Leg #2 10/17 LAX-LHR I* EQM: 10,912 EQD: 1,712 AM: 18,832 EQD % of Miles Flown: 31.4%
Leg #3 11/17 LAX-LHR I* EQM: 10,912 EQD: 1,637 AM: 14,732 EQD % of Miles Flown: 30.0%

Actual mileage on this leg is 5,456 and special fare chart says I was supposed to only get 20% or $1,091 EQD per leg. Go figure. I have no idea what is going on with AW. I guess in addition to YMMV it should also be said that YEQDMV as well.
If you look in the activity breakdown on AA.com, does the EQD have a ratio of 1:5 with the base award miles? This would be an indication that they are awarding based on a "fictitious" fare that is associated with the booking. I had this experience on a couple of legs on AAVacations trips, although mainly on segments that had been modified by SWU application or IRROPS rebooking.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by fanger
If you look in the activity breakdown on AA.com, does the EQD have a ratio of 1:5 with the base award miles? This would be an indication that they are awarding based on a "fictitious" fare that is associated with the booking. I had this experience on a couple of legs on AAVacations trips, although mainly on segments that had been modified by SWU application or IRROPS rebooking.
The base award miles to EQD were:
Leg #1 4/17 LAX-LHR I* EQD: 1,910 AM: 16,096 BAM: 5,456 BAM/EQD: 2.85
Leg #2 10/17 LAX-LHR I* EQD: 1,712 AM: 18,832 BAM: 8,560 BAM/EQD: 5.00
Leg #3 11/17 LAX-LHR I* EQD: 1,637 AM: 14,732 BAM 5,456 BAM/EQD: 3.33

So look like I hit 5:1 on leg #2 , but not on the others. I believe I used SWUs to upgrade into 1st on all three legs.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by BillBurn
The base award miles to EQD were:
Leg #1 4/17 LAX-LHR I* EQD: 1,910 AM: 16,096 BAM: 5,456 BAM/EQD: 2.85
Leg #2 10/17 LAX-LHR I* EQD: 1,712 AM: 18,832 BAM: 8,560 BAM/EQD: 5.00
Leg #3 11/17 LAX-LHR I* EQD: 1,637 AM: 14,732 BAM 5,456 BAM/EQD: 3.33

So look like I hit 5:1 on leg #2 , but not on the others. I believe I used SWUs to upgrade into 1st on all three legs.
So, it looks like you got 35% EQD/mileage on Leg #1 and 30% on Leg #3 (as you noted initially). 5456 is the correct mileage. I know there are some partner classes that get 35% for first, and special fares is normally 30% for first, so perhaps these are all the result of erroneous (possibly manual) classifications triggered by the SWU, as you should have gotten 20% on all three I guess.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:05 am

I booked a flight with points + cash through Citi and the fare info didn't show up on AA. I got credit based on special fares.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I booked a flight+hotel trough AAV as special fares (*), fare info didn't shop up but I decided to use a SWU on the long segment, it ended up posting as fare.
I called a couple of times and most of the agents were clueless, saying that it always post as fare and one of them went to ask his supervisor and came back saying in order to get distance-based it must be a package with Flight+Hotel+Car, but he was unable to explain why my AAV SFO trip with flight+car ended up posting as fare, then he sent (or open) an investigation and it could take 7-10 business days.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:31 pm

How refundable are AA I fares from Chase's travel portal? Chase claims refundable but I was under the impression I fares were not from AA.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:23 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've booked many AA Vacation packages to ZURICH, the big plus was (1)mileage based, (2)hotel selection was "nice" (=near airport with free shuttle). I was trying to book a package for June, the nice hotels like: NH, Hilton, Hilton Apart, Holiday Inn, Mowenpick are no longer an option; the current choices require a 30 minute ride vs < 10 minutes. Have they done this on other packages.
[For Zurich the hotel portion was via EXPEDIA.]
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by caburrito
How refundable are AA I fares from Chase's travel portal? Chase claims refundable but I was under the impression I fares were not from AA.
It would depend on the fare rules. Also, a fare can be refundable and not fully refundable due to some refund penalty/fee. Chase would be the group that would determine that and issue the refund though so they 'should' know best.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by fedechat
I booked a flight+hotel trough AAV as special fares (*), fare info didn't shop up but I decided to use a SWU on the long segment, it ended up posting as fare.
I called a couple of times and most of the agents were clueless, saying that it always post as fare and one of them went to ask his supervisor and came back saying in order to get distance-based it must be a package with Flight+Hotel+Car, but he was unable to explain why my AAV SFO trip with flight+car ended up posting as fare, then he sent (or open) an investigation and it could take 7-10 business days.
I havent had the issues others have reported on AA Vacation bookings showing as fare instead of distance but had an interesting experience on my last upgrade request that makes me think I will on this trip. It took an exceptionally long time for the EXP desk to get back to me to confirm the upgrade request was put in. Once when they came back to give me an update while I was on hold it was because they were "trying to reconstruct the fare", maybe this is normal but also makes me wonder if they have changed something in how they handle the upgrades. For me on this trip, it will not matter as the distance and fare calculate about the same (or should) but will be an interesting test. We may be out of luck if SWU is involved in the future on these bookings.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:59 am

Have two trips booked via aavacations and wanted to ask two questions:

1) Both trips have dummy hotel reservations. One trip we're on a tour with hotel included and one trip I'm staying with friends. What's the current consensus on not using the hotel part? Do I need to call and cancel or just is it okay to just not show up?

2) I've never had status on any airline before, but will going on two business class flights in 2018 get me anything? Miles I can use to upgrade something later? I know the fare is a cheaper business fare so I wasn't sure. One flight is direct RDU-LHR and one is RDU-DFW-PEK.

Thanks!!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I havent had the issues others have reported on AA Vacation bookings showing as fare instead of distance but had an interesting experience on my last upgrade request that makes me think I will on this trip. It took an exceptionally long time for the EXP desk to get back to me to confirm the upgrade request was put in. Once when they came back to give me an update while I was on hold it was because they were "trying to reconstruct the fare", maybe this is normal but also makes me wonder if they have changed something in how they handle the upgrades. For me on this trip, it will not matter as the distance and fare calculate about the same (or should) but will be an interesting test. We may be out of luck if SWU is involved in the future on these bookings.
I noticed I got the upgrade while I was checking my reservation, but I didn't get email (re-ticketed) until a couple of days later. I was able to resolve my issue trough AA.com, using the contact form and I explain that my AAV was special fare marked with an (*) and I added the link to AA website, I got a response in less than 24hs saying they were able to confirm your ticket was booked as a Special Fare and they reposted as Special Fare.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I also experienced this very long (20-40 min) "reconstructing the fare" hold twice recently, both on the same trip, day of departure. The first was when I called in to change flights due to IRROPS and C1 was available. The second was at the airport when they cleared me at checkin. On the same trip, outbound, both of us cleared ahead of time, so I didn't have to be on the phone and didn't notice how long the trip took to be re-issued, but all but one of the segments have fictitious EQD associated with them (I.e. not consistent with 10% EQD/mile and much higher than any reasonable breakdown of the bulk fare could explain).

Based on everyone else's reports you should be able to call in and get it fixed if it's not in your favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.