Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (LUS) Regional Bombardier DHC-8-300 / Dash 8 (merged threads)

AA (LUS) Regional Bombardier DHC-8-300 / Dash 8 (merged threads)

Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
New Dash 8 seat configurations?

I was recently on a Dash 8, and the flight attendant mentioned that the seats are being changed so that rows 1 and 2 (seats D and F, I think) will no longer be facing each other; there will be no more backwards-facing seats.

Does anyone know what's happening to these planes? I assume that the affected ones are Piedmont, operated out of CLT.

I do not like flying on them and wish that they were retired.

Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 29, 2017 at 3:46 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
My understanding is that they're simply removing the rear-facing seats 1DF on the Dash 8-300s. The reason for this is to reduce the seat count from 50 to 48, which will allow them to add more RJs without violating the mainline pilot contract scope agreement.

That agreement allows for jets of 31-76 seats to total 75% of the mainline narrowbody fleet count (with some additional sub-limits within that amount.) It also states that turboprops seating 50+ count toward that limit, while turboprops seating fewer than 50 do not. By removing two seats from the 11 Dash 8-300s in the fleet, the company can add 11 more RJs.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Piedmont transitioning away from the Dash-8

http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/...ion-jet-fleet/

"Piedmont Airlines is further expanding its fleet of Embraer 145 regional jets with accelerated deliveries of aircraft from American Airlines starting in early 2017."

"As a result of the accelerated jet expansion, Piedmont will begin to transition away from its traditional aircraft, the de Havilland DHC-8 turboprop. Piedmont expects to start retiring turboprop aircraft at a rate of about one aircraft per month."
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
From the 2015 annual report:

As of December 31, 2015, the fleet of our wholly-owned regional subsidiaries consisted of the following aircraft:

De Havilland Dash 8-100, 26

De Havilland Dash 8-300, 11
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Smile

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/...ion-jet-fleet/

"Piedmont Airlines is further expanding its fleet of Embraer 145 regional jets with accelerated deliveries of aircraft from American Airlines starting in early 2017."

"As a result of the accelerated jet expansion, Piedmont will begin to transition away from its traditional aircraft, the de Havilland DHC-8 turboprop. Piedmont expects to start retiring turboprop aircraft at a rate of about one aircraft per month."
Great news. Thanks for the update.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The big question is: Will markets currently served by Dash-8's lose flight frequency once they are served by the ERJs? Four Dash-8 flights can carry a maximum of 148 passengers -- assuming that the flights are not weight restricted. Three ERJ flights can carry 150 passengers.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
This is bad for HHH and other airports that cannot handle a CRJ or E145.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
This is bad for HHH and other airports that cannot handle a CRJ or E145.
How many airports are out there that cannot handle one of the smaller RJs? Pretty sure I've flown out of TYR airport on an ER4 on one of their two shorter runways (Not sure 4/22 was there when I was there)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by guv1976
The big question is: Will markets currently served by Dash-8's lose flight frequency once they are served by the ERJs? Four Dash-8 flights can carry a maximum of 148 passengers -- assuming that the flights are not weight restricted. Three ERJ flights can carry 150 passengers.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I regularly end up on a Dash 8 for PHL-AVP or PHL-ABE. Both do have CRJ service, but both seem to have more frequencies with the Dash 8. And those Dash 8 flights always seem to be full.
While I certainly would much rather the ERJ, not at the expense of it taking away service.

There isn't a problem with either airport accepting larger aircraft. I know that AF1 has landed at ABE, and AF2 at AVP.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Guess BOS-MDT goes to an ER4 sooner rather than later.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Didn't US fly a 737 from PHL to AVP back in the 1990s? I swear I took one of those flights.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by guv1976
That was my first thought. A few years ago my local airport had five or six flights a day, some on Dash-8 and some on CRJ-200 (Air Wisconsin). Currently it's only three flights, all on Dash-8-100. The times don't work for TATL departures from PHL: either a very long layover, or too tight a connection. I would be willing to stick with the DH8-100 if it mean even one more frequency, and I certainly don't want to lose any.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Didn't US fly a 737 from PHL to AVP back in the 1990s? I swear I took one of those flights.
I'm sure they could have, but I've never done it.

I took a US B737 PIT-AVP, but that was back in 1988, back in the glory days of the PIT hub.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Wonder if we would see new flying in very select markets through Mesa air or Silver Airways? Dash 8s or SF340s?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Guess BOS-MDT goes to an ER4 sooner rather than later.
Or BOS-MDT goes away. Can that route support a larger aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.