Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Sorry if I missed this, but how are EQDs handled in IRROPS? I had a round trip first class domestic ticket and my return was impacted by the winter weather in the Northeast on Jan 7. I was scheduled to fly SAF-DFW-BOS, but I ended up flying SAF-DFW-PHL and taking the train the rest of the way.

AA gave me 57 EQDs for the DFW-PHL segment, which seems very low. For comparison, I earned 309 EQDs for BOS-DFW, and 109 and 137 for the flights to and from SAF. Curious if I have any recourse.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
Sorry if I missed this, but how are EQDs handled in IRROPS? I had a round trip first class domestic ticket and my return was impacted by the winter weather in the Northeast on Jan 7. I was scheduled to fly SAF-DFW-BOS, but I ended up flying SAF-DFW-PHL and taking the train the rest of the way.

AA gave me 57 EQDs for the DFW-PHL segment, which seems very low. For comparison, I earned 309 EQDs for BOS-DFW, and 109 and 137 for the flights to and from SAF. Curious if I have any recourse.
What does the total equal for all flights? Should equal the base fare before taxes and fees are added. In rebooking very little value may remain to the ticket as most was credited towards the other flights. Add them up and compare to your receipt remembering to only look at base fare.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
BOS-DFW 309
DFW-SAF 109
SAF-DFW 137
DFW-PHL 57
Total EQDs: 612

Base fare on original ticket was $942.10.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
BOS-DFW 309
DFW-SAF 109
SAF-DFW 137
DFW-PHL 57
Total EQDs: 612

Base fare on original ticket was $942.10.
Have you spoken to AA AAdvantage customer service? I expect that it will be able to correct the EQDs to reflect the actual fare paid quite easily. Seems likely an issue with the rebooking. Looks like the taxes would be $64, leaving a fare of 878, with approx 266 to be credited
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Have you spoken to AA AAdvantage customer service?
No not yet, I wanted to see if there was an answer first. I wasn't sure if EQDs were things that you couldn't earn if you didn't fly.

Plus, after six phone calls and chock full of misinformation and frankly outright lies about getting my checked bag back after this trip, I needed a break.

I will try this afternoon and report back.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:27 pm

AA AAdvantage Customer Service told me it was correct that I earned 57 EQDs and 285 Base Miles for my DFW-PHL segment. It is being sent for review, but the rep said she thought it had something to do with a ticket exchange and an increase in taxes / fees.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:21 pm

Received an email today that there had been an error and the remaining EQDs were added to my account. Phew.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
So, dumb question - am I calculating correctly that I can come out ahead on a partner airline?

As an example, there's an LAX-DOH-CGK-DOH-LAX for about $560. It's an O fare so I get 50% EQMs, and 5% EQDs.

That equates to 12,588 EQMs and 1,258 EQDs. Isn't that 2x's the 1:1 EQD earning rate on a standard AA fare?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear
So, dumb question - am I calculating correctly that I can come out ahead on a partner airline?

As an example, there's an LAX-DOH-CGK-DOH-LAX for about $560. It's an O fare so I get 50% EQMs, and 5% EQDs.

That equates to 12,588 EQMs and 1,258 EQDs. Isn't that 2x's the 1:1 EQD earning rate on a standard AA fare?
You're getting much better EQD for the same fare, but only half the EQM.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
You're getting much better EQD for the same fare, but only half the EQM.
Yup - totally understand that on the EQMs. However, I'm thinking I will possibly have more challenges with EQDs this year than EQMs.

Thanks for confirming!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
3x

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Yup - totally understand that on the EQMs. However, I'm thinking I will possibly have more challenges with EQDs this year than EQMs.

Thanks for confirming!
It is possible to get up to 3x on QR if you look. I got LAX-SIN for $1700 which gives 4800 EQD's.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
EQD question: AA vacation flights EQDs based on distance. Is there anything akin to the 500 EQM minimum? For example, is DCA-PHL EQD earning based on 500 miles or the hundred plus miles actually flown? (searched but could not find an answer)

Also, as an aside, I flew on an AA Vacation package that had a $ value attached to the flight and it was only after repeated HUACA that an AAdvantage agent would accurately credit EQDs. Front line agents refused to budge stating that EQDs (and RDMs) where based on $ and most supervisors said the same - last one, obviously, knew the rules and thankfully fixed everything. AA Vacations (substantially incompetent based on two recent adventures) made things worse by claiming ignorance of special fares EQD earnings.

Cheers -
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:05 am

I had a choice of booking my JFK-HKG flight on either CX or AA. By booking on CX, I was able to reach status instantly as their method of calculating EQDs is based off on mileage and not price! I am good with EQMs, but EQDs gives me a lot of trouble reaching status.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Which leaves us with the problem that we have no idea what portion of the total fare + CIF will be apportioned to the AA segments.
The flight I'm currently looking at is 7360 AA marketed BA stock out of 22,820 total miles, which is around 32%. Let's see if they apportion 32% of the BA fare+YQ as EQDs.

In my case this ends up meaning that I earn EQDs at 6.66% of the distance, which is really frustrating because all the AA sectors have an RBD of H, which earns 100% RDM and 20% EQD based on distance as a special fare
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nwngeek212
The flight I'm currently looking at is 7360 AA marketed BA stock out of 22,820 total miles, which is around 32%. Let's see if they apportion 32% of the BA fare+YQ as EQDs.

In my case this ends up meaning that I earn EQDs at 6.66% of the distance, which is really frustrating because all the AA sectors have an RBD of H, which earns 100% RDM and 20% EQD based on distance as a special fare
Not sure how Special Fares fit into this.

And what are the other segments? AA-marketed/operated? BA-marketed/operated? I would assume that BA's YQ applies to BA-operated flights only, and you can probably find out how that applies per segment.

I was more wondering about how the base fare gets divied up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.