Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (LUS) Regional Bombardier DHC-8-300 / Dash 8 (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA (LUS) Regional Bombardier DHC-8-300 / Dash 8 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Wonder if we would see new flying in very select markets through Mesa air or Silver Airways? Dash 8s or SF340s?
Mesa doesnt fly props anymore (and hasnt for years). The last was their small Dash 8 operation in PHX that was switched over to jets. Silver Airways has significant issues with reliability due to pilot staffing and would not be a good choice.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm sure they could have, but I've never done it.

I took a US B737 PIT-AVP, but that was back in 1988, back in the glory days of the PIT hub.
For several years in the early 2000s I was doing PHL-DTW commutes every Monday morning, and for most of the time the 733 arrived around 7am from AVP. That said, NE PA isn't exactly growing tremendously economically, so smaller aircraft now are likely more in line with demand.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Didn't US fly a 737 from PHL to AVP back in the 1990s? I swear I took one of those flights.
Yes. I remember taking a "six across" (not sure if it was a 737 or different aircraft type) from PHL-AVP as early as 1983, and a 737 as late as the early 90's.

I distinctly recall one late-night flight in which a PHL-BGM flight cancelled, and they put all of the BGM pax onto our 737 from PHL-AVP (and then bused them from AVP-BGM), and it still didn't fill the aircraft. That probably explains why this route went "all RJ."
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
PHX-TEX was cut after US eliminated Dash-8 service in PHX. Not sure if many other routes were affected, but this was one of the ones I was most sorry to see go. Coolest airport I've ever flown into.

Hopefully not many east coast airports will lose service with the Dash-8 leaving the fleet.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by guv1976
The big question is: Will markets currently served by Dash-8's lose flight frequency once they are served by the ERJs? Four Dash-8 flights can carry a maximum of 148 passengers -- assuming that the flights are not weight restricted. Three ERJ flights can carry 150 passengers.
As a reference, Delta is down about net 40 destinations since early 2009 (377, today 335), when it started dumping the ex-NW Saabs and cutting the 50-seaters by 2/3. That is true even as the airline added international destinations, Pacific Northwest destinations, and grew ASM.

Is is likely AA will lose at least a couple dozen airports served in making similar fleet moves and hub rationalizations.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Glad I get to fly it one last time
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
This is bad for HHH and other airports that cannot handle a CRJ or E145.
Recall hearing SBY is also at risk. Especially rough as it is a crew base.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:57 am

Well PHL has lost a number of flights over the past year so some of it might be upgauging to 145's while reducing frequencies. The number of 145 flights has definitely grown over the past 3-6 months.

Today there are PDT 145's on PHL-DTW, FWA, RIC, MDT, BUF, ALB, GSO, PWM, ERI, BHM, DAY, GSP,
*And many of these cities have 2+ 145's today.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage
What about all the CLT-Eastern NC/SC stations (Florence, New Bern, Jacksonville, Fayetteville) where they probably can't support the flights? E concourse mightbe getting a lot smaller...

Not to mention the fact that Hilton Head won't be able to be served anymore (unless independent silver picks it up to ATL or something...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AJones2000
What about all the CLT-Eastern NC/SC stations (Florence, New Bern, Jacksonville, Fayetteville) where they probably can't support the flights? E concourse mightbe getting a lot smaller...

Not to mention the fact that Hilton Head won't be able to be served anymore (unless independent silver picks it up to ATL or something...
Agreed, this could be huge for smaller airports and flies in the face of how airline mergers are "good for small to medium sized communities." We all knew it wouldn't be.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's not a merger problem. It's a pilot cost versus productivity problem.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AJones2000

I'm not sure why HHH would be dropped unless there is a specific NOTAM disallowing jet ops at the field. Currently there are shorter runways in AA's system, specifically, I can think of EYW with 4.800 and it is served by aircraft as large as an e175. So an e145, a cr2 or cr7 should have no major issue operating. There may be some weight penalties for the field reducing capacity, but that's it.

EDIT: DL runs a 737 down there.

Last edited by danohio; Aug 16, 2016 at 5:12 pm Reason: Facts!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by danohio
I'm not sure why HHH would be dropped unless there is a specific NOTAM disallowing jet ops at the field. Currently there are shorter runways in AA's system, specifically, I can think of EYW with 4.800 and it is served by aircraft as large as an e175. So an e145, a cr2 or cr7 should have no major issue operating. There may be some weight penalties for the field reducing capacity, but that's it.

Airnav.com shows HHH's runway length at 4,300 feet currently. Is that inaccurate?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

HHH is 4,300 ft. Even the Dash's are weight restricted.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold

HHH runway is 4300 FT long, it is quite exciting in a DHC-8 with full power before brake release. You can get a small private jet (CL-60) in there but no commercial jets are routinely capable.

Sorry typing during previous responses

Last edited by turkeyRIOO; Aug 16, 2016 at 6:31 pm Reason: added sorry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.