Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Seat issues are not uncommon between finding, holding, booking and during the interim between booking and flying. There may be various reasons this can happen.
Seat assignments Link
  • We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
  • You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
Seat held, changed or gone at booking: One member theorizes a held seat may be taken by a positive purchase by another passenger. But it could be due to another factor listed below.

Disability designated seat: Some seats are assigned preferentially to people with disabilities, and their companions, under the Air Carrier Access Act. Even some non-disability seats may be required for a person with a disability in some conditions.

"American blocks a limited number of seats on each aircraft to accommodate customers who identify themselves as having a qualified disability. Adjacent seats are provided, under certain circumstances, for customers with disabilities who must travel with a companion for assistance."

Flight nearly full: Once a flight has reached certain capacity guidelines, no further seats will be assigned. This leaves airport staff room to deal with the needs of persons with disabilities, no shows, delayed connections, etc.

Boarding pass scan fail: Sometimes a boarding pass scan fails (listen for the "Beep!") and your seat may register as no show, so another, later Passenger or standby gets your seat too.

Equipment change: AA Information Technology's very inefficient at these. You may have selected a Main Cabin Extra as an elite, yet a change from one aircraft subtype with differently numbered seat rows to another and you may find yourself moved from your carefully selected MCE aisle seat to a middle seat in one of the last rows. Aircraft substitutions from one type to another (77W to 772 or v. v.) or even "downgauging" (767 to 757) may occur - this will generally result in unanticipated seat changes.

Equipment malfunction: A seat may not be available on a specific flight because it was reported as malfunctioning and has not been repaired yet.

Crew rest seat: Some seats are contractually required to be set aside for resting crew, on flights of specific lengths.

Federal Air Marshal ("FAM"): FAMs are generally accommodated in the highest class of service in seats that are often popular with passengers. These accommodations may occur at any time, and by law AA must both comply and not reveal to passengers the reason for their seat loss or change. That's correct: AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was given to a FAM, so you will only hear implausible and made up reasons of how you lost your seat.

Passengers seated in the front cabin (or front of the cabin in single cabin and class aircraft) may occasionally find themselves displaced from their seat without any notice or comment, displaced to a less favored seat or even downgraded to the next lowest class of service. Contacting AA may provide answers as to "why" that don't make sense, multiple or non-specific reasons. These will often mean your seat has been requisitioned by a Federal Air Marshal (FAM).

Q. Why won't AA tell me why I lost my seat?

AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was requisitioned by a FAM or otherwise revealing there is a FAM on board or where they might be seated. FAMs are supposed to blend in with passengers. At best, you may be told "it's a security issue"; that's usually a confirmation of a FAM seat requisition.

Q. Can I get "unFAMed"?

There is no way to recover your original seat if it has been requisitioned by a FAM; you have no recourse other than to work with the AA system to seek a better available seat, or even reaccommodation on another flight with available and similar seating.

Q. Can I get compensated for losing my seat?

You can request fare differences, compensation and certainly get upgrade instruments reinstated if you were displaced to a lower class of service. You will not be eligible for compensation if your seat was changed within the same class of service (even if you are now separated from travel companions), however, as if you book a specific seat, a specific seat is not guaranteed by American Airlines.

Q. What is a FAM, anyway?

A Federal Air Marshal is a specially trained plain clothes anti-terrorism law enforcement officer of the Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS), "a United States federal law enforcement agency under the supervision of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS)." (Wikipedia)

Q. What is a FAMs specific job?

"The Air Marshal Service is meant to promote confidence in civil aviation by effectively deploying federal air marshals (FAMs) to detect, deter, and defeat hostile acts targeting the United States." (TSA)
Other: AA might be required to seat a passenger with a small child together, displacing another passenger. There may be other reasons as well.

It is suggested you regularly check your itineraries to deal with route and flight changes (often unannounced) and seat changes (always unannounced).

Link to thread detailing use of Twitter for contact with AA (some have used for seat loss remediation)
Print Wikipost

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Andykh
OK, here's is my story. Needed to fly the family of four, including one lap infant, PHX-SJC on Thanksgivings week. The only direct flights are WN or AA, reasonably priced WN is sold out, so AA looked like the only option. After careful research and with heavy heart I booked row 9 (paid MCE) on AA 536 flight, hoping that at least A319 MCE should not be as bad as the rest of Oasis coach. Couple of days ago by pure coincidence I learned that the aircraft for my flight was changed from A319 to A320 with no real MCE but with bulkhead coach row and exit rows designated as such. Obviously, they cannot put a family with lap infant in exit row, so they moved us to the bulkhead row 4, but what's worse, they cannot even keep us together in ABC or DEF. This is absolutely a deal breaker for me. I considered upgrading to 1st, but there are none left on this flight. At the circumstances I'd rather fly United's PHX-SFO than this.

Two questions:
1) Any way for me to get out of this mess? I understand that I still can get my money back in case of significant schedule change or flight cancellation but it seems highly unlikely as the flight is during the holidays. The reservation was made through Chase portal and there is no status with AA, if that's important.
2) How bad is the A320 bulkhead row 4 comparing to actual MCE on A319?

Thanks
So, you now have 3 seats in row 4 but not ABC or DEF? It seems to me that once you board you have a very good chance of persuading whoever's in the 3rd seat with your 2 to swap -- getting them away from the infant -- across the aisle.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was upgraded a few days ago for my flight this evening on a 738 and choose 5F. I woke up this morning and discovered my seat assignment was gone and the system wouldn't let me select another seat. The Twitter team assigned me to the last open seat (3B) but wouldn't say why my seat was moved.

I can't imagine a FAM would be seated in 5F and the plane was not reconfigured to an oasis layout.

Thoughts on why I lost my seat?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by dciolli

While there are undoubtedly other possibilities, something similar happened to me when the original seat I selected was a broken seat (covered with tape when I was on the plane).
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ckendall
While there are undoubtedly other possibilities, something similar happened to me when the original seat I selected was a broken seat (covered with tape when I was on the plane).
Interesting! I will see whether the someone is actually sitting in the seat later today.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dciolli
I was upgraded a few days ago for my flight this evening on a 738 and choose 5F. I woke up this morning and discovered my seat assignment was gone and the system wouldn't let me select another seat. The Twitter team assigned me to the last open seat (3B) but wouldn't say why my seat was moved.

I can't imagine a FAM would be seated in 5F and the plane was not reconfigured to an oasis layout.

Any chance you had a swap from a non-reconfigured 738 to an Oasis 738? The non-reconfigured ones are rows 3-6 in First while the Oasis ones are rows 1-4.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Any chance you had a swap from a non-reconfigured 738 to an Oasis 738? The non-reconfigured ones are rows 3-6 in First while the Oasis ones are rows 1-4.
Nope, no change with the layout. No one ever sat in the seat on the flight and it was showing as blocked on the seat map, so I think ckendall was correct that the seat was inoperable (though I didn't see any indication of what was wrong with it).
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
What is AA’s procedure for processing downgrades for equipment changes? I was recently on AA 736 PHL-LHR which had a last minute equipment change from 333 to 332. Traveling partner and I were booked in 4A and 5A (traveling on miles), and due to equipment change 5A was blocked for crew rest. Lots of angry J passengers at the gate, but we were given 4A and 4C, and the passenger who originally had 4C was booted to PE. I guess my PLT status got me something for once!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Andykh
OK, here's is my story. Needed to fly the family of four, including one lap infant, PHX-SJC on Thanksgivings week. The only direct flights are WN or AA, reasonably priced WN is sold out, so AA looked like the only option. After careful research and with heavy heart I booked row 9 (paid MCE) on AA 536 flight, hoping that at least A319 MCE should not be as bad as the rest of Oasis coach. Couple of days ago by pure coincidence I learned that the aircraft for my flight was changed from A319 to A320 with no real MCE but with bulkhead coach row and exit rows designated as such. Obviously, they cannot put a family with lap infant in exit row, so they moved us to the bulkhead row 4, but what's worse, they cannot even keep us together in ABC or DEF. This is absolutely a deal breaker for me. I considered upgrading to 1st, but there are none left on this flight. At the circumstances I'd rather fly United's PHX-SFO than this.

Two questions:
1) Any way for me to get out of this mess? I understand that I still can get my money back in case of significant schedule change or flight cancellation but it seems highly unlikely as the flight is during the holidays. The reservation was made through Chase portal and there is no status with AA, if that's important.
2) How bad is the A320 bulkhead row 4 comparing to actual MCE on A319?

Thanks
Do you have one or two middle seats? If one, then you might be able to convince the middle seat on the other side to switch.
On the refund topic.. AA had/has a policy that would permit cancellation and refund based on a change in the aircraft type
I do not know if it would count for A319 to A320. I did it with a 787 to 738 change (as I was losing PE seating), but that was awhile ago.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:35 pm

I’m going 0 for 2 in the past two weeks:

- Flying JFK to LAX and was sitting in 8C after my upgrade clearing on Sunday for a Thursday flight. Wednesday I go to check in and my seats unassigned. I call in and apparently the system tried to “double upgrade” once with my auto upgrade on Sunday and again with the SWU I applied on Wednesday. Agent spent 45 mins trying to rectify, unapologetically gave me back my SWU and 5,000 miles

- Flying EWR to DFW and did a same day change, selected 9D and checked in. I was 9D and went to the airport, through security and sat in the admirals club. About to leave the club and was checking my gate when I see my seat was 21D. I asked the agent before I left and basically just said we don’t know. I went to the gate and they were the culprit. They said someone else checked in with that seat and the “club” messed up so they were giving them back their seat. Since they “checked in first” they moved me to 21D and reassigned the “original” 9D owner. They checked in first so they were the “rightful” owners and that was only fair... ummm okay.

I can never tell if AA is this bad or I’m just unlucky?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I recently completed a trip TPA-DCA,BOS-PHL-TPA. I had picked good MCE seats and requested upgrades for all 3 segments. A month or two before the trip, I discovered that all 3 seat assignments had been changed, in one case to no seat at all. For 2 out of 3, I was able to reclaim the original seats. It didn't look like there had been any aircraft changes -- 23F on a 321 was what I had for 2 segments but could only get back on 1. I called AA and got a shrug; "the system just does that sometimes".

No luck on any of the upgrades. For PHL-TPA, I was #3 . #1 cleared, #2 was called by GA and standing by during boarding, and I was told there was no point in my waiting as well.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:39 am

Went to log in for my flight tomorrow LHR-DFW and lost my assigned 3A and put into the middle. This is the third time this has happened to me as an EXP in paid J or F in the past year and I'm freaking livid.

No aircraft change and I had the seat (3A) as recently as yesterday.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
Originally Posted by thelark
Went to log in for my flight tomorrow LHR-DFW and lost my assigned 3A and put into the middle. This is the third time this has happened to me as an EXP in paid J or F in the past year and I'm freaking livid.

DFW-MCO for tomorrow. Had aisle, non-bulkhead seat in F back when booked in October. Went to check in today and saw the dreaded "choose seat". Only thing available now is bulkhead window. Called AA EXP and got the usual "Oh well, sucks to be you!", wrapped up in various bows and pleasantries, of course. You would think that in 2019, their automated system would be smart enough to know, during a schedule/equipment change to put people back in their same physical seats.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by thelark

Originally Posted by AGuyAndADogInDFW
DFW-MCO for tomorrow. Had aisle, non-bulkhead seat in F back when booked in October. Went to check in today and saw the dreaded "choose seat". Only thing available now is bulkhead window. Called AA EXP and got the usual "Oh well, sucks to be you!", wrapped up in various bows and pleasantries, of course. You would think that in 2019, their automated system would be smart enough to know, during a schedule/equipment change to put people back in their same physical seats.

Similar situation encountered last night. Got a EF seat alert notification that window seat in 777W opened up in the mini-J cabin, logged in and snagged it. Decided to look at short haul segment just for kicks and I lost my 2C on A319 and was placed in 1A. (As I'm typing this out I log in to get details right and now was able to select 2D). Will be interesting to see who's in 2C come Tuesday evening (LAX-SFO).
Old May 1, 2021, 9:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Booked on a 772 for end of June - party of 4 in J (took 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L). 2L got changed to 9L. Would a FAM be assigned 7-8 weeks out?
Old May 15, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Sorry if this is a known issue and has already been discussed elsewhere. I honestly searched this thread and couldn't find any mention of it; so will appreciate a gentle push in the right direction.
I am encountering a peculiar issue with pre-selecting a seat on AA site. I made a booking with a travel agent (complex itinerary, ticket issued by AY, two legs of the flight are on AA metal marketed by AY). Whole booking is on R fare (Business). I have AA PNR, and see that I was assigned a seat on my outbound (4F) and no seat on the inbound.
When trying to select/change seats, AA.com only gives options in Main Cabin. I checked seats availability on both flights and it appears to be quite good (8 seats out of 16 in F show as unoccupied). Anyone knows if there's a workaround without calling AA - I would hate to waste someone's time on such a petty matter?
[Slowly realizing that I just did exactly that by posting this message; oh well....]
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.