Search

NostalgiAA - What Have we Lost?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by kmandrew
One of the best perks from the 80's was the fly so many segments get a domestic roundtrip free. AA ran this promotion all the time, if I remember right the r/t's were good for around 3 months. I can't remember exactly how many segments we had to fly to earn one but I'm sure there are members here that recall.
The first FF promotion I remember was Western Airlines, maybe 1982. Fly 2 RT and go to any destination they had for $xxx (maybe it was $200, I forget the number). I did my first (and only?) MR on a RT from LA-SAN. Then went to Alaska for 4th of July weekend on the award ticket.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kmandrew
One of the best perks from the 80's was the fly so many segments get a domestic roundtrip free. AA ran this promotion all the time, if I remember right the r/t's were good for around 3 months. I can't remember exactly how many segments we had to fly to earn one but I'm sure there are members here that recall.
Those came back in the early 2000s. There was Fly Three Fly Free which got you just that in 2004. There was also a promo where if you flew two trips from NY to either FL or CA you got a free ticket worldwide. That was also in 2004.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:09 pm

We've lost the use of the lounge in DEL for flights 292 & 293. A treasure unto itself.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
What I miss:
* No liquid restrictions when going through security
* Keeping shoes on without having to sign up for pre-check
* Wide bodies out of AUS - I remember flying AUS-DFW on a DC10
* MRTC - it kept me and my parents loyal to AA

What I don't miss:
* Smoking sections on airplanes
* Paper tickets
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA PLT, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
I was cleaning out a drawer and found a "Welcome to Silver Preferred" letter from US Airways over 10 years old. It mentioned that the packet included luggage tags and 2 systemwide upgrade coupons. A far cry from what AA Gold or any other airline's lowest tier elites get now!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Wow, when did AA do away with the midcon MTO sundaes? And which midcons received this service? I'd guess longer ones like ORD-LAX, but I'd be very surprised if shorter ones like DFW-PHX received them. I don't remember any midcons getting MTO sundaes since at least 2001, so I'm very curious!
I used to get them on eastbound flights from DFW, like DFW-BOS, DFW-LGA, DFW-YYZ; that last one is only 1200 miles. This was in the 90's, I forget when exactly they stopped...
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Woolly mammoth J seats. 767 transcons. (true)

Plastic coffee "mugs" and Pizza Uno in J and F. The "coffin" international F seat. (not)
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:29 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I just remembered - The lounge upstairs in the 747 transcon.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
What I miss:

No liquid restrictions
Less people on planes, more overhead bin space
More legroom in Y

What I don't miss:

Smoking on planes
High airfares, especially for TATL flights
Late or lost luggage - a lot worse than today
Terrible airport lounges
Bad seats in J and F - although some J seating is still lousy
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:09 pm

747-100 service from JFK - SJU
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:33 pm

Flying on the Concorde for only 150,000 miles for two people. Flew LAX-JFK AA First Class then BA Concorde JFK-LHR and back. That was the best use of miles ever!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Really enjoyed reading this thread as it really shows both sides..some wins and some losses over time

Our first AA award tickets were for a family of four J to Australia in the late 90s. Award included 3 domestic sectors in Australia including a Trans tasman sector. I dont remember the mileage amount which probably seemed high to us then, and really was a bargain. I think it might have been our first business class flight. Earlier TWA awards had included 7 night Marriott stays and a rental car.

Really miss the city ticket offices. There was one in the Hyatt in suburban Chicago and the staff provided exceptional service especially for the regulars, and had flexibility and latitude that does not exist today. We were there every week for years and I still miss them. The staff transferred to ORD and the ADMIRALS club and tried to work their magic with their customers but it was a different atmosphere.

Really miss the ability to get to the airport 20 minutes before a flight and have time to spare.

Don't miss smoking sections on planes or higher prices

Paper tickets.. I have mixed emotions. Used to have special travel envelopes for the stack of paper for the family but still find situations where check in agent wants to see a piece of paper.

Net net times business models change. We've taken AADVANTAGE of our mIles and seen the world..we will adapt again..
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
I believe you are first to mention the city ticket office.

More than anything, I miss AA. Never liked Allegheny Airlines and less so US Air. This routing business of going through their hubs and making it difficult to hit ORD and DFW is just showing 'em who is the boss. Plus their planes interior design is inferior. It gets me looking elsewhere and elsewhere's pricing for F is winning in every market I buy.

For years AA had me totally loyal. Their treatment while EP during the 90's will never be forgotten. On a super cheap coach fare to HKG, missed connection at LAX. They put me into CX F while still in RNO. Arrive at LAX and proceed to CX ticket counter. Twice the the CX agent denied my ticket and accused me of stealing it. On my third trip back to AA counter, station manager accompanies me back to the ..... at CX. "We're paying for this ticket and Mr. A is flying F." End of conversation.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ysolde
Then again, these are probably the same folk who wear a bathrobe and/or a dirty track suit when going to the gas station, to drop off/pick up the kids at school, or grocery shopping.
If that's all you're doing, annoying chores seem like exactly the time when one really shouldn't worry about one's appearance. It's not like you're going to work, or out to a nice dinner, or anywhere else that appearances matter. The cashier can judge away at the store; they're still earning a bit over minimum wage. The machine at the gas station is... machinery. And kids over a certain age are going to be embarrassed by mom or dad no matter how you dress.

Flying these days is increasingly one of those annoying chores.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'll add:
  • smoking on planes
  • fares so high it took me until my 30s to fly on a plane more times than my fingers on one hand. Living at a time where airfare for a weekend in Vegas is sometimes less than $100 (that would be $27.93 in 1979 dollars, pre-devaluation) is pretty awesome.
  • stupid rules like forced Saturday overnights that could make domestic roundtrips that cost less than one-ways

I'm not terribly nostalgic for days when flying was the province of the upper classes.
However, back in the hotpants era (mid-70s), PSA had $13 o/w fares SFO/OAK-LAX on the B727 flights. But only $10 on the midnight flight still operated by turboprop. Naturally the $10 flights were packed with long-haired college students going back and forth from school-home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.