Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Award changes after 21 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not

Award prices in miles are changing effective 22 Mar 2016. Many members have been asking which changes can be made on pre-existing awards on or after 22 Mar 2016 without requiring miles redeposit and issuance of new awards at the new prices - and we finally have some answers as given by the AA spokesperson through a timely article by Gary Leff and a char set c/o Smiley90 from here

Mile changes in absolute numbers (k)

Mile changes in percentage

First award change chart as of 22 Mar c/o Gary Leff

NOTE: 22 March 2026, several agents are saying what Gary Leff's quoted Ms. Nedbal stated, or parts of it, are not being honored.

According to Gary Leff (View from the Wing, Boarding Area, 31 Jan 2016), Laura Nedbal, spokesperson for AA, said:

Gary: "I sought further clarification and learned:
  • You can change date and time without repricing the award, while keeping airlines and routing constant.

• You can change routing without repricing the award, while keeping the airlines constant, with a few caveats. Basically you cannot break the fare. You cannot add a stopover. You’re going to have to stick with a legal routing for the primary carrier on the itinerary.

• You can not change Origin or Destination, even within the same region, without causing reissue at the current award rates.

• You cannot change award types, which means you can’t go from American only to flying partners. You can’t go from extra mileage award to saver award without a redeposit of miles and re-issue."
Q. Can I change Origin or Destination within the same region, as permitted normally?

This will require re-issue at the new rates.

Q. What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."

Q. What if I want to change from a oneworld airline such as QR to a non-oneworld partner such as EY, but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change the award type (AAnytime to MileSAAver, MileSAAver to reduced miles, etc.), but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change class of service and keep everything else the same?

Q. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my pre-22 Mar award booking?

Many/most flyers have reported no issues with multiple changes for pre-22 Mar award bookings. Some AA EP agents and at least one supervisor have stated the rule is only ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE will be allowed to keep the award at the pre-22 March level. A second or subsequent voluntary change will require conversion to the new chart and "paying" more miles.

Q. What would it cost me to redeposit an award? Two or more awards?

Redepositing an award costs $150 (plus $25 for each other award secured with miles from the same account). These redeposit fees are waived if the account is that of an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member. Link to FT thread: AA award reinstatement / miles redeposit fees, issues, questions (consolidated)

If they are separate awards on different PNRs they may require $150 each.

Q. If I purchase an award by 22 March, how far out can I change the award (within the parameters given)?

An award must be used within one year of issue.

NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Definitely not.
No fee perhaps, but that doesn't mean they'll be able to get the OP into JAL F if there's no award availability at the time of the change. I'm assuming that's the reason behind hoping for a schedule change or downgrade.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by ismann
No fee perhaps, but that doesn't mean they'll be able to get the OP into JAL F if there's no award availability at the time of the change. I'm assuming that's the reason behind hoping for a schedule change or downgrade.
OP here. I originally booked in JAL J, but just made the change to AA F on 772 last night. I am just hoping something happens so I can move the flight to JAL F. But if I have to pay 17,500/ticket difference to change to JAL... I will do it.

Add: I believe after 3/22, it will all depends on who you be talk to on the phone, some rep/managers can/will override the system, and some will not.

Last edited by teddy25; Feb 5, 2016 at 2:02 pm
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:00 pm

Need advice on an award itinerary HKG-JFK:

- Have a HKG-JFK ticketed in F, but a week before my preferred date
- No F on any CX or JL flights +/- 2 days from my date
- There is a HKG(JL)-HND(JL)-SFO(AA)-JFK routing available in F in between my ticketed date and preferred date, so I'm tempted to change it since it gets me closer to my preferred date. But would this create problems after the Mar 22 date, if/when a CX routing becomes available?

Thanks for any insights.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dustclee
Need advice on an award itinerary HKG-JFK:

- Have a HKG-JFK ticketed in F, but a week before my preferred date
- No F on any CX or JL flights +/- 2 days from my date
- There is a HKG(JL)-HND(JL)-SFO(AA)-JFK routing available in F in between my ticketed date and preferred date, so I'm tempted to change it since it gets me closer to my preferred date. But would this create problems after the Mar 22 date, if/when a CX routing becomes available?

Thanks for any insights.
I guess it will be at AA's discretion to decide if they will honor the former lower rate since you were ticketed before March 22. Call and ask to speak to a supervisor who may know.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
...Call and ask to speak to a supervisor who may know.
They won't.

Dustclee, I would, based on what we know today _not_ make plans based on being able to make that change at this juncture. It's certainly possible, but there is no reliable guidance available internally at this point to give any kind of guarantee-- or even good guess-- when "straddling" the award chart change.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Cathay and EWR/JFK

Do we know yet if changing from one NYC airport to the other to/from HKG post-3/22 will be a re-price? It was asked in the comments section of Gary's post, and Gary said he'd look into it, but never answered.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Do we know yet if changing from one NYC airport to the other to/from HKG post-3/22 will be a re-price? It was asked in the comments section of Gary's post, and Gary said he'd look into it, but never answered.
Personally, can't think of any reason it wouldn't.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Personally, can't think of any reason it wouldn't.
Well crap - does that mean I should then do something like EWR-HKG-MNL (still in J), so that if JFK-HKG(preferred)-MNL pops up, I can just drop the HKG-MNL segment and change to JFK for free?

Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Well crap - does that mean I should then do something like EWR-HKG-MNL (still in J), so that if JFK-HKG(preferred)-MNL pops up, I can just drop the HKG-MNL segment and change to JFK for free?

Thanks.
Change origin is not free, and the fee is waived for EXP. Change from EWR to JFK is a change of origin. My understanding is, co-terminal does not apply to award ticket when the co-terminal is either Origin or Destination. The only time AA allows co-terminal I believe is when it is a connection point.

Since it is not a free change, I would not count on such change not trigger a reprice.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
Change origin is not free, and the fee is waived for EXP. Change from EWR to JFK is a change of origin. My understanding is, co-terminal does not apply to award ticket when the co-terminal is either Origin or Destination. The only time AA allows co-terminal I believe is when it is a connection point.

Since it is not a free change, I would not count on such change not trigger a reprice.
All correct
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Pay F, downgrade to 100% J award later?

I'm planning to book 1 J and 1 F on the same itinerary to maximize my chances of finding future award seats.

Say I book a CX F award with only the short-haul segment in F. Later, I find a 100% J itinerary on JAL (shorter flight time). -> Can I change award w/o fees? - I'm willing to lose the 12.5k miles if need be.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: free agent
I want to make sure that I understand origin rules correctly. I am looking at DCA-JFK-HKG-probably BKK or SIN trip (ill grab a seat on random fall 2016 date). I know AA generally never release any early evening DCA-JFK award seat (they usually release seats for midday flights and I prefer to take early evening flight to take advantage of CX's 0130 AM JFK-HKG leg).

Bottom line, I should purchase AA ticket for early evening flight to JFK, and treat JFK as origin for award flight?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:05 am

Need some help here and a little confused as to my options.

Currently I'm booked for Apr 2016 for

BKK-HKG-PVG-ORD in F (using AA for PVG-ORD, CX the rest)

I was hoping to change this flight to

BKK-HKG-ORD in CX F
or BKK-HKG-NRT-ORD in JAL F
when/if it comes available

Is what I'm trying to do possible? And will it price ok when i try to make the change in April?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by highlifex90
Need some help here and a little confused as to my options.

Currently I'm booked for Apr 2016 for

BKK-HKG-PVG-ORD in F (using AA for PVG-ORD, CX the rest)

I was hoping to change this flight to

BKK-HKG-ORD in CX F
or BKK-HKG-NRT-ORD in JAL F
when/if it comes available

Is what I'm trying to do possible? And will it price ok when i try to make the change in April?
We can't say definitively, but as those are merely permissible routing or date changes that do not incur miles redeposit, there's every reason to think there'd be no change to the new award miles requirements.

OTOH, if you made changes normally requiring miles redeposit, such as changing between oneworld and non-oneworld airlines, exchanging awards for a higher class of service (which currently requires miles redeposit but allows waived redeposit fee), etc. I would expect the new award would require the miles shown on the 22 March chart.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 16, 2016 at 10:34 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Just asking to make sure I understand everything correctly too

I'm AA Plat for what it's worth

I'm planning to fly YVR-ZRH in December but there's 0 availability on any routing.. (except for BA-only YVR-LHR-ZRH which has atrocious fees) so if I can't get anything before March 22 I wanna book & change.

If

What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."
So to leave myself open to as many carriers as possible I should try and avoid AA-only flights (as the only AA-flights to ZRH are ex-JFK and ex-PHL, while there are MANY more flights if I try and route through LHR), via BA LHR-ZRH

So I could try and book e.g.

YVR-DFW-LHR-ZRH (AA-AA-AA-BA), then change the dates for that while either

a) keep the same routing
b) change the routing (e.g. YVR-LAX-LHR-ZRH or even YVR-LAX-JFK-ZRH?)

Correct, neither should lead to a redeposit? And there is no fee associated either, correct? Just making sure everything's in order before I waste 150.-

and the only flight I CANT change to without redeposit would be CX YVR-JFK, since I didn't book that carrier before the change, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.