Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Post Partner EQD=RDM/5

AA adjusted the RDM earned on a lot of partner flights effective 01 Aug, and they have effectively defined EQD for partners at RDM/5=EQD. This makes sense--on AA flights miles will be earned (for basic members) at EQD*5=RDM.

Although it has interesting implications*, it's so shockingly simple I'm surprised I didn't see it coming.

*During the 5.5 weeks where I fretted about the content of the announcement I was thinking about it with respect to EQD/EQM. AA has told us that for any given status we'll need a minimum (aggregate) of 0.12 EQD/EQM to qualify for status. For all partner/fare class combinations, we can calculate EQD/EQM** for any ticket. As far as I can tell, almost all partner fares earn more than 0.12 EQD/EQM. The exceptions are deep-discount coach fares that earn 25% RDM (0.1), and discount I-class business fares on JL. Deep-discount coach on JL earns exactly 0.12. For me (and I suspect some other FTers), I fly a fair bit for work. It's all domestic and cheapest economy. My fares will rarely come close to 0.12, so if I am trying to hit 12k EQD around the same time as 100k EQM, I'd need fares with higher EQD/EQM ratios such as partner premium economy and business class.

**It is unclear how minimum mileage guarantee will apply. If I had to guess, I'd guess they'll top EQM up by segment to 500 before applying percentages to it, the way they do now. But EQD will likely be based on a percentage of actual flight miles times percentage. So short segments at low fares on partners (such as T and R fares on AS) will produce almost no EQD.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Can we assume the elite RDM bonus is no longer in effect as of next month too?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Shareholder
For AA-ticketed flights yes; for flights ticketed on oneworld partners, not necessarily. Delta awards elite bonuses on most of their partners' tickets and UA does for some partners' so hopefully AA will too.

This thread is on EQDs; see this thread for discussion on EQMs and RDMs: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ug-2016-a.html
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by Shareholder
In my post in the "discuss the changes" thread, I made the guess that since RDM/EQD is pegged at 5 to 1, that elites would receive 7/8/9/11 to 1 as they do with AA flights. That equates to bonuses of 40/60/80/120% for Gold/Plat/PlatPro/ExPlat, ignoring any changes in RDM accrual rates. That's an improvement for Gold and EXP and a reduction for Plat. AA's 100% RDM bonus for Plat has always been pretty generous compared to competitors. And, well, these changes seem designed to align AA with its competitors.

Anything is possible, of course, but now we have a piece of data to suggest that this will be the case.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ACBLtd
In my post in the "discuss the changes" thread, I made the guess that since RDM/EQD is pegged at 5 to 1, that elites would receive 7/8/9/11 to 1 as they do with AA flights. That equates to bonuses of 40/60/80/120% for Gold/Plat/PlatPro/ExPlat, ignoring any changes in RDM accrual rates. That's an improvement for Gold and EXP and a reduction for Plat. AA's 100% RDM bonus for Plat has always been pretty generous compared to competitors. And, well, these changes seem designed to align AA with its competitors.

Anything is possible, of course, but now we have a piece of data to suggest that this will be the case.
What AA has said is that the RDM elite status bonus for partner-marketed flights will be as before; that is, 25% for Gold and 100% for Plat and ExPlat. The introduction of PlatPro might lead to an adjustment for 2017, but I suspect 25/50/75/100 is more likely than your guess.

But this is the EQD thread, so we're off-topic.

ETA: Now that this has resurfaced in a new thread, let the record show the upshot: 1) What AA said to me was ... um ... untrue; 2) ACBLtd called it correctly.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Aug 20, 2016 at 2:47 pm Reason: Update with newer info
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I think all the benefits people mention are good and everybody values one benefit of EXP more than another. I mean, some really like the F lounge access, some value SWU's the most etc. I do like all those things and I could deal with the RDM reductions, SWU reductions but the $12K spend requirement negates those benefits, for my personal travel budget anyways. We actually do purchase a good deal of cheap F and J fares and count on upgrading the other times if the biz class fares are out of reach. If it was $12K all in including OW then maybe....but all on AA marketed flights is a tough one for us.

I get the need to thin the heard and cut back on the very generous SWU allotment but when traveling on my own dime......the benefits dont justify trying harder for us anymore.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mcgahat
...but the $12K spend requirement negates those benefits, for my personal travel budget anyways. We actually do purchase a good deal of cheap F and J fares and count on upgrading the other times if the biz class fares are out of reach. If it was $12K all in including OW then maybe....but all on AA marketed flights is a tough one for us. .
This is really for a different thread, but:

If by "OW" you mean oneworld partner marketed flights - you are aware that those do count towards the spend requirement right?

It's not based on fare cost for OneWorld partner flights, but rather is a percentage based calculation of distance flown, based on the fare class purchased. Suggest you take a look at the following thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2017-a.html
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bse118

If by "OW" you mean oneworld partner marketed flights - you are aware that those do count towards the spend requirement right?

It's not based on fare cost for OneWorld partner flights, but rather is a percentage based calculation of distance flown, based on the fare class purchased. Suggest you take a look at the following thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2017-a.html
Fly CX in PE to go to Australia from the US. A great way to run up the EQM and EQD next year.

You can get close to 40,000 EQM and over $5000 of "simulated" EQD for about $3000.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by bse118

Thanks. Looks like I can break out my old Texas Instruments Scientific Calculator and see how this works our for me.....
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
EQD for a JL-coded domestic flight connecting to an international flight?

Anyone know which table applies for the EQD earned for a JL-coded domestic flight connecting to an international flight?

I am guessing that it is categorised as international?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:27 pm

Anyone know how the EQD's apply for a changed flight ?
I book a $500 flight, a few weeks later I need to change the dates, that results in a higher fare of $800.
Do my EQD's change from $500 to $800 ? I would think so but looking for validation here.
I'm sure the change fee is not part of the equation at all in this case.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by bh9197
Anyone know how the EQD's apply for a changed flight ?
I book a $500 flight, a few weeks later I need to change the dates, that results in a higher fare of $800.
Do my EQD's change from $500 to $800 ? I would think so but looking for validation here.
I'm sure the change fee is not part of the equation at all in this case.
Yes. Assuming an AA marketed and operated flight, credit is based on the fare as flown, after deducting the taxes.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Has anyone figured out how tickets issued on non-AA stock will be treated?

For example, if I book an AA marketed and operated flight on non-AA stock, will AA know how much I've spent on the ticket? Or will they be forced to use the "percentage of distance" metric?

And the converse question, if I book a BA marketed and operated flight on AA stock, will AA go by the "percentage of distance" metric as the chart states, or will they go by the price paid, since they have the full data?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA marketed will always credit as per the BA earnings table

For an AA marketed and operated flight sold by another airline, I would think that the answer will be that it depends. Depending on what sort of fare it is will likely make a difference
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Is the EQD earning calculation on partner airlines still up in the air?

Or has there been an announcement which I've now just shown myself to be incapable of finding? 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.