Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) on AA and partner airlines
Minimum Spend" requirement for each status tier began 1 Jan 2017

In addition to the required EQM or EQS (same as 2016) to earn status in 2017 and onward one must also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

EQDs will be awarded based on:
  • Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights
  • Flights marketed by oneworldŽ carriers, "Special Fares" such as some AA Vacations flights, Thank You Points purchased fares, etc. earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased

With the addition of EQDs, the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status has been eliminated.
NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. "select flights" included in AAVacations packages), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

2019 Status qualification tiers and requirements: link
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

aa.com: aa.com is updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.

Another impact of EQD is on upgrade priority within status tiers instead of time of upgrade request (FYI only, not discussion here):

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

The way your upgrade request is prioritized changed in 2017. You’ll be listed according to the type of upgrade, by your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months. The date of upgrade request will no longer be used except to break ties not resolved by higher priority levels. Applies both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM and EQD as reflected on charts on aa.com.

FAQ

Q. How will AA EQD be calculated?

Yes: Base fare plus carrier imposed fees, e.g. YQ etc. (Status buyup fees will count.)

No: Taxes, government or airport imposed fees, e.g. PSC, APD, TSA, etc. and ancillary fees (see below)

Q. How will flights on other oneworld carriers, AS, and "Special Fares" qualify for EQD?

Partner earning tables are here and special fare table here on aa.com.

Q. Will checked bag fees, seat purchases, LFBU and 500-mile upgrades, buy miles, or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs? (AA FAQ)

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked (or overweight) baggage fees, Admirals ClubŽ memberships (or passes), Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Status buyup fees will count, however.)

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and base miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete segment marketed as AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

Links

Link to FT: JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com (including FAQ).

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by britz
I hope so... This is what I see when I click "Print receipt" from the reservation on AA.

Fare Amount
Adult. 1 × $947.00 USD
$947.00 USD

AAdvantageŽ Benefits
Main Cabin Extra $0.00 USD
Priority AccessSM $0.00 USD

Taxes & Carrier-Imposed Fees
Taxes $473.26 USD
Carrier-Imposed Fees $0.00 USD

Flight Subtotal
$1,420.26 USD
You're not the first to report receipts that are this screwed up or even worse. That's why I snicker when AA or anyone else tells me "just print the receipt, and here's how ...", because there's a good chance it'll be wrong.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I took AA6559 (S Fare) CDG-LHR (BA metal) the other day and my account says
(By the way I am EXP.)

AA 6559 Economy (S)
Method: Distance - data unavailable

Elite Qualifying
EQM: 500
EQS: 1
EQD: 33

Award Miles
Base Miles 162
Bonus Miles: 195
Total: 357

How did I get the EQD: 33 and the base miles: 162? I'm confused how these are calculated since the flight is a code-shared flight.
It doesn't matter that it was BA metal... the AA flight number means you accrue according to AA tables. CDG-LHR is 216 miles one-way according to Great Circle Mapper. S booking code on the "special fare - data unavailable" is 15% EQD (216 x .15 = 32.4 rounded up to 33) and 75% RDM (216 x .75 = 162).
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by uclachef
It doesn't matter that it was BA metal... the AA flight number means you accrue according to AA tables. CDG-LHR is 216 miles one-way according to Great Circle Mapper. S booking code on the "special fare - data unavailable" is 15% EQD (216 x .15 = 32.4 rounded up to 33) and 75% RDM (216 x .75 = 162).
According to the chart S fare booking code is 10% EQD and 50% RDM.
That's why I'm confused...besides this is not special fare. I just purchased the ticket at aa.com...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
According to the chart S fare booking code is 10% EQD and 50% RDM.
That's why I'm confused...besides this is not special fare. I just purchased the ticket at aa.com...
Scroll down... there are two versions of the special fares chart. One when fare data information is available and one when the data is unavailable. You got the bottom table for that flight - "data unavailable". Certain booking methods will usually use the top special fare table, but it's entirely possible any fare could use the bottom one. It's unclear what triggers this, but from what I've read and experienced, it's usually something unusual with the booking such as manual changes to the flight or simply a glitch and the necessary information didn't get processed by AA's system.

Last edited by uclachef; Apr 6, 2017 at 8:04 am Reason: Clarification
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Scroll down... there are two versions of the special fares chart. One when fare data information is available and one when the data is unavailable. You got the bottom table for that flight - "data unavailable". Certain booking methods will usually use the top special fare table, but it's entirely possible any fare could use the bottom one. It's unclear what triggers this, but from what I've read and experienced, it's usually something unusual with the booking such as manual changes to the flight or simply a glitch and the necessary information didn't get processed by AA's system.
^

If I'm close to the next elite level at the end of year, this difference could be crucial...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
All a reasonable characterization, except that ...

1) saying that the use of the first table means "fare data is available" is not. I believe that in some of the specific situations listed for the first table, fare data is in fact not available.

2) noting specifically [u]manual[/b] changes is dubious. I don't think we've seen any automatic changes that weren't subsequently manually changed, so we can't imply that solely-automatic would have been treated differently.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Trying to figure out how the special fare EQD was calculated for this trip.

PVD-CLT-CHS (Class V)
CHS-CLT-PVD (Class S)

Miles 683+168= 851
168 + 683 = 851

so my understanding is that EQDS would be

851 * .20 = 170.2
+851 * .15 = 127.65

or 297.85

AA has given me 215 EQDs for this trip.

Last edited by ellinj; Apr 7, 2017 at 10:12 am
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ellinj
Trying to figure out how the special fare EQD was calculated for this trip.

PVD-CLT-CHS (Class V)
CHS-CLT-PVD (Class S)

Miles 683+168= 851
168 + 683 = 851

so my understanding is that EQDS would be

851 * .20 = 170.2
+851 * .15 = 127.65

or 297.85

AA has given me 215 EQDs for this trip.

If credited distance, then seems that it was a special fare. For special fares V is 15% and S is 10%

683 * .10 = 69
168 * .10 = 17
168 * .15 = 26
683 * .15 = 103

total 215

The table where the earnings listed are 20% and 15% , is for where the fare was unavailable . The special fares table is different. What type of ticket was it?

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 7, 2017 at 12:07 pm
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

The table where the earnings listed are 20% and 15% , is for where the fare was unavailable . The special fares table is different. What type of ticket was it?
It was booked via Citi Thankyou points/cash
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
All a reasonable characterization, except that ...

1) saying that the use of the first table means "fare data is available" is not. I believe that in some of the specific situations listed for the first table, fare data is in fact not available.

2) noting specifically manual changes is dubious. I don't think we've seen any automatic changes that weren't subsequently manually changed, so we can't imply that solely-automatic would have been treated differently.

#1 Yes, you are right. Of the two special fares tables, the top one isn't contingent on fare data being available. It is simply used in the circumstances described in the list whether fare data is available or not.

#2 I guess my point is, something causes the data to become "unavailable" that results in the bottom special fare table being used. I don't think anyone here has definitively identified when this will happen or what types of transactions will cause the fare data to become unavailable. I believe, anecdotally, that unusual changes to a PNR are more likely to cause this. My personal example of a "manual change" was this: My flight's schedule changed, so I called in to switch my flight. The original inventory wasn't available on the new flight so I was switched to next available booking code. It was an AAVacations bulk ticket to begin with.

My outbound flights (the ones with the schedule change) used the bottom special fares table. My inbound flights used the top special fares table (due to AAV). I don't know why, but it makes sense that the bottom special fares had to do with the reissued ticket under the different inventory.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

#2 I guess my point is, something causes the data to become "unavailable" that results in the bottom special fare table being used. I don't think anyone here has definitively identified when this will happen or what types of transactions will cause the fare data to become unavailable. I believe, anecdotally, that unusual changes to a PNR are more likely to cause this.
I would also believe, as has been suggested before, is that AA is monitoring the process and attempting to fix different situations which should credit by fare but are crediting by distance

I suspect that as it goes, there will be less cases of distance credit
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:15 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would also believe, as has been suggested before, is that AA is monitoring the process and attempting to fix different situations which should credit by fare but are crediting by distance

I suspect that as it goes, there will be less cases of distance credit
And vice-versa, I would hope as well. I've already had a case where an AAV package (where they certainly have the fare data) posted by fare and I had to have them manually change this to distance.

Cheers.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Just a couple more data points and perhaps some tactical thoughts...

I flew COU-DFW-HKG rt a while back and applied SWUs both ways. One of them apparently caused the distance calculation, but the other didn't. No idea why, but it fits with what others are saying...various things that cause reticketing might trigger this, but might not.

Then more recently I had a flight change due to weather; instead of flying COU-DFW I had them send me STL-DFW (they wanted to send me the next day from COU, which was kinda funny given my original itinerary had me flying in/out the same day for a half-day meeting) instead. That one posted based on distance as well.

The HKG change was hugely beneficial, as I got the ticket for pretty cheap (~$750 rt) and it was quite a long distance. The DFW one, not so much...last minute ticket out of a regional airport for a <500 mile flight cost me something like $500.

But here's the nice part: given that it wasn't hard to establish what the fare was, I just called them and asked them to credit it properly, and they did. And obviously, I never mentioned anything about the HKG flight.

So...the point here is that if you're paying attention you can get these fixed when they're in AA's favor and leave them wrong when they're in your favor. This could be pretty beneficial, particularly for those who tend to have a lot of reticketing activity.

Now if we could just pin down causes with a bit more precision, and maybe even figure out some reliable ways to trigger......
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU

So...the point here is that if you're paying attention you can get these fixed when they're in AA's favor and leave them wrong when they're in your favor. This could be pretty beneficial, particularly for those who tend to have a lot of reticketing activity.
One thing to be very careful about here, though (and I read about something like this in another thread) is that they could well come back later and "re-process" the mistakes the right way. I would not count on mistakes for crossing a qualification boundary as one would have no recourse if things were to get adjusted to correct the mistake.

Cheers.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
You really think they'd do that after the fact? I can see them working to fix the glitches that cause them to be calculated wrong, but going back retroactively and dropping people's EQ[x] seems pretty extreme. You're certainly a lot more experienced in this game than me...I'll be keeping an eye out for any revisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.