Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Seat issues are not uncommon between finding, holding, booking and during the interim between booking and flying. There may be various reasons this can happen.
Seat assignments Link
  • We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
  • You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
Seat held, changed or gone at booking: One member theorizes a held seat may be taken by a positive purchase by another passenger. But it could be due to another factor listed below.

Disability designated seat: Some seats are assigned preferentially to people with disabilities, and their companions, under the Air Carrier Access Act. Even some non-disability seats may be required for a person with a disability in some conditions.

"American blocks a limited number of seats on each aircraft to accommodate customers who identify themselves as having a qualified disability. Adjacent seats are provided, under certain circumstances, for customers with disabilities who must travel with a companion for assistance."

Flight nearly full: Once a flight has reached certain capacity guidelines, no further seats will be assigned. This leaves airport staff room to deal with the needs of persons with disabilities, no shows, delayed connections, etc.

Boarding pass scan fail: Sometimes a boarding pass scan fails (listen for the "Beep!") and your seat may register as no show, so another, later Passenger or standby gets your seat too.

Equipment change: AA Information Technology's very inefficient at these. You may have selected a Main Cabin Extra as an elite, yet a change from one aircraft subtype with differently numbered seat rows to another and you may find yourself moved from your carefully selected MCE aisle seat to a middle seat in one of the last rows. Aircraft substitutions from one type to another (77W to 772 or v. v.) or even "downgauging" (767 to 757) may occur - this will generally result in unanticipated seat changes.

Equipment malfunction: A seat may not be available on a specific flight because it was reported as malfunctioning and has not been repaired yet.

Crew rest seat: Some seats are contractually required to be set aside for resting crew, on flights of specific lengths.

Federal Air Marshal ("FAM"): FAMs are generally accommodated in the highest class of service in seats that are often popular with passengers. These accommodations may occur at any time, and by law AA must both comply and not reveal to passengers the reason for their seat loss or change. That's correct: AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was given to a FAM, so you will only hear implausible and made up reasons of how you lost your seat.

Passengers seated in the front cabin (or front of the cabin in single cabin and class aircraft) may occasionally find themselves displaced from their seat without any notice or comment, displaced to a less favored seat or even downgraded to the next lowest class of service. Contacting AA may provide answers as to "why" that don't make sense, multiple or non-specific reasons. These will often mean your seat has been requisitioned by a Federal Air Marshal (FAM).

Q. Why won't AA tell me why I lost my seat?

AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was requisitioned by a FAM or otherwise revealing there is a FAM on board or where they might be seated. FAMs are supposed to blend in with passengers. At best, you may be told "it's a security issue"; that's usually a confirmation of a FAM seat requisition.

Q. Can I get "unFAMed"?

There is no way to recover your original seat if it has been requisitioned by a FAM; you have no recourse other than to work with the AA system to seek a better available seat, or even reaccommodation on another flight with available and similar seating.

Q. Can I get compensated for losing my seat?

You can request fare differences, compensation and certainly get upgrade instruments reinstated if you were displaced to a lower class of service. You will not be eligible for compensation if your seat was changed within the same class of service (even if you are now separated from travel companions), however, as if you book a specific seat, a specific seat is not guaranteed by American Airlines.

Q. What is a FAM, anyway?

A Federal Air Marshal is a specially trained plain clothes anti-terrorism law enforcement officer of the Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS), "a United States federal law enforcement agency under the supervision of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS)." (Wikipedia)

Q. What is a FAMs specific job?

"The Air Marshal Service is meant to promote confidence in civil aviation by effectively deploying federal air marshals (FAMs) to detect, deter, and defeat hostile acts targeting the United States." (TSA)
Other: AA might be required to seat a passenger with a small child together, displacing another passenger. There may be other reasons as well.

It is suggested you regularly check your itineraries to deal with route and flight changes (often unannounced) and seat changes (always unannounced).

Link to thread detailing use of Twitter for contact with AA (some have used for seat loss remediation)
Print Wikipost

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by paddock_rat
Last week, my wife and I held paid first class tickets with preassigned seats together on AA 79 from LHR to DFW.
Originally Posted by JDiver
Perhaps I e missed the reference, but what aircraft types are we discussing here? A321T / transcontinental Airbus A321-200 Sharklets? Certainly not the 777-323ER / 77W, but I want to double check
AA79 LHR-DFW would be a 77W.
JDiver and ijgordon like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE
I noticed this morning that I got "FAMmed" on my LHR-DFW flight next week. We were in 1J/2J now 1J/1A. I called ExPlat and was told that HQ made the seat move.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by JDiver
But there’s little doubt the musical chairs game here, with the ensuing confusion over how to treat passengers, ensued from the required boarding of two Federal Air Marshalls.
We had a friend get booted from a paid J seat on Iberia LAX to MAD. He is pretty laid back and slept in an empty row in Y and got cash in euros on arrival to MAD. It was an A 330. His experience sounds like a FAM moment, and it makes sense that non US carriers will also occasionally have FAMs ex US. Is this a correct assumption?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CO777ER
I noticed this morning that I got "FAMmed" on my LHR-DFW flight next week. We were in 1J/2J now 1J/1A. I called ExPlat and was told that HQ made the seat move.
That sounds about right. I wonder if there’s a “list of lame excuses” AA can use for FAM displacement.

Originally Posted by boerne
We had a friend get booted from a paid J seat on Iberia LAX to MAD. He is pretty laid back and slept in an empty row in Y and got cash in euros on arrival to MAD. It was an A 330. His experience sounds like a FAM moment, and it makes sense that non US carriers will also occasionally have FAMs ex US. Is this a correct assumption?
I’m not really informed about this, but I’m speculating foreign carriers would have to comply with all US-imposed security requirements on US-bound flights. They do with the extra security, and I’d bet they must on Federal Air Marshalls carriage as well. Mind you, it may have been something else. While I like IB in the air, on the ground they’ve always sucked, IMO. Though I think they might suck slightly less today than in the 1960-70s.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Open questions:

1) By law, as a US carrier, must AA comply with EC261 both to and from destinations in Europe?
2) Is AA required to process any reimbursement due automatically, when a passenger is downgraded or if not, are they required to advise the passenger of how to apply for the reimbursement?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Open questions:

1) By law, as a US carrier, must AA comply with EC261 both to and from destinations in Europe?
Only from Europe, not to Europe. European carriers bust provide EU261 compensation in both directions, but not foreign airlines like AA.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:33 am

Open questions:

2) Is AA required to process any reimbursement due automatically, when a passenger is downgraded or if not, are they required to advise the passenger of how to apply for the reimbursement?
1) No only departing EU

2) Not automatic, but they are required to inform you of your rights and where to file a claim
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, there's no view of the cockpit from 2J, only the galley, maybe the FAM is studying for his/her next career move into foodservice?
JDiver and Spiff like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, there's no view of the cockpit from 2J, only the galley, maybe the FAM is studying for his/her next career move into foodservice?
ROFL! Or the FAMs caused a musical chairs passenger shuffle.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
So is it correct to say that a willingness to flat-out lie to customers is a requirement for working in any customer-facing position in an airline? If so, do they state this in their written job responsibilities?

It seems like anyone fired for refusing to do so for religious or ethical reasons would have a heck of a case.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE
The agent blamed "HQ" for making the move and said seat assignments were not guaranteed. If it's not a FAM perhaps it'll be a celebrity .
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I don't think agents are supposed to explicitly tell passengers FAMs need the seats. Do agents even have access to that info? Agents have no choice other than to say something vague like "security" (even that is pushing boundaries), "need to accommodate certain customers", or "headquarters/operations made the seat changes". Especially if that's what agents are told when calling around.

Last edited by Austin787; Jul 3, 2018 at 1:55 pm
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The agent blamed "HQ" for making the move and said seat assignments were not guaranteed. If it's not a FAM perhaps it'll be a celebrity .
Either way you should harass them and demand to know how they got that seat.

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
So is it correct to say that a willingness to flat-out lie to customers is a requirement for working in any customer-facing position in an airline?
Oh come on. Withholding information is not the same as lying. And frankly most front line agents wouldn’t even know the true reason.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
So is it correct to say that a willingness to flat-out lie to customers is a requirement for working in any customer-facing position in an airline? If so, do they state this in their written job responsibilities?

It seems like anyone fired for refusing to do so for religious or ethical reasons would have a heck of a case.
Yes. But that applies to a lot of circumstances. It is fair to say that building engineers, security people, telephone repair people, computer techs and many others must also have a willingness to flat-out lie to their customers/bosses (depending on the who they deal with). Because many of them will become aware of a FISA-based wiretap and they are prohibited, by law, from disclosing that knowledge to anyone.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:23 pm

Please. It’s a Federal requirement not to disclose the FAM presence, not the airline’s. The airline’s employees are not required to lie, they are prohibited from disclosing the information. People with security clearances are under similar strictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.