Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (LUS) Regional Bombardier DHC-8-300 / Dash 8 (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA (LUS) Regional Bombardier DHC-8-300 / Dash 8 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
"Dash-8"???
Yup - an aeroplane from De Havilland that AA still has a few of

e.g. CLT-SBY AA 4945 and AA 4909

Looking at the seatmaps on seatguru , neither the 100 nor the 300 model seems to have the rear facing seats

Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
or am I having a senior moment and there was never a row 1?
I do not know about AA, but other airlines have had rear facing seats at the front of a Dash 8 ( eg. Qantas has row 1 seats AB CD EF , where EF were the rear facing seats )
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
The company removed the seats in row 1 a little while ago so that they could add more RJs. The scope clause of the mainline pilot contract limits the amount of flying that the company can contract out to non-mainline pilots. One of the limits defines how many aircraft can be outsourced, with the relevant count including all jets with 30 seats or more and all turboprops with 50 seats or more. As the company approached this limit, they chose to solve the problem by removing two seats, 1DF, from the DH3, thus removing the DH3 fleet from the count of aircraft applicable to that limitation.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Were row 1 rear facing though? I've flown on Dash 8's since the Henson days and I'm pretty sure they were all forward facing on my flights, or I would have picked the rear facing seats in a heartbeat. It's possible that was after that modification was made, but that's still looking back almost 30 years.

I DID fly a couple of flights on the Dash 7's back in the day though, and a vaguely remember row 1 was rear facing because of the exit doors right there... Is it possible the OP is thinking of a Dash 7?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've been on the Dash-8 many times, mostly between PHL-ABE/PHL-AVP, and I don't recall there ever being a row with backwards seats. Maybe I just wasn't on the right variant.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Perhaps the OP is remembering the layout of a different carrier which does have the rear facing seats. Did US perhaps have such aeroplane configurations?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Perhaps the OP is remembering the layout of a different carrier which does have the rear facing seats. Did US perhaps have such aeroplane configurations?
Most of my flying in the Dash 8 was from PHL on US.

If I stretch my mind back quite a bit, I think I was on Dash 8's on UA, NW, and TW. But I can't really say for certain. I really don't recall seeing any rear facing seats on any of them. I'm 95% certain that I flew on TW's Dash 8 AVP-DCA, and then again TBN-STL. The airport at TBN was so small when I was there, the, "terminal," was a trailer.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I was definitely in a rear-facing seat from or to CLT maybe 3 years ago or so, so probably was US. Don't remember the type of plane though.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
US did have rear-facing seats in row 1 on Dash-8-300s, at least the ones operating out of CLT under the Piedmont regional banner. I remember selecting those seats on flights between CLT-GSO as recently as three years ago. Haven't flown on a Dash 8 since then, so can't vouch for anything more recent. What T/BE20/G stated above makes sense though in light of the current seat maps- seems AA must've removed them due to scope clause.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ACA321
US did have rear-facing seats in row 1 on Dash-8-300s, at least the ones operating out of CLT under the Piedmont regional banner. I remember selecting those seats on flights between CLT-GSO as recently as three years ago. Haven't flown on a Dash 8 since then, so can't vouch for anything more recent. What T/BE20/G stated above makes sense though in light of the current seat maps- seems AA must've removed them due to scope clause.
Yeah, that's what I remember as well. The Dash 8 flights with rear facing seats in row 1(starboard side) were all on US. Did the new AA get rid of those former US Dash 8 planes?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Ahh the Dash 8 only plane that flies from my home airport HTS
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by dgparent
Ahh the Dash 8 only plane that flies from my home airport HTS
You make it sound like it's a bad thing?

I love planes with propellers. I just bring earplugs and pretend that I'm getting a full body massage for an hour or two.

Plus it helps me overcome my unfounded fear of the propeller breaking off and making a hole in the cabin.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ces-cabin.html
"Air Canada flight from hell as wheel explodes on take off, plane crash lands and propeller slices through fuselage and into female passenger's HEAD"
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
These Dash-8s with the rear-facing seats were common between ROA and CLT too. A while back (maybe a year ago) 1D and 1F were removed from planes on that route, and it's pretty obvious that these are the same planes but with the seats ripped out because you can still see the imprint and wear on the plane floor where they used to be. I asked a flight attendant about it once and she said they were removed for the exact reason that T/BE20/G cited.

For those that didn't get to experience their joys, you weren't missing anything. They were very close to 2D and 2F, making for an awkward ride of intermingling legs and face-to-face staring between rows 1 and 2. Now that the row 1 seats are no longer there though, 2D and 2F have about three feet of legroom :-)
twa777 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I was definitely in a rear-facing seat from or to CLT maybe 3 years ago or so, so probably was US. Don't remember the type of plane though.
Indeed, Piedmont operated DH8s from CLT. I flew them quite a few times between CLT and CAE. When I told the other half what I'd done she was baffled why I'd choose that but after the first try she rather liked it, particularly since it was only a short flight. Was always a bit of a giggle, particularly on steep ascents.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
Indeed, Piedmont operated DH8s from CLT. I flew them quite a few times between CLT and CAE. When I told the other half what I'd done she was baffled why I'd choose that but after the first try she rather liked it, particularly since it was only a short flight. Was always a bit of a giggle, particularly on steep ascents.
I haven't flown AA out of CLT in a while. However, I just noticed that a lot of flights that were formerly operated by RJ200 regional jets are now replaced with Dash 8. (which is how I ended up booking this flight)
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
To ease the confusion for those who don't remember seeing the rear-facing seats... Piedmont operates 2 different Dash 8 variants. The 37 seat DHC-8-100 never had rear facing seats; row 1 was/is a normal 2x2 forward facing row; the larger DHC-8-300 used to be configured with 50, now 48 seats. The -300 is the only variant that had the rear facing seats at 1DF; the AC side of the cabin started at forward-facing seats 2AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.