Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One LAX-LHR rotation changing from 77W to 772 – impacts, flight change possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One LAX-LHR rotation changing from 77W to 772 – impacts, flight change possible?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite

Noticed my flight on 11/22 has now been switched to 772 from the usual 77W
Sort of a bummer especially if the 772 gets swapped out with old config
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GO, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Big Bummer. Looks like it happens from Oct 30 onwards. Not a big fan of this plane. Had it from DFW to LHR - nothing compared to the 77W. Seats are very narrow.

Are you in J? Would be worth looking at how much it would cost to change. Are you EXP? I've noticed on the LAX - LHR flights they do offer same day change (even though there's not written material about this on the website). Would be free if you're EXP - 150 USD if not.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CuiDawei
Are you in J? Would be worth looking at how much it would cost to change. Are you EXP? I've noticed on the LAX - LHR flights they do offer same day change (even though there's not written material about this on the website). Would be free if you're EXP - 150 USD if not.
As described here, OP might be able to switch to the 77W flight at no charge.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The LAX-LHR were originally flown with the 777-200, and using a 772 will allow AA to offer horizontally flat seats on this route - keeping the 77W for the flight with greatest demand. I imagine they've selected a more appropriate use for the 77W.

I only hope the ultimate aircraft assignment here will be a 772 (SD) (abbreviation not used by AA) with the B/E Aerospace Super Diamond J seats instead of the 772 (Z) with shaky Zodiac seats and variably locked privacy dividers.

Ugh! Yet another split fleet, 47 772s with about half (Z) and half (SD). And 787-8 (Z) with 787-9 (SD). Etc.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
According to AA.com, when AA136 switches to a 772, it will be in the 2 class configuration with flat beds in J that some argue are superior to the 77W ones. Ironing boards should not be an issue.

My guess is that this somehow corresponds with one of the JFK-LHR flights switching to this configuration and AA's habit of bridging at LHR.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, SWA, Lifemiles, Emirates, Amex Plat.
I hope they do not plan on moving this date up a month, I travel on this flight in the later part of September in first...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by legallyblond
I hope they do not plan on moving this date up a month, I travel on this flight in the later part of September in first...
I doubt they plan on moving the date. This is likely based on changes in the schedule and also retrofits to more 772 aircraft, as this is going to require a flat bed (all LHR flights are required to have flat beds under the JV). Also, if you are in F, you'd have the right to change to AA 106 or one of the BA flights.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by N1120A
According to AA.com, when AA136 switches to a 772, it will be in the 2 class configuration with flat beds in J that some argue are superior to the 77W ones. Ironing boards should not be an issue.
Most of the time, no, though swaps to the old configuration do happen.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:54 am

Aaargh! They switched my preferred flights - 135/136 instead of the earlier flights! Looks like I'll SDFC if it looks like the Zodiac seats will be on the flights I've already booked.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:45 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond

My guess is that this somehow corresponds with one of the JFK-LHR flights switching to this configuration and AA's habit of bridging at LHR.
I'm on this flight in November too (early in the month), and it does appear to be a JFK-LHR-LAX-LHR-JFK rotation for the equipment. That said, on my travel dates it's scheduled as a 772 with Zodiac (alternating forward/backwards), vs. the new version of the Diamond suite. Bummed. Realize I could technically ask to move to the 6pm flight, which is a 77W, but that doesn't work for my schedule. I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't end up an old NGBC 777!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

I can't imagine anyone would argue the 772 CIP Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite is better than the 77W Zodiac "Cirrus" Business Suite seats (similar to those offered by Cathay Pacific and EVA).
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Thanks to those who caught the change. I'm on 136 from LAX to DUB. I used a SWU to upgrade to F and I would not enjoy the change. On the phone with AA right now, trying to change to 108. Flying an hour earlier is no skin off of my back. On terminal hold with agent as he pushes buttons and asks the Great Oz behind the curtain if this is possible.

update: finally got thru and my flight was changed to 106 and I'm in first class on the 77W

Last edited by tomj888; Aug 22, 2016 at 10:56 am Reason: more information to post.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
I can't imagine anyone would argue the 772 CIP Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite is better than the 77W Zodiac "Cirrus" Business Suite seats (similar to those offered by Cathay Pacific and EVA).
Agreed. I've literally never seen someone make that argument. I've only tried the "Concept D" seat once and thought it was fine, but the 77W seat is definitely better.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I had 136/135 in January 2017...
I called AA to change only 136 to 108 not 135
First the agent told me equipment change doesn't wave change fee and he tried to charge change fee but I told him I wanted to asked him to change without fee.
He understood what I was asking for and he did change my flight without fee.
He told me he did that because I'm EXP^
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I had 136/135 in January 2017...
I called AA to change only 136 to 108 not 135
First the agent told me equipment change doesn't wave change fee and he tried to charge change fee but I told him I wanted to asked him to change without fee.
He understood what I was asking for and he did change my flight without fee.
He told me he did that because I'm EXP^
We're on 136 Christmas Day, and got switched to the 772. I just called AA and asked them to switch us to 108 (we originally had only a 70 minute connection to PRG), so that gave us another hour to make the conxn. She switched us with no problem/ no charge and I'm only Gold trash. Although, we are in paid J, so maybe that makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.