Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Award changes after 21 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not

Award prices in miles are changing effective 22 Mar 2016. Many members have been asking which changes can be made on pre-existing awards on or after 22 Mar 2016 without requiring miles redeposit and issuance of new awards at the new prices - and we finally have some answers as given by the AA spokesperson through a timely article by Gary Leff and a char set c/o Smiley90 from here

Mile changes in absolute numbers (k)

Mile changes in percentage

First award change chart as of 22 Mar c/o Gary Leff

NOTE: 22 March 2026, several agents are saying what Gary Leff's quoted Ms. Nedbal stated, or parts of it, are not being honored.

According to Gary Leff (View from the Wing, Boarding Area, 31 Jan 2016), Laura Nedbal, spokesperson for AA, said:

Gary: "I sought further clarification and learned:
  • You can change date and time without repricing the award, while keeping airlines and routing constant.

• You can change routing without repricing the award, while keeping the airlines constant, with a few caveats. Basically you cannot break the fare. You cannot add a stopover. You’re going to have to stick with a legal routing for the primary carrier on the itinerary.

• You can not change Origin or Destination, even within the same region, without causing reissue at the current award rates.

• You cannot change award types, which means you can’t go from American only to flying partners. You can’t go from extra mileage award to saver award without a redeposit of miles and re-issue."
Q. Can I change Origin or Destination within the same region, as permitted normally?

This will require re-issue at the new rates.

Q. What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."

Q. What if I want to change from a oneworld airline such as QR to a non-oneworld partner such as EY, but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change the award type (AAnytime to MileSAAver, MileSAAver to reduced miles, etc.), but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change class of service and keep everything else the same?

Q. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my pre-22 Mar award booking?

Many/most flyers have reported no issues with multiple changes for pre-22 Mar award bookings. Some AA EP agents and at least one supervisor have stated the rule is only ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE will be allowed to keep the award at the pre-22 March level. A second or subsequent voluntary change will require conversion to the new chart and "paying" more miles.

Q. What would it cost me to redeposit an award? Two or more awards?

Redepositing an award costs $150 (plus $25 for each other award secured with miles from the same account). These redeposit fees are waived if the account is that of an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member. Link to FT thread: AA award reinstatement / miles redeposit fees, issues, questions (consolidated)

If they are separate awards on different PNRs they may require $150 each.

Q. If I purchase an award by 22 March, how far out can I change the award (within the parameters given)?

An award must be used within one year of issue.

NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by arfaczar
Haven't booked an infant in-lap seat in a while, but is it necessary to book those as RT? I would have thought that you could have tagged your daughter onto 2 OWs just as easily.
Adding an infant to an international trip costs 10% of the associated adult fare. I assume that a RT is much cheaper than 2 OW's, thus making adding an infant to a RT booking much cheaper (just booked a first class award including an infant yesterday, let me know if anyone wants my flight details so you can avoid those flights ).

Edit: Mach81 was quicker...
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gnargel
Adding an infant to an international trip costs 10% of the associated adult fare. I assume that a RT is much cheaper than 2 OW's, thus making adding an infant to a RT booking much cheaper (just booked a first class award including an infant yesterday, let me know if anyone wants my flight details so you can avoid those flights ).

how did you find F availability for a RT?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by MACH81
how did you find F availability for a RT?
By not wanting to depart from the US

F availability from NRT to CGK is pretty much wide open (mileage required does not change after March 22)
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
By not wanting to depart from the US

F availability from NRT to CGK is pretty much wide open (mileage required does not change after March 22)
Nice! Enjoy Japan

Last edited by MACH81; Mar 7, 2016 at 3:46 pm
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:59 pm
formerly RZachSmith

If I book CX J LAX-HKG and CX F HKG-BKK this should price as an F award at 67,500, correct?

Does this mean that if LAX-HGK opened up in F close in to departure (post 3/22), I would be able to "upgrade" without reissue/reprice because it's already an F ticket? It would be a bit risky, but potentially worthwhile considering the math involved.

I scanned this thread and hadn't seen this possibility mentioned but sorry if it's already been covered.

Last edited by AirJam389; Mar 7, 2016 at 3:59 pm Reason: dyslexia
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:07 pm

I'm wondering whether I can book it as two one ways or even better put 2 ow on hold and then issue it as a RT. That would be ideal.

Also, can multiple changes be made before the outbound?

Let's say I book now for next winter and then close to my departure (this year) date I'm able to change the outbound a week before departure, can I call in 2 days before departure to change the inbound (I'm planning to stay about 6-8 nights and I'm not sure how close to dept availability will pop up).

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Good news! I've never really moved awards out/around like that, good to hear that it-- hopefully-- will hold for the "jump over" the devaluation date. ^
How can we upgrade in old rate post March 22?

While the upfare worked to extend the existing ticket's life beyond 12 months, shouldn't upfare after Mar 22 would be repriced on the new chart?
If it would be repriced, then what is the advantage of rolling the ticket?
Unless you have reason(s) to believe it would not and that was the scenario of UA's devaluation. UA did not reprice it on new chart. Instead upfare was using the old chart.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 8, 2016 at 5:22 pm
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:30 pm

Reading this post it is my understanding that say if I book CX F JFK-HKG-SYD now (pre changes) at a later date than my desire schedule and then change it post March 22.

1)It will be fine if its all in CX or oneworld partner flights no extra miles needed even if i add an extra sector (ie. JFK-NRT-HKG-SYD)

2)If I change to an earlier date that best suit my schedule it wont triger additional miles either

3)If I end up with 1 F and 1 J and I was charged the original miles for a F award I should be fine

Unrelated questions, are stopover in AA allowed in North America (Canada/US) say JFK-(stopover in YVR)-HKG-SYD
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jkuok
Reading this post it is my understanding that say if I book CX F JFK-HKG-SYD now (pre changes) at a later date than my desire schedule and then change it post March 22.

1)It will be fine if its all in CX or oneworld partner flights no extra miles needed even if i add an extra sector (ie. JFK-NRT-HKG-SYD)

2)If I change to an earlier date that best suit my schedule it wont triger additional miles either

3)If I end up with 1 F and 1 J and I was charged the original miles for a F award I should be fine

Unrelated questions, are stopover in AA allowed in North America (Canada/US) say JFK-(stopover in YVR)-HKG-SYD
1, 2, 3 should all be fine with no mileage increase, but note that for (1) routing change your new routing should confirm to the governing carrier's fare.

Stopovers are allowed in the sense that you can pay extra to have an extra award for it. In other words, there are no free included stopover.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
1, 2, 3 should all be fine with no mileage increase, but note that for (1) routing change your new routing should confirm to the governing carrier's fare.

Stopovers are allowed in the sense that you can pay extra to have an extra award for it. In other words, there are no free included stopover.
What do you mean by stopovers are allowed but I have to pay extra? You mean as in fees and taxes for stopover YVR as per my example?

For (1) governing carrier's fare or charges? I thought this is about redemption so again fees and taxes?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:32 pm

What do you mean by stopovers are allowed but I have to pay extra? You mean as in fees and taxes for stopover YVR as per my example?

For (1) governing carrier's fare or charges? I thought this is about redemption so again fees and taxes?
Pay extra as in an extra mileage award. To put another way, there are no free stopover, but you can redeem an award for that one-way separately onto the reservation.

Fare as in routing rules, which may be fare based or MPM based. AA only allows certain permissible routings on redemption, depending on the primary carrier. A full explanation is too much for a single post, but you should check the regular AA mileage redemption thread on what this means.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you realize JFK-HKG-SYD requires TWO awards?
In order to be on a single award you are not allowed to transit Asia from US to Australia.
The itinerary you have in mind would be North America-Asia2 award, Asia2-Australia award. You will pay the total of the 2 awards cost added together.

Date change does not cause repricing.

Changing it to JFK-NRT-HKG-SYD would remain the same 2 awards - North America to Asia 2 via Asia 1 is allowed, that is your JFK-NRT-HKG, and the routing should work. HKG-SYD the Asia2 to Australia award.

If you have paid F but took voluntary downgrade to J, return to F does not cause repricing.

AA does not allow ANY stopover on Any award.

If you want to have a stopover at YVR, you now have THREE awards

North America award, North America to Asia 2 award, Asia 2 to Australia award.

If you are going to pay MULTIPLE awards, you might as well think about where you would like to have your stopovers as you would be paying for that anyway.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I guess this thread answers most of my question from another thread (if I understand correctly), but I will ask them here again, hoping someone can clarify:

I have 1 ticket booked as TPE-NRT-LAX / Business+First and another 1 ticket booked as TPE-NRT-LAX / Economy+First on consecutive dates.

1. Can I make changes to the TPE-NRT-LAX ticket if Business becomes available on TPE-NRT sector after it's booked, regardless the 3/22 date? It's currently at voluntary downgrade, would there be any fees associated with the change?

2. I believe regardless the TPE-NRT sector's cabin class, the award is priced as First cause NRT-LAX is First, so would I be allowed to change the dates (hoping to get two on the same dates) after 3/22? If no re-deposit is required, I am assuming there won't be additional fees for the change?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
great thread. answered the question that was bugging me
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:39 am

Need some help here and a little confused as to my options.

Currently I'm booked for Apr 2016 for

BKK-HKG(CX)-PVG(CX)-ORD(AA) in F

I was hoping to change this flight to

BKK-HKG-ORD in CX F
or
BKK-HKG-NRT-ORD in JAL F
when/if it comes available

Essentially trying to change my TPAC from AA to JL or CX? Will it price ok when i try to make the change in April?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.