Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (LUS) Regional Bombardier DHC-8-300 / Dash 8 (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA (LUS) Regional Bombardier DHC-8-300 / Dash 8 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
To ease the confusion for those who don't remember seeing the rear-facing seats... Piedmont operates 2 different Dash 8 variants. The 37 seat DHC-8-100 never had rear facing seats; row 1 was/is a normal 2x2 forward facing row; the larger DHC-8-300 used to be configured with 50, now 48 seats. The -300 is the only variant that had the rear facing seats at 1DF; the AC side of the cabin started at forward-facing seats 2AC.
the -100 has its own unique feature: the middle seat(9D) has probably the most legroom of any passenger aircraft on the planet... 30+ feet of legroom, from the last row all the way to the cockpit door.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
I haven't flown AA out of CLT in a while. However, I just noticed that a lot of flights that were formerly operated by RJ200 regional jets are now replaced with Dash 8. (which is how I ended up booking this flight)
Why the sad face? I'd fake a Dash-8 any day over a CRJ200. There's a reason it's called the devil's chariot, I don't think I have ever been on a more uncomfortable plane than the 200. The Dash at least has a proper exit row, the rear facing seats (at least on AC) and the seats don't recline which means even if I'm stuck in a normal seat for the 30-45 minute flight it's tolerable.. On the 200 there are only miserable and miserable+ seats.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
First AA flight of the day?

It was definitely a -300.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by IggySD
Why the sad face? I'd fake a Dash-8 any day over a CRJ200. There's a reason it's called the devil's chariot, I don't think I have ever been on a more uncomfortable plane than the 200. The Dash at least has a proper exit row, the rear facing seats (at least on AC) and the seats don't recline which means even if I'm stuck in a normal seat for the 30-45 minute flight it's tolerable.. On the 200 there are only miserable and miserable+ seats.
True.... but not when I’m stuck in a window seat right next to the propellers! (and I keep thinking “will it blend?” like in the Blendtec videos)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat (Former USAir DM Gold) OW Sapphire, HH Diamond
Flew CLT-ROA several times over the years. Picked the rear face seat just for the hell of it. Strange feeling looking at everyone like a FA, it was not comfortable at all.

All the Piedmont Dash's are retiring this year.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cactus1857
Flew CLT-ROA several times over the years. Picked the rear face seat just for the hell of it. Strange feeling looking at everyone like a FA, it was not comfortable at all.

All the Piedmont Dash's are retiring this year.
wait a sec, what are they replacing the Dash 8 with? some AA destinations are only served with Dash 8... does this meant those airports need to upgrade their runways and gates to accommodate the A380s now?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
wait a sec, what are they replacing the Dash 8 with? some AA destinations are only served with Dash 8... does this meant those airports need to upgrade their runways and gates to accommodate the A380s now?
They are mostly being replaced with ERJ 145 and some of the beloved CRJ 200. Both UA and AA are slowly getting rid of all turboprops, joining DL which has already done so. I don't think AA has announced dropping any airports once they are jet only, but there has been speculation about likely candidates for lost service. This is especially true at those few airports (e.g., HHH) that will need to upgrade runways to maintain service. There's more discussion of this topic here: http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...?f=3&t=1363599
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...8-turb-449888/
Looks like tomorrow July 4th is the last day for Dash 8 operations by Piedmont dba American Eagle. The final flight AA4927 is still bookable!

credit: JohnNYC’s Twitter
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:59 am

Last flight

Ill actually be on this flight!
cedric likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I actually enjoyed flying in the Dashes. My last one was AVL-CLT on election day in 2016.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:46 pm

Haven’t flown on a Dash since the 90’s. That will be changing shortly with a couple short hops with BE.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Before the last Dash-8 disappears... does anyone know how the size of the lavatory compares to the new 738 MAX? Always remember it as being very small.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:54 pm

Bathroom

I flew it 2 days ago which is why ill be on the last flight out. At 6'3, could barely fit even with neck craned down. Worse than 737 max
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by Segments
Before the last Dash-8 disappears... does anyone know how the size of the lavatory compares to the new 738 MAX? Always remember it as being very small.
Worse than the small size though, the bathrooms on the Dash-8 do not have running water. Hand sanitizer only.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Aristophanes80
Worse than the small size though, the bathrooms on the Dash-8 do not have running water. Hand sanitizer only.
Yes, used to be on Dash-8 weekly to get to client location but it’s probably two years since my last trip on one. Always tried to avoid using in flight lav.

Just wondering if someone can put a positive marketing spin the bad MAX design. At least with a Dash the flights were rarely more than one hour long....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.