Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Award changes after 21 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not

Award prices in miles are changing effective 22 Mar 2016. Many members have been asking which changes can be made on pre-existing awards on or after 22 Mar 2016 without requiring miles redeposit and issuance of new awards at the new prices - and we finally have some answers as given by the AA spokesperson through a timely article by Gary Leff and a char set c/o Smiley90 from here

Mile changes in absolute numbers (k)

Mile changes in percentage

First award change chart as of 22 Mar c/o Gary Leff

NOTE: 22 March 2026, several agents are saying what Gary Leff's quoted Ms. Nedbal stated, or parts of it, are not being honored.

According to Gary Leff (View from the Wing, Boarding Area, 31 Jan 2016), Laura Nedbal, spokesperson for AA, said:

Gary: "I sought further clarification and learned:
  • You can change date and time without repricing the award, while keeping airlines and routing constant.

• You can change routing without repricing the award, while keeping the airlines constant, with a few caveats. Basically you cannot break the fare. You cannot add a stopover. You’re going to have to stick with a legal routing for the primary carrier on the itinerary.

• You can not change Origin or Destination, even within the same region, without causing reissue at the current award rates.

• You cannot change award types, which means you can’t go from American only to flying partners. You can’t go from extra mileage award to saver award without a redeposit of miles and re-issue."
Q. Can I change Origin or Destination within the same region, as permitted normally?

This will require re-issue at the new rates.

Q. What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."

Q. What if I want to change from a oneworld airline such as QR to a non-oneworld partner such as EY, but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change the award type (AAnytime to MileSAAver, MileSAAver to reduced miles, etc.), but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change class of service and keep everything else the same?

Q. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my pre-22 Mar award booking?

Many/most flyers have reported no issues with multiple changes for pre-22 Mar award bookings. Some AA EP agents and at least one supervisor have stated the rule is only ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE will be allowed to keep the award at the pre-22 March level. A second or subsequent voluntary change will require conversion to the new chart and "paying" more miles.

Q. What would it cost me to redeposit an award? Two or more awards?

Redepositing an award costs $150 (plus $25 for each other award secured with miles from the same account). These redeposit fees are waived if the account is that of an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member. Link to FT thread: AA award reinstatement / miles redeposit fees, issues, questions (consolidated)

If they are separate awards on different PNRs they may require $150 each.

Q. If I purchase an award by 22 March, how far out can I change the award (within the parameters given)?

An award must be used within one year of issue.

NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
It will be repriced on the new chart, unfortunately.

That is why everyone and his brother is booking the old rate with with no intention to fly the booked flight but locked in the old price.

Your best bet is to upgrade it to J NOW so you lock in the old J price. Then the change later would be just a date change and it has confirmed it would be free of repricing.
Thanks, That's a good idea. But how do I get around JL's 14 day availability window? I.e. I can probably find a J seat within 14 days of today, but since my trip is not until October, I will have to keep changing the date every few weeks. As there is no J availability on or around the day I want to leave.

Last edited by festriaqua; Mar 4, 2016 at 10:55 pm
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
My assumption is no redeposit fee just like it is now, but you would pay the NEW F miles. i.e. it would be 110K oneway for Asia 2 as an example.
Thank you - too bad as I can only find J
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by lancexfang
Thanks Jon. So you don't think changing from J to F would necessarily reset the date, am I hearing you correctly?
I can confirm that upgrading from J to F with the fee waiver will also reset the ticket validity, so your one-year will start from the date of the upgrade to F, not from when J was original booked.

I have experienced with my own ticket that was upgraded J to F and is now booked on a date that is well passed the original ticketing date in J, but still within one year of the date that I upgraded the ticket from J to F.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ckpeter
I can confirm that upgrading from J to F with the fee waiver will also reset the ticket validity, so your one-year will start from the date of the upgrade to F, not from when J was original booked.

I have experienced with my own ticket that was upgraded J to F and is now booked on a date that is well passed the original ticketing date in J, but still within one year of the date that I upgraded the ticket from J to F.
When did you do the upgrade?

I dont remember on which thread, JonNYC said he wasn't sure about it would work after Mar 22, because the PNR would be still on the old date when someone asked him on similar assumption.

In any case, the latest one could do this would still be Mar 21 as any upgrade post Mar 21 would be repriced per the AA spokesperson's comments - Change award type would trigger reprice according to the Q&A in the Wiki. From J to F certainly is changing award type.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 5, 2016 at 12:41 am
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:38 am

When did you do the upgrade?

I dont remember on which thread, JonNYC said he wasn't sure about it would work after Mar 22, because the PNR would be still on the old date when someone asked him on similar assumption.

In any case, the latest one could do this would still be Mar 21 as any upgrade post Mar 21 would be repriced per the AA spokesperson's comments - Change award type would trigger reprice according to the Q&A in the Wiki. From J to F certainly is changing award type.
Very roughly:

Feb 2015: ticketed for travel in Oct 2015 in J
Oct 2015: upgraded from J to F for travel in Feb 2016 (fee-free)
Feb 2016: changed to travel in Sep 2016 in F
Feb 2016: changed to travel in Oct 2016 in F

The ticket is currently booked for travel in F in Oct 2016, with no redeposit fee charged, from a reservation that was originally ticketed in J in Feb 2015.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Very roughly:

Feb 2015: ticketed for travel in Oct 2015 in J
Oct 2015: upgraded from J to F for travel in Feb 2016 (fee-free)
Feb 2016: changed to travel in Sep 2016 in F
Feb 2016: changed to travel in Oct 2016 in F

The ticket is currently booked for travel in F in Oct 2016, with no redeposit fee charged, from a reservation that was originally ticketed in J in Feb 2015.
Excellent information! The reticketing into a new award should certainly mark the beginning of one year to fly the new award. AA essentially redeposited the old award, waived any redeposit fee due and issued a new award October 2015.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Thanks Jon. So you don't think changing from J to F would necessarily reset the date, am I hearing you correctly?
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm not 100% sure, honestly. It -is- a fee-free reissue, but I'm worried about the PNR creation date.
And, will most certainly defer to this real-life example below:

Good news! I've never really moved awards out/around like that, good to hear that it-- hopefully-- will hold for the "jump over" the devaluation date. ^
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by arfaczar
I had a similar question. The new award chart has CMB in ME/India region and any award ticketed after 3/21 & originating in CMB to North America would need to route TATL. Currently I am ticketed in J CMB-HKG-NRT-LAX. Would it be possible to make any of the following changes without requiring the award to be reissued and possibly split into 2 awards to comply with new region definition:
(a) upgrade the TPAC JL sector on the same route/ flight?
(b) reroute to CMB-HKG-LAX with TPAC on CX?
(c) change date, but all else the same?
I had roughly the same question, but appears no one has an answer so far: will changes after March 22 to an award ticket involving CMB require that you follow the old region definition or the new one?

I can tell you, however, that (a) definitely WILL require the award to be reissued as covered extensively in this thread and elsewhere. That also means a TPAC routing will require two awards. (b) and (c) are unclear.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody

Good news! I've never really moved awards out/around like that, good to hear that it-- hopefully-- will hold for the "jump over" the devaluation date. ^
The date change ("extension of award past 1 year from its original purchase") should work but the upgrading from J to F after 3/22 will require new higher mileage (as I understand it)
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:48 pm

Interesting. After Jon's comments last week, I had the opportunity to ask two AA agents this question, and both insisted that the original PNR date will dictate the one year window. Of course they can be misinformed and this real life example is more 'real'...
Old Mar 5, 2016, 4:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting. After Jon's comments last week, I had the opportunity to ask two AA agents this question, and both insisted that the original PNR date will dictate the one year window. Of course they can be misinformed and this real life example is more 'real'...
If the miles (awards) are redeposited and a new award (and tickets) issued, I'd think that would be salient - not the PNR, which is merely a temporary placeholder (and ultimately recycles). I could be wrong, but ckpeter's experience supports that view.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by ismann
I had roughly the same question, but appears no one has an answer so far: will changes after March 22 to an award ticket involving CMB require that you follow the old region definition or the new one?

I can tell you, however, that (a) definitely WILL require the award to be reissued as covered extensively in this thread and elsewhere. That also means a TPAC routing will require two awards. (b) and (c) are unclear.
I would add that if there was a significant schedule change on account of one of the 3 carriers on my award, then I should hope that AA will be more flexible with how they accommodate the change in itinerary. :-)
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
BA site wasn't showing JL availability for a day or two. But it appears to be back. JL loads their awards at 10am Japan time. Pretty consistent with 2F, 2/4J & 4Y on the TP routes.
yes at 330days out and still couldn't find anything last night. the extra problem is that I need to book it as a RT not 2 one ways as I need to add an infant later, am I correct that is the case or can I book mine and my wife's as ow and then my daughter as RT?

If I could only find 2 F seats after May from either LAX-SFO-ORD-JFK it would be great. that is if I need to be on JL on the first transpacific.
Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by MACH81
yes at 330days out and still couldn't find anything last night. the extra problem is that I need to book it as a RT not 2 one ways as I need to add an infant later, am I correct that is the case or can I book mine and my wife's as ow and then my daughter as RT?

If I could only find 2 F seats after May from either LAX-SFO-ORD-JFK it would be great. that is if I need to be on JL on the first transpacific.
Thanks
Haven't booked an infant in-lap seat in a while, but is it necessary to book those as RT? I would have thought that you could have tagged your daughter onto 2 OWs just as easily.

If you don't see F availability at 8pm EST / 5pm PST (call a few minutes earlier to account for wait times) then perhaps JL deviated from its earlier practice of releasing 2F+4J or others are beating you to the punch. I ticketed my 2F+2J on 2/15, so this change maybe recent, if at all.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Haven't booked an infant in-lap seat in a while, but is it necessary to book those as RT? I would have thought that you could have tagged your daughter onto 2 OWs just as easily.

If you don't see F availability at 8pm EST / 5pm PST (call a few minutes earlier to account for wait times) then perhaps JL deviated from its earlier practice of releasing 2F+4J or others are beating you to the punch. I ticketed my 2F+2J on 2/15, so this change maybe recent, if at all.
Since they calculate the infant at 10% of the fare, I have a feeling that two F ow are going to be super-expensive! I can find J availability not every day but it's there while F I can't find it. I just need any date from May on and then I'll change it close to my departure dates, but after march 22nd.

In your experience does any of the 4 gateways with F have better chances of showing F (ORD-NRT-JFK-SFO) or indistinctively all will open up?

thank you again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.