Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NostalgiAA - What Have we Lost?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
regarding city ticket office.
for many years i lived in Carmel, Ca. there was a "city ticket office" in the Carmel Rancho shopping center. it was a two person office usually staffed by Pam who was the absolute best in "making it work". she and the office were sorely missed when it closed.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
I miss flying after 9AM to get where I'm going before nightfall.

I miss when Platinum meant something. I still remember the STL-SEA trip that became a STL-MSY-SEA at the last minute. AA rebooked me MSY-DFW-SEA (TrAAin, anyone?) in a middle seat in the next-to-last row of a full 767. I called and asked if there was any way to get to SEA up front. They routed me MSY-STL-SEA in less than 2 minutes.

I miss "catching the next one" when misconnecting or having a cancellation, even when a kettle.

I miss the airline taking care to get you where you had to go ASAP, even if it meant putting you on somebody else's metal.

Is it just me, or are there more MX these days?

I don't miss domestic F being so expensive I could only hope to win a lottery, although
I miss seat pitches that made Y a perfectly good option, even for TATL travel.

I don't miss smoky planes.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Wow, when did AA do away with the midcon MTO sundaes? And which midcons received this service? I'd guess longer ones like ORD-LAX, but I'd be very surprised if shorter ones like DFW-PHX received them. I don't remember any midcons getting MTO sundaes since at least 2001, so I'm very curious!
I think the midcon "Deluxe Dinner" (salad course served prior to main, three mains, MTO sundae) service lasted into the 2004-2006 timeframe, give or take.

I believe that the "Deluxe Dinner" was downgraded to two main course choices and no MTO sundae as a concession to AA's poor overworked flight attendants. I'm serious. The change was sold internally NOT primarily as a cost-cutting move but rather one that would reduce flight attendant workload and make the service less complex.

This might have coincided with a change to FA staffing. I believe that there was a time when Deluxe Dinner S80/738 midcons or flights expected to be above a certain load factor were staffed with 4 FAs instead of the required minimum of 3 (FAA regs for aircraft with 101-150 seats).

Deluxe Dinner was on DFW - BOS/NYC/PHL/SFO/SJC length routes and greater. I can't remember if the SoCal routes from DFW were long enough to get the enhanced service.

But, yes, ultimately it was lazy FAs that killed made to order sundaes. Think about that the next time you are denied a PDB.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Herb687
I think the midcon "Deluxe Dinner" (salad course served prior to main, three mains, MTO sundae) service lasted into the 2004-2006 timeframe, give or take.

I believe that the "Deluxe Dinner" was downgraded to two main course choices and no MTO sundae as a concession to AA's poor overworked flight attendants. I'm serious. The change was sold internally NOT primarily as a cost-cutting move but rather one that would reduce flight attendant workload and make the service less complex.

This might have coincided with a change to FA staffing. I believe that there was a time when Deluxe Dinner S80/738 midcons or flights expected to be above a certain load factor were staffed with 4 FAs instead of the required minimum of 3 (FAA regs for aircraft with 101-150 seats).

Deluxe Dinner was on DFW - BOS/NYC/PHL/SFO/SJC length routes and greater. I can't remember if the SoCal routes from DFW were long enough to get the enhanced service.

But, yes, ultimately it was lazy FAs that killed made to order sundaes. Think about that the next time you are denied a PDB.
Did those deluxe dinner flights have printed menus, as well? How about lunch; did lunches get a deluxe version, as well?

I wonder why transcons didn't lose MTO sundaes, especially non-premium (JFK-LAX/SFO) transcons? I could imagine FAs complaining about those flights, too.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Did those deluxe dinner flights have printed menus, as well?
Yes, at least in the 1999-2000 timeframe when I started flying AA frequently. The printed menus disappeared from midcon deluxe dinner flights long before the MTO sundaes and third main course choice disappeared, however.

How about lunch; did lunches get a deluxe version, as well?
I don't remember any big differences between long and short midcon lunches. There were likely subtle differences but I don't recall what they were.

I wonder why transcons didn't lose MTO sundaes, especially non-premium (JFK-LAX/SFO) transcons? I could imagine FAs complaining about those flights, too.
No idea. Unless AA felt that it was just a bridge too far on flights that long or in markets that competitive?

Remember that there was a time when premium transcon (AFS) existed out of BOS too.

Or that FAs having 4-5 hours to complete such a complicated, stressful, dangerous service was acceptable!

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 8, 2016 at 6:20 pm Reason: AFS branding
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I miss ticket folders. I still carry one on all my AA trips, it holds my AAplause Certs and then I keep my BPs in them. I have a collection at home if anyone wants one.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by rowingman
Woolly mammoth J seats. 767 transcons. (true)

Plastic coffee "mugs" and Pizza Uno in J and F. The "coffin" international F seat. (not)
I kind of miss the 762s, but that's because I can only remember riding in the back about 3 times in all the trips I made. The 321T is nicer when you can get in the premium cabin, but I have missed way more than 3 upgrades already.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
The warm cookie in F. It was on almost every single flight I had into and out of LGA in the 07-09 time frame.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Although I like the new branding, I wish they still incorporated the AA into their branding, as the only thing that does anymore is AAdvantage.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I miss flying transcons when there was a full hot mean and then a snack before landing even in Y. Of course, the IFE sucked. I was also a lot younger and the FAs would dote on me often bringing free drinks and other goodies from F/J back to me. One time a FA filled my carry on with miniatures.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:13 pm

i miss the special meals you could order in coach on meal flights. Remember many times seatmates looking over at amazement as the FA reached over them with my double hamburger with all the fixings, and the person next to me was "How did you get one of THOSE"? I was lowly gold or even aspiring to get to gold, so I rode in back most of my first 10 years of business travel. Some airports' catering kitchens did a PHENOMENAL job on the special meals in coach that you had to call in and special request in advance
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I miss the lobster tail starter in transcon F and IFS F that lasted until around 2005, IIRC. Interestingly, I believe the lobster was originally implemented to replace the caviar service (which, unfortunately, was slightly before my time flying AA).

Also miss the excellent wine selections in international F and J that frequently rivaled and exceeded international carriers' wine lists. Selections such as vintage Pommery Cuve Louise and Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque Champagne, some very decent Second Growth Bordeaux, and that wonderful Tokaji dessert wine. Surprisingly, this also lasted well into the 2000s.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:35 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I miss the lobster tail starter in transcon F and IFS F that lasted until around 2005, IIRC. Interestingly, I believe the lobster was originally implemented to replace the caviar service (which, unfortunately, was slightly before my time flying AA).

Also miss the excellent wine selections in international F and J that frequently rivaled and exceeded international carriers' wine lists. Selections such as vintage Pommery Cuve Louise and Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque Champagne, some very decent Second Growth Bordeaux, and that wonderful Tokaji dessert wine. Surprisingly, this also lasted well into the 2000s.

-FlyerBeek
Round the world, first class in 1990. AA from LAX-London. Singapore the rest of the way. The food on AA was just as good as the food on SQ. Choice of 3 appetizers, including the caviar (chose all 3, no problem). Dom Perignon as the Champagne. I think I drank about 6 bottles on the trip.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I've always had a practical attitude about flying and don't really "miss" much from bygone days to the extent that I give it much thought. The only thing I am really unhappy about is that the quality of the EXP Desk has gone down dramatically. And this started happening well before the Parker era.

Pre- the closing of the TUS call center, when you called in, you had a 75% chance of getting a knowledgeable, helpful and friendly agent who stayed with you and made things happen to get you what you wanted. Now, it's more like 25%.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Really miss the city ticket offices. There was one in the Hyatt in suburban Chicago and the staff provided exceptional service especially for the regulars, and had flexibility and latitude that does not exist today. We were there every week for years and I still miss them. The staff transferred to ORD and the ADMIRALS club and tried to work their magic with their customers but it was a different atmosphere.
I remember that office well too. They were especially nice to me a couple of times as they let me used expired vouchers. I didn't realize the staff was now at the ORD AAdmirals club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.