Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Acid
$300 total. It was a LHR-JFK-BOM ticket.
Do you not mean JFK-LHR-BOM?

If this was r/t ticket , I would expect the taxes in economy to be about $161

If the total fare was $700, that would give about $539 of eligible earnings - or about $270 each way

If a one way ticket, then the tax component should be about $48

( assuming no stopover in London )

$300 total earning on a $700 ticket JFK-BOM sounds incorrect
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by caburrito
For AA Vacations special fares, if you have a mixture of D/I for the trip, how do they calculate EQD? For example, the long haul route is D and the short haul route is I.
Each segment will earn whatever the Special Fares table says you should earn for the distance and fare class for that segment.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Did you pay the fare difference between economy and 1st class or did you pay a reduced upgrade fee?

If the former, then the ticket should have been reissued and credited based on the total fare paid
Thanks. I paid the fare difference between 1st class and economy AFAIK. The ticket was re-issued in "I" fare class. Your explanation is what I thought should happen.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Do you not mean JFK-LHR-BOM?

If this was r/t ticket , I would expect the taxes in economy to be about $161

If the total fare was $700, that would give about $539 of eligible earnings - or about $270 each way

If a one way ticket, then the tax component should be about $48

( assuming no stopover in London )

$300 total earning on a $700 ticket JFK-BOM sounds incorrect
It was a LHR-JFK-BOM(via LHR in transit) ticket with SWU's used on the AA operated legs. Assuming 92 was luxury tax - that's still ~$602. Regardless, the point I was making is - its not clear how to allocate the 'fare' to each leg. I credited the JFK-LHR-BOM to AA due to the transatlantic bonus promo (which I received as ticket was re-issued once SWU cleared).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I assume the "price" AA used for its segments was whatever mysterious prices it assigned to them, not the whole fare? That would be quite a windfall if the latter.
You are correct. It was just a small portion of the total fare that was credited for the AA segments.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Upfare fare differene didn't post to EQD

AAdvantage customer service responded today and posted the correct EQD amount to my account for the fare difference I paid to upfare. I'll be watching this like a hawk moving forward, but hope they do it right in the future.

Originally Posted by tucsnaz
Earlier this month I decided to upfare my ticket from Y to F at the ticket counter.

When the EQDs posted to account it was only for the base fare of the Y ticket. Today when I called AAdvantage Customer Service the first person I spoke to informed me only the original base fare qualified for EQD. She directed me to the Q&A section below on AA.com and compared it to a seat purchase fee.

Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges.

I pressed on and asked to speak to a supervisor who said she would send it for review. IMHO the above section doesn't make it clear that upfaring won't earn additional EQD. This wasn't a fee, I paid additional $$ to buy a more expensive ticket.

Does anyone else have experience with this?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Bump Vouchers and EQD?

I have an upcoming flight that looks like it might need volunteers. I'm happy to take a voucher and a later flight. Does anyone have experience with EQD earning when using a bump voucher to pay for a flight? I suspect that it would be just like paying cash, IOW you'd earn the full EQD that goes with the cash ticket price, but I'd like to be certain.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Feb 5, 2017 at 9:07 am
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I have an upcoming flight that looks like it might need volunteers. I'm happy to take a voucher and a later flight. Does anyone have experience with EQD earning when using a bump voucher to pay for a flight? I suspect that it would be just like paying cash, IOW you'd earn the full EQD that goes with the cash ticket price, but I'd like to be certain.
EQD's are based on the fare & carrier imposed fees, but how you actually pay for the ticket doesn't matter (credit card, voucher, gift card, etc.).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:26 am

EQD earning on JAL

Hi All: I have spent some time looking through the forum and I want to make sure I am understanding EQD earning for partner travel correctly.

I am about to purchase a series of flights on expedia with JAL (BOS-NRT-MNL-BOS) that comes in at $1,600. The booking code is "V" and the total mileage for the trip, according the to the Expedia calculation, is 17,160. On aa.com "V" class earns 50% base miles and 10% EQDs per mile flown.

Am I correct to assume that I would earn 8,580 aa miles and $1,716 EQDs for the itinerary? In other words -- the EQDs earned on partner travel is not tied to the actual fare of the ticket but, rather, to the miles flown?

Thank you for your help with this! I spoke to 3 agents at AA today and none of them were able to offer clear guidance.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by riotpoofcity
Hi All: I have spent some time looking through the forum and I want to make sure I am understanding EQD earning for partner travel correctly.

I am about to purchase a series of flights on expedia with JAL (BOS-NRT-MNL-BOS) that comes in at $1,600. The booking code is "V" and the total mileage for the trip, according the to the Expedia calculation, is 17,160. On aa.com "V" class earns 50% base miles and 10% EQDs per mile flown.

Am I correct to assume that I would earn 8,580 aa miles and $1,716 EQDs for the itinerary? In other words -- the EQDs earned on partner travel is not tied to the actual fare of the ticket but, rather, to the miles flown?

Thank you for your help with this! I spoke to 3 agents at AA today and none of them were able to offer clear guidance.
Who is the "marketing" carrier? That is, do you flights say "AA..." or "JL..."? That determines whether you should look at the AA page (fare-based) or the JL page (distance based).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:37 pm

Who is the "marketing" carrier? That is, do you flights say "AA..." or "JL..."? That determines whether you should look at the AA page (fare-based) or the JL page (distance based).
JL
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by riotpoofcity
JL
The table you need to check is indeed the one at https://www.americanairlines.com.au/...n-airlines.jsp

V class earns 50% of distance in base award miles, 25% of distance in qualifying miles and 10% of distance for Qualifying Dollars

If total distance is 17,160 miles, you will earn
8,580 award miles
4,290 EQMs
1,716 EQDs

You will come out slightly ahead of an AA flight at same price on EQDs (1716 vs 1600) and base award miles (8580 vs 1600), but lower on EQMs at 4,290 vs 8580
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:01 pm

Hello, do I understand this correctly? If I take an AA coded flight that is operated by another airline, the AA fare-based system is still applied?

I have the choice between an AA flight (operated by AA) and an AA flight (operated by BA) to the same destination. SJC to AMS.

The BA flights have the better flight times and duration. As this would be business class flights I assumed that the AA flights result in more miles and EQDs and I should go with the longer duration flights.

My apologize if this is an obvious question.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by vitgor
Hello, do I understand this correctly? If I take an AA coded flight that is operated by another airline, the AA fare-based system is still applied?
Yes - unless something goies screwy and it applies the AA distance based earning
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:19 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
EQD accrual

I was booked JFK-LAS-JFK (all non-stops). Due to a snow storm in NYC, JFK-LAS was cancelled and rebooked LGA-ORD-LAS (these 2 segments are listed as W class).
All segments (for EQD computation) show as FARE based, except ORD-LAS which is listed as "method: distance--data unavailable"; I'm not complaining, but why did this happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.