Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Awful flight attendant, starts shouting at my girlfriend for a blanket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awful flight attendant, starts shouting at my girlfriend for a blanket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
akcae, with due respect, I made it very clear that I was NOT making a judgment as to the (in)appropriateness of the FA's actions.
I certainly didn't read your post that way.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
And a cursory reading reveals what probably happened (conjecture):

This FA is probably one of those people who does his job tasks in a very prescribed order (not saying it is right or wrong). The second request obviously set him off; he seems one of those people who just couldn't easily articulate that he had not forgotten your first request.

I work with a person like that (although not as bad); he has set ways and sequences and becomes flummoxed when asked to deviate.
What you describe is fine in a FA. In fact, it is par for the course on LH . That being said, there is no excuse for yelling at passengers who are simply making a request. Simply stating, "I'll make a note of that and bring a blanket to you once we are safely in flight," or something to that effect would have been sufficient.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I feel for you.

I was actually having a pretty good year so far but yesterdays DFW-HKG flight put my expectations on AA back to their place. The service (in F) was so comically bad that I will not think twice about spending a little more to be on CX or JL for my transpacificflights. It all started with a very stern announcement about the flights attendants being there "primarily" for passenger safety and went all downhill from there...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by satman40
You could have looked for one, on an empty seat, he may have been busy with other things at the time..

A blanket is something one can do with out, or wait on..

Was this before departure, during boarding,,

I am not above grabbing one..their is one on every seat..
I have been on AA planes, where they had cranked up the cold air to the point of me needing the blanket to just cover my head/neck. And no, I am not talking about the individual air outlet above the seat, but the air coming out along the wall.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Gshumway
I have been on AA planes, where they had cranked up the cold air to the point of me needing the blanket to just cover my head/neck. And no, I am not talking about the individual air outlet above the seat, but the air coming out along the wall.
Last Monday at DFW half of us boarded the plane before they closed the ramp. So we sat there waiting for the ramp to reopen on a plane that was so cold that I was constantly being showered by ice crystals from the a/c vents. I was very glad I had a sweater plus the provided blanket.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
People produce heat, so they do lower the tempature,

I would rather fee a chill that be sweating,

They have to fill the plane, and get it out on time..it is a tough job..

.''showtime...

I am not happy all the time, but they take pretty good care of me..I have a few million miles on AA.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ysolde
What you describe is fine in a FA. In fact, it is par for the course on LH .
Certainly doesn't comport with my experience on LH.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Certainly doesn't comport with my experience on LH.
Certainly does comport with mine. Alles in ordnung! Which is fine, I can deal with that, but a little comical at times.

YMMV
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Certainly does comport with mine. Alles in ordnung! Which is fine, I can deal with that, but a little comical at times.

YMMV
Oh, yes. I have shared this on an LH thread, but I think it was one of the first times we were flying LH back from FRA, in C. My husband asked the FA for a refill on his Diet Coke (sorry . . . Coca Light ), and she replied, "No, no. We have finished the drinks service. We are doing the meal service now." Or something to that effect. My husband said, "But it's just a Diet Coke," and she gave him a LOOK. The kind your mother gives you when you are about to be sent to your room without dinner. So he quietly awaited his mediocre lunch. And whispered to me, "I don't know if Helga over there was getting ready to spank me, but she looked like she might enjoy it. " Drinks service. Then meal service. Then you will all sleep, or Helga will begin administering the spankings.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Simple fix here - ask for the purser immediately. If by some off chance this was the purser working in Y, then you're somewhat stuck while onboard, but can pass this onto AA.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
With this crazy FA, asking for the purser might have gotten the OP a lengthy interview with the local police. It is best to tweet or send a brief email with the details to AA Customer Service, after the flight has been completed. It does get back to the FA's supervisor and their personnel file.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
That is too bad you had such awful service from this FA! It amazes me that a person like that continues to work in the service industry. Sounds like this FA may need a career change. Hopefully AA is able to improve their service to the standards of airlines like Ethiad or LAN.

Has AA ever thought of bringing in FAs from premier airlines to help coach their FAs? AA has a few great FAs, but as a whole, their staff is not particularly service oriented compared to other airlines I have flown.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME, AA's FAs (good heavens, that's a lot of internet acronyms!) tend to be quite warm and friendly, in the manner of American, and AA. That said, something (which I have suspicions about, but have no way of knowing for sure) is beginning to wear quite thin on an increasing number of them, and over the course of the last two years, I have seen more of them less willing to do anything more than the bare minimum, by the book service. Resentment has clearly grown, and it is spilling over toward passengers at times. There is also an obvious stress level, and sometimes it feels like you can cut the atmosphere with a knife.

I love AA, I particularly love the FAs, as they are the people with whom I interact most during my travels, but I have to admit, it really does feel lately like something is about to give . . .
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:11 pm

I've learned from my kids when they say someone is SHOUTING or YELLING at them that often times they mean the person is just speaking rudely but in an inside voice. Not that the FA's words were diplomatic or professional when they said "Are you listening to me?" but was the FA seriously SHOUTING as in yelling loudly and causing a scene? Or like my kids call it, but using the wrong adjective or whatever.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by formeraa
With this crazy FA, asking for the purser might have gotten the OP a lengthy interview with the local police. It is best to tweet or send a brief email with the details to AA Customer Service, after the flight has been completed. It does get back to the FA's supervisor and their personnel file.
If they want to call the cops on me for asking to speak to someone else, I say let them. This is an important time to keep your cool and not raise your voice. The cops aren't going to be called without the purser being involved, so there's a few ways this plays out:

1) Crazy FA loses it, threatens police. Purser gets involved, you tell your side of the blanket (and now the police) issue, problem goes away. Too many people give in when the threat of police involvement comes out, and that's why people get away with it.

2) Crazy FA happens to be the purser, police get called if they actually follow through on the threat. They will interview those around you. You did nothing wrong, broke no laws, and they can't charge you with anything. This is why it is key to remain calm and be able to truthfully say that all you did was ask to speak to someone else.

I do agree that details should be shared with AA regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.