Search

NostalgiAA - What Have we Lost?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:00 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
NostalgiAA - What Have we Lost?

I know this thread will go off track soon, but talking just about customer experience (not cost, not competition) these are things that I miss that used to be part of the AA experience:

1. Seats blocked next to premium members - There was a time when they actually blocked the seat next to you and it was only released if they needed the space (and that rarely happened because loads were lower).

2. Award tickets were all like anytime - They were paper certificates which you ordered in advance. And once you had one, it was as good as a "Full Y" ticket, which meant that you could take any available coach seat on any qualifying flight. You could even walk into the airport and say "I want to take the transcon in an hour," hand them the award certificate and get your ticket.

3. Award tickets could be upgraded by "paying the difference" - And this was really valuable. Because award tickets were valued as "Y" and the redeyes (there were lots of them) had "Fn" (First night) fares. So, for our honeymoon, we were booked on the 747 from LAX-JFK on award ticket in coach. Day of flight I changed it to paid Fn. Cost $25 a person.

4. Real food, in all classes, on most flights. (You can debate quality all you want - I flew more than any of you (500,000 BIS/yr without leaving the US) and I cared about getting a meal.

5. Napkins with a button-hole.

6. All glass service items (plates, glasses) in F.

7. A feeling that AA cared about its best fliers. (Admittedly, I still fly, but I don't fall into that category any more - but I was invited to spend the weekend, with my wife, all expenses paid to fly F to Dallas for the weekend, stay in a hotel, enjoy meals and golf with other AA customers and executives).

8. Stopovers were free on awards.

9. When Mike Gunn sent me a letter, and said my legacy miles would never expire and could always be used on the old award chart, I believed him. (Of course, 14(?) years later AA told me "never mind, we changed our mind").

10. When I showed up at LAX, even before I was Platinum, a red coat (Anna) would personally walk me onto the DC-10 transcon and give me a first class seat.

11. The old upgrade system where, even as a Platinum, I was almost 100% for upgrades because I knew ALL the tricks and I was willing to be persistent. (I realize this one is a little controversial, but this is my thread.)

I am sure I am leaving out a bunch of others. Contributions welcome.

Last edited by sbrower; Sep 2, 2016 at 3:13 pm
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:27 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by sbrower
8. Connections were free on awards.
Is this referring to the loss of stopovers on award tickets?

If so, you're using the wrong terminology. If not, I have no clue of what you are referring to.

Greg
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The OP speaks of a time gone by for the entire airline industry. Today its all about putting a butt in every seat for whatever price the airline can get. First class cabins are being more monetized. Despite what many FTers want its never going back to what it was either from a service standard (like in the 60s and 70s) or an elite standard (like it was in the previous decade).

The new reality is that for high dollar spenders not much will change. For everyone else it will feel more and more like a NYC subway ride.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GregL
Is this referring to the loss of stopovers on award tickets?

If so, you're using the wrong terminology. If not, I have no clue of what you are referring to.

Greg
Edited the OP. You are correct. Probably the first of many errors.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The OP speaks of a time gone by for the entire airline industry. Today its all about putting a butt in every seat for whatever price the airline can get. First class cabins are being more monetized. Despite what many FTers want its never going back to what it was either from a service standard (like in the 60s and 70s) or an elite standard (like it was in the previous decade).

The new reality is that for high dollar spenders not much will change. For everyone else it will feel more and more like a NYC subway ride.
Yes, reading the "2 years ago food" thread made me think about the bigger picture. I don't mean to imply that any of it is coming back - this is just a chance for a nostalgic glance back. Heck, even my 500k BIS is nostalgic - that was before stupid security, when it was possible to do 2 transcons a week, every week, and have it make sense. Today you would lose about 10 hours a week on extra airport time which means that travel like that won't return.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Short version (Have to go to meeting)

8/66 Family moving, Corporate paying. 1966. Males in coats, white shirts and ties. Ladies, including the 4 year old in dresses and hosiery. SYR-DTW. Change planes. DTW-SFO.

LOBSTER (and 2nds). 1st taste of Filet Mignon. At 16,1st taste of wine in
public. FA's loved thier job, and more importantly, loved US! (And we loved them in return).

8/16 Bi-monthly return to USA from CDG (in J). Inattentive service, inedible food, and less.

1966-FA's were wonderful. 2016-Union seniority system gives high$ PAX "Grumpy Granny Roulette". YMMV

NET RESULT: As EXPs and we commute DFW-CDG 1-3 times a month, BUT all post 1/10/17 travel in $J, out of DFW is on ....

NOT AA.

Go figure. Once again, YMMV.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Sep 2, 2016 at 3:58 pm
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge

Exactly. The old days are gone, and even when I say "old" I'm referring to even 5 years ago. The airlines are flush with cash, so loyalty means nothing. There are only three major US airlines so competition is minimal, seats are full and more people are flying more than ever.

What the OP discusses will never come back. The new reality is here and here to stay unfortunately. Loyalty today means boarding into coach before others, getting a "coach plus" or whatever each airline calls it (exit or bulk head row for free). Yes you still earn miles but redeeming them like you could in the past is long gone.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Cheaper (in today's dollars) service allowing the economy to grow at a faster pace today than it did back in the days when you think it was better but it wasn't.

If there really is a market for a carrier with a dress code which serves lobster, why isn't there somebody offering it?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:30 pm

o All flight awards came with included car rental and hotel awards

o I was Gold and remember getting special treatment; I'd say "I don't want to use stickers" and I'd get upgraded anyway. Now I'm Platinum and rarely get upgraded using "stickers".

o MRTC

o No security theater (questioning) when boarding outside the US

What I don't miss: No personal IFE on any plane, no OLCI, no electronic bp, and (not AA-specific) no GE; Customs would make everyone open their suitcases (seventies); no Tortas Frontera at O'Hare.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Sep 2, 2016 at 4:33 pm
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:35 pm

Fly 100K as cheap as you could = 8 SWU's.

And the agent at the gate at NRT who never seemed to insist on removing the paper SWU's from your BP....

Last edited by idainc; Sep 2, 2016 at 4:42 pm
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Not to nitpick too much, but the napkins still have button holes, used it on Monday and the guy next to me said "I never knew what that was for."
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Maybe I'm getting too damn old but yes mentally I long for days when traveling was more formalized. Today you see men dressed in tank tops (and I mean severe overweight older men) in the ACs, children running wild in F and J cabins, airline employees treated like personal servants and on and on. However, those days are not coming back at least not in probably my lifetime.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
o

What I don't miss: No personal IFE on any plane, no OLCI, no electronic bp, and (not AA-specific) no GE or PreCheck, no Tortas Frontera at O'Hare.
How about just the days when you didn't need preCheck? I used to love as a kid going to the airport and meeting my dad at the gate when he came home from a business trip. Now my family doesn't even both coming to the airport!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I miss the made-to-order sundae service in F even on domestic mid-cons.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
How about just the days when you didn't need preCheck? I used to love as a kid going to the airport and meeting my dad at the gate when he came home from a business trip. Now my family doesn't even both coming to the airport!
Don't know what I was thinking. Deleted "PreCheck".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.