Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Awful flight attendant, starts shouting at my girlfriend for a blanket

Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold

I was flying JFK-LHR last night on AA104 in MCE (as OW Sapphire but this is NOT the point, (edited) )
Redeye flight, no blankets or pillows available. We very politely turned to the flight attendant doing the pre-flight checks to ask for a blanket and a pillow.

His answer:

-"There should be one in each seat."
- Yes but there isn't, do you mind bringing us one?
- Someone should have taken it.
- Ok, but please can you bring us one?

FA starts shouting:

"ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME? THERE IS ONLY ONE PER SEAT. SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN IT" (repeated a few times)

We were shocked. Really shocked from how rude and loud he was. I haven't even experienced this in a greek rural bus. Didn't really expect from an FA to start shouting

He returned after a while with blankets and pillows for everyone though.

Last edited by DrHalxx; Jun 23, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
since when did "Cesar" start working transatlantic?!

sorry for the inside joke.....couldn't help myself

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jun 23, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Did He Know Who You Were?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Did He Know Who You Were?
That's obviously not the point, I'm not trying to turn this to a DYKWIA. Never had this attitude. <3. I've probably been spoiled by the brits and their "politeness"
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
When can we the passenger voice our concern to the pilot fearing our safety because of the flight attendants behavior and ask for him to be removed??
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you have the details available, consider passing the information on to the AA Twitter team.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enviroian
When can we the passenger voice our concern to the pilot fearing our safety because of the flight attendants behavior and ask for him to be removed??
Sure you can. Just ask the flight attendant to pass your request on to the pilot...
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Unfortunately not everyone is cut out to be a FA. I think most FA get to the point they love the lifestyle but hate the paxs so anything beyond the basics throws them into a tizzy. In an ordinary work setting these kind of employees wouldn't last. However, the air travel industry is unique in the fact crew are unmonitored and not managed. Therefore, really bad employees get to keep their jobs.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Unfortunately not everyone is cut out to be a FA. I think most FA get to the point they love the lifestyle but hate the paxs so anything beyond the basics throws them into a tizzy. In an ordinary work setting these kind of employees wouldn't last. However, the air travel industry is unique in the fact crew are unmonitored and not managed. Therefore, really bad employees get to keep their jobs.
And a cursory reading reveals what probably happened (conjecture):

This FA is probably one of those people who does his job tasks in a very prescribed order (not saying it is right or wrong). The second request obviously set him off; he seems one of those people who just couldn't easily articulate that he had not forgotten your first request.

I work with a person like that (although not as bad); he has set ways and sequences and becomes flummoxed when asked to deviate.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

This FA is probably one of those people who does his job tasks in a very prescribed order (not saying it is right or wrong). The second request obviously set him off; he seems one of those people who just couldn't easily articulate that he had not forgotten your first request.

I work with a person like that (although not as bad); he has set ways and sequences and becomes flummoxed when asked to deviate.
Does this make it acceptable?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:29 pm
Suspended

I think that's a pretty good encapsulation.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
You could have looked for one, on an empty seat, he may have been busy with other things at the time..

A blanket is something one can do with out, or wait on..

Was this before departure, during boarding,,

I am not above grabbing one..their is one on every seat..
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I think that's a pretty good encapsulation.
Still not an excuse for rudeness and deplorable treatment of customers.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Did anyone else read the title as "awful girlfriend, starts shouting at FA for blanket"?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by akcae
Still not an excuse for rudeness and deplorable treatment of customers.
akcae, with due respect, I made it very clear that I was NOT making a judgment as to the (in)appropriateness of the FA's actions.

Like I told someone in a different thread, when you serve on a jury in a criminal matter, it is appropriate to try to understand the motivation of the defandant. This effort in no way implies that the criminal deed is being condoned.

Please re-read my post if there is any doubt in your mind.

Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.