Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Award changes after 21 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not

Award prices in miles are changing effective 22 Mar 2016. Many members have been asking which changes can be made on pre-existing awards on or after 22 Mar 2016 without requiring miles redeposit and issuance of new awards at the new prices - and we finally have some answers as given by the AA spokesperson through a timely article by Gary Leff and a char set c/o Smiley90 from here

Mile changes in absolute numbers (k)

Mile changes in percentage

First award change chart as of 22 Mar c/o Gary Leff

NOTE: 22 March 2026, several agents are saying what Gary Leff's quoted Ms. Nedbal stated, or parts of it, are not being honored.

According to Gary Leff (View from the Wing, Boarding Area, 31 Jan 2016), Laura Nedbal, spokesperson for AA, said:

Gary: "I sought further clarification and learned:
  • You can change date and time without repricing the award, while keeping airlines and routing constant.

• You can change routing without repricing the award, while keeping the airlines constant, with a few caveats. Basically you cannot break the fare. You cannot add a stopover. You’re going to have to stick with a legal routing for the primary carrier on the itinerary.

• You can not change Origin or Destination, even within the same region, without causing reissue at the current award rates.

• You cannot change award types, which means you can’t go from American only to flying partners. You can’t go from extra mileage award to saver award without a redeposit of miles and re-issue."
Q. Can I change Origin or Destination within the same region, as permitted normally?

This will require re-issue at the new rates.

Q. What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."

Q. What if I want to change from a oneworld airline such as QR to a non-oneworld partner such as EY, but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change the award type (AAnytime to MileSAAver, MileSAAver to reduced miles, etc.), but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change class of service and keep everything else the same?

Q. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my pre-22 Mar award booking?

Many/most flyers have reported no issues with multiple changes for pre-22 Mar award bookings. Some AA EP agents and at least one supervisor have stated the rule is only ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE will be allowed to keep the award at the pre-22 March level. A second or subsequent voluntary change will require conversion to the new chart and "paying" more miles.

Q. What would it cost me to redeposit an award? Two or more awards?

Redepositing an award costs $150 (plus $25 for each other award secured with miles from the same account). These redeposit fees are waived if the account is that of an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member. Link to FT thread: AA award reinstatement / miles redeposit fees, issues, questions (consolidated)

If they are separate awards on different PNRs they may require $150 each.

Q. If I purchase an award by 22 March, how far out can I change the award (within the parameters given)?

An award must be used within one year of issue.

NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:49 am

I booked a ticket on 22-Jan-2016 for 7-Dec-2016. I would like to change the date to 22-Jan-2017. Is that OK or is 21-Jan-2017 the last day that I can use the original ticket?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by highlifex90
Need some help here and a little confused as to my options.

Currently I'm booked for Apr 2016 for

BKK-HKG(CX)-PVG(CX)-ORD(AA) in F

I was hoping to change this flight to

BKK-HKG-ORD in CX F
or
BKK-HKG-NRT-ORD in JAL F
when/if it comes available

Essentially trying to change my TPAC from AA to JL or CX? Will it price ok when i try to make the change in April?
You can try, but you are changing the governing carrier and there is a chance that you won't be able to keep the same price.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I booked a ticket on 22-Jan-2016 for 7-Dec-2016. I would like to change the date to 22-Jan-2017. Is that OK or is 21-Jan-2017 the last day that I can use the original ticket?
I am going to guess no, since the same date a year later would be 1 day after the one year validity. However, check the date that you actually received the eticket email. AA sometimes have delays of days/weeks in ticketing, so your actual ticketing date could be later.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:25 am

22-Jan -2016 is the date listed on the e-ticket. I knew I should have waited 1 more day to ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:30 am

Hi, quick question to make sure I understand the change rules / strategy in booking now. I know I'll be flying to YVR a few times in the next year, but don't know when. The route I would use sometimes has AA availability, sometimes AS, and sometimes a mix. If I'm booking ticket(s) now to change later, does it make the most sense to pick all mixed AA/AS itineraries so that I can change to either full AA or full AS later if needed? Thanks.

EDIT: Similarly, in booking a placeholder YVR-AKL award, does it make the most sense to look for an itinerary that contains AS, AA, and QF segments so that I have the most change options later?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I have a flight booked in F from LAX-HKG (CX), and then in J HKG - HAN in August.

The HKG-HAN leg is on Dragonair, currently booked in J as there is no F. My ideal travel date that i hope to change to looks like that flight only has a Y cabin, no business or first. If I find availability on LAX-HKG in F, but HKG-HAN only has Y availability, will they downgrade me on that leg with no redeposit?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by peezondeez
I have a flight booked in F from LAX-HKG (CX), and then in J HKG - HAN in August.

The HKG-HAN leg is on Dragonair, currently booked in J as there is no F. My ideal travel date that i hope to change to looks like that flight only has a Y cabin, no business or first. If I find availability on LAX-HKG in F, but HKG-HAN only has Y availability, will they downgrade me on that leg with no redeposit?
Yes. You can take a voluntary downgrade on the segment with no repricing.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Yes. You can take a voluntary downgrade on the segment with no repricing.
Similar question- if I have J reserved on one segment, and F (so F award price) on another BUT I upgrade later if F becomes available-- no ticket reissue required?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by globetraveler
Similar question- if I have J reserved on one segment, and F (so F award price) on another BUT I upgrade later if F becomes available-- no ticket reissue required?
Correct.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbb93
Hi, quick question to make sure I understand the change rules / strategy in booking now. I know I'll be flying to YVR a few times in the next year, but don't know when. The route I would use sometimes has AA availability, sometimes AS, and sometimes a mix. If I'm booking ticket(s) now to change later, does it make the most sense to pick all mixed AA/AS itineraries so that I can change to either full AA or full AS later if needed? Thanks.

EDIT: Similarly, in booking a placeholder YVR-AKL award, does it make the most sense to look for an itinerary that contains AS, AA, and QF segments so that I have the most change options later?
Take AS out of your mix if you want free change on routing.

AS is NOT Oneworld member therefore the free change of routing (published fare rules permitted) would not apply.

The only free change on routing you would have is an ALL AA itinerary to an ALL AA itinerary. Anything else, i.e. from All AS to All AA or vice versa, would cost you $150.

I would also try to keep the governing carrier the same one I want to travel on (the long haul). This has been discussed umpteen times that if the governing carrier changes, it may trigger reprice.

It definitely is not like to keep as many carriers in an itinerary would give you extra benefit - it is the exact opposite!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by globetraveler
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Correct.
I believe the ticket would need to be reissued to reflect the new class of service. However since you already paid for the F, there is no redeposit / reclaim miles hence no reprice.

Reissue tickets do not always involve redeposit / reclaim miles. It is the redeposit / reclaim process that would trigger reprice.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I believe the ticket would need to be reissued to reflect the new class of service. However since you already paid for the F, there is no redeposit / reclaim miles hence no reprice.

Reissue tickets do not always involve redeposit / reclaim miles. It is the redeposit / reclaim process that would trigger reprice.
You are right. I 'short changed' the answer to what I thought the question was - 'am I going to have to pay the new rate/more miles'.

Your answer is more complete.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Do you realize JFK-HKG-SYD requires TWO awards?
In order to be on a single award you are not allowed to transit Asia from US to Australia.
The itinerary you have in mind would be North America-Asia2 award, Asia2-Australia award. You will pay the total of the 2 awards cost added together.

Date change does not cause repricing.

Changing it to JFK-NRT-HKG-SYD would remain the same 2 awards - North America to Asia 2 via Asia 1 is allowed, that is your JFK-NRT-HKG, and the routing should work. HKG-SYD the Asia2 to Australia award.

If you have paid F but took voluntary downgrade to J, return to F does not cause repricing.

AA does not allow ANY stopover on Any award.

If you want to have a stopover at YVR, you now have THREE awards

North America award, North America to Asia 2 award, Asia 2 to Australia award.

If you are going to pay MULTIPLE awards, you might as well think about where you would like to have your stopovers as you would be paying for that anyway.
Thanks Happy, didnt know i cant go from us to australia in 1 award guess i will find other places in asia 1 that have f class to hkg
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by ckpeter
You can try, but you are changing the governing carrier and there is a chance that you won't be able to keep the same price.
Isn't the governing carrier defined as the carrier on the first international segment in an itinerary? And not necessarily the 'over- water' carrier? In which case, highliflex90's TPAC itinerary change shouldn't affect the governing carrier as long as the BKK-HKG segment stays on CX.

Last edited by arfaczar; Mar 10, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by arfaczar
Isn't the governing carrier defined as the carrier on the first international segment in an itinerary? And not necessarily the 'over- water' carrier? In which case, highliflex90's TPAC itinerary change shouldn't affect the governing carrier as long as the BKK-HKG segment stays on CX.
Even thought the first international segment is on CX, CX is only the regional carrier. The poster was trying to switch from flying AA across the pacific to flying JAL. Usually, the carrier over the (longest) water is the governing carrier. As the governing carrier, either the AA or JL fare would be used as the basis for validating the routing of the award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.