Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Award changes after 21 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not

Award prices in miles are changing effective 22 Mar 2016. Many members have been asking which changes can be made on pre-existing awards on or after 22 Mar 2016 without requiring miles redeposit and issuance of new awards at the new prices - and we finally have some answers as given by the AA spokesperson through a timely article by Gary Leff and a char set c/o Smiley90 from here

Mile changes in absolute numbers (k)

Mile changes in percentage

First award change chart as of 22 Mar c/o Gary Leff

NOTE: 22 March 2026, several agents are saying what Gary Leff's quoted Ms. Nedbal stated, or parts of it, are not being honored.

According to Gary Leff (View from the Wing, Boarding Area, 31 Jan 2016), Laura Nedbal, spokesperson for AA, said:

Gary: "I sought further clarification and learned:
  • You can change date and time without repricing the award, while keeping airlines and routing constant.

• You can change routing without repricing the award, while keeping the airlines constant, with a few caveats. Basically you cannot break the fare. You cannot add a stopover. You’re going to have to stick with a legal routing for the primary carrier on the itinerary.

• You can not change Origin or Destination, even within the same region, without causing reissue at the current award rates.

• You cannot change award types, which means you can’t go from American only to flying partners. You can’t go from extra mileage award to saver award without a redeposit of miles and re-issue."
Q. Can I change Origin or Destination within the same region, as permitted normally?

This will require re-issue at the new rates.

Q. What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."

Q. What if I want to change from a oneworld airline such as QR to a non-oneworld partner such as EY, but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change the award type (AAnytime to MileSAAver, MileSAAver to reduced miles, etc.), but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change class of service and keep everything else the same?

Q. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my pre-22 Mar award booking?

Many/most flyers have reported no issues with multiple changes for pre-22 Mar award bookings. Some AA EP agents and at least one supervisor have stated the rule is only ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE will be allowed to keep the award at the pre-22 March level. A second or subsequent voluntary change will require conversion to the new chart and "paying" more miles.

Q. What would it cost me to redeposit an award? Two or more awards?

Redepositing an award costs $150 (plus $25 for each other award secured with miles from the same account). These redeposit fees are waived if the account is that of an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member. Link to FT thread: AA award reinstatement / miles redeposit fees, issues, questions (consolidated)

If they are separate awards on different PNRs they may require $150 each.

Q. If I purchase an award by 22 March, how far out can I change the award (within the parameters given)?

An award must be used within one year of issue.

NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
OK. But if I change the date of an award, but keep everything else (class, routing) the same, that's not a new ticket? The miles aren't redeposited/re-withdrawn?
Correct.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. But if I change the date of an award, but keep everything else (class, routing) the same, that's not a new ticket? The miles aren't redeposited/re-withdrawn?
A new ticket does not always require redeposited/re-withdrawn miles.

Date change definitely requires new ticket but does not need to touch the miles.

Basically any change that is NOT free (except the upfare in that case AA waived the fee), would require redeposit miles and re-withdraw miles. Hence it will be at the new level.

Changes that is currently free, do not require redeposit hence there is no need to reprice the award.

Your endeavor on Mid-2017 travel under pre-devaluation level is a waste of time. Not going to happen no matter which angle you try to tackle it.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:22 pm
Suspended

There's a shade of grey that is often misunderstood/overlooked.

There is "reissue" and then there is "Reinstate and reclaim"-- they are not the same.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
All of this info is golden! Just to make sure I understand correctly..

If I book an F award with only one segment in F and the rest is voluntarily downgraded to J (or Y ), if F opens up after the March deval I can "upgrade" to F without incurring a redeposit and increased price.

However, I cannot book an entire itinerary in J using an F award, with the hopes that F will open up later and not incur a reprice?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
All of this info is golden! Just to make sure I understand correctly..

If I book an F award with only one segment in F and the rest is voluntarily downgraded to J (or Y ), if F opens up after the March deval I can "upgrade" to F without incurring a redeposit and increased price...
Keep in mind, none of this has been announced officially, it's members' best guesses.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
There's a shade of grey that is often misunderstood/overlooked.

There is "reissue" and then there is "Reinstate and reclaim"-- they are not the same.
Is there a difference between "reissue" and "reinstate and reclaim" in terms of repricing at new levels? For example, changing from an IB/BA award to an all-AA award (in the same class of service) would be a "reinstate and reclaim" but not a reissue (if my understanding is correct). If such a change occurred after 3/22/2016, would the award be repriced at the new award levels?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Is there a difference between "reissue" and "reinstate and reclaim" in terms of repricing at new levels? For example, changing from an IB/BA award to an all-AA award (in the same class of service) would be a "reinstate and reclaim" but not a reissue (if my understanding is correct). If such a change occurred after 3/22/2016, would the award be repriced at the new award levels?
You can see some distinctions between the 2 processes in this thread:
http://travelingbetter.vbulletin.net...mp;postcount=1

However, as to what is to be with the new redemption levels and how these processes are handled on pre-change-issued-awards, I'd say "jury is out"-- to varying degrees-- except on date change which I'd say is 100% guaranteed.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
- except on date change which I'd say is 100% guaranteed.
The blogger TPG wrote that he confirmed with AA that date changes would not have the increased rates.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:19 pm
Suspended

The blogger TPG wrote that he confirmed with AA that date changes would not have the increased rates.
There's really zero question on that one.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Free Agent
Unbelievably, I actually have a situation where the new award chart will be better for an itin I am considering. However, the availability is circa now, so I am wondering if AA will reprice it lower for me upon implementing the new chart on March 22 if I ask nicely.

For clarity, it will be a Nov 2016 roundtrip award on LAN from the US going through LIM (SA1) to Bolivia (SA2). Current chart, that's 4 one way awards for 90K in J and Y. New chart, Bolivia moves to SA1, so it becomes 2 one way awards in J for 60K.

Thoughts on stated or likely AA policy on repricing lower without changing dates, for which availability is unlikely by March 22?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jigri2003
Unbelievably, I actually have a situation where the new award chart will be better for an itin I am considering. However, the availability is circa now, so I am wondering if AA will reprice it lower for me upon implementing the new chart on March 22 if I ask nicely.

For clarity, it will be a Nov 2016 roundtrip award on LAN from the US going through LIM (SA1) to Bolivia (SA2). Current chart, that's 4 one way awards for 90K in J and Y. New chart, Bolivia moves to SA1, so it becomes 2 one way awards in J for 60K.

Thoughts on stated or likely AA policy on repricing lower without changing dates, for which availability is unlikely by March 22?
I would expect that you will, almost certainly, need to cancel the existing award , redeposit the miles ( paying the $150 fee if not holding EP status ) and get a new award issued at the new rate
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I booked a J-J-short F award

after reading threads like this, in the hopes that the first long J will eventually become available in F. The ticket was charged as F with voluntary downgrade on the first segment. I guess I've been assuming that if the first segment then becomes available it can be simply replaced without requiring a re deposit? I started worrying that the entire itinerary would have to show available to be able to make that change.

EDIT: read the traveling better thread linked above. I guess I am vague on which conditions the award space can be held while making a change, in this case J to F on one segment of an award already priced at F

Last edited by fanger; Jan 28, 2016 at 9:04 am
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:33 pm

Unless its a Y award, then you have to worry about the new peak vs non-peak dates.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:10 am

I actually have the exact same question. I was upgrading from J to F a ticket that i booked a few weeks ago and they had to deposit the original miles back into my account and charge me the new award price when I made the change. Then the rep was like I do not have any record of us raising award prices come March 22 !>! man....
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Here's a tangent question--

I booked an award for this upcoming March from BCN-LAX routing through LHR. I paid for the fees with my Citi Premier card to help meet spend requirement for 50K sign-up bonus. If I change my award flight now to another route (but still BCN-LAX on same date), will the fees get refunded and re-charged? Or will I just get refunded or get charged for the difference in fees? If it's a refund/re-charge, I could potentially lose my 50K Premier bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.