Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015. Bags are scanned at several points, and using the app you can generally see where your bags are. Not all airports have this capability.

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Bags at hubs are “mega scanned” or scanned at every point of contact. The first point of scan would most likely be the sorter where the bag is sent to the corresponding belt where the flight is being loaded.

Bags that miss their flights are delivered to the expeditor(s) who handle IROPS bags and send them on their way. Most likely, the bag is sent on the next AA flight. We are able to send bags on various other airlines but sending them on our own metal is always preferable.
Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage <status tier> Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator

Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport

What if I need clothing or toiletries because my baggage is missing?

Link

Reimbursement

We will reimburse you for items you need immediately while away from home without your bags. Within 45 days of your delay, please send us:

Your 13-character file reference number
A copy of your ticket receipt and baggage claim checks
Your original, dated, itemized receipts

Send verification items to:

American Airlines Central Baggage
4000 East Sky Harbor Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Fax: 480-693-2305
American Airlines: Delayed Baggage: Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.[/color][color="Navy"]
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status

If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records

If you’re unable to submit online, you can send your claim and verification items by mail or fax.

Phoenix, AZ 85034

Link
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries

Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.
If from an international flight, Article 17 of the Montreal Convention applies; see below. The final operating carrier is responsible for locating and returning, or compensating the checking passenger if not delivered within 21 days.

"The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travellers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR (XDR currency code, ~$1,652 May 2017). At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, even if the airline delivers it after that period."
The SDR on 28 Aug 2017 was valued at $1.42, so 1,131 SDR was approximately $1,603.00. Use this link to convert SDR to USD.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Link to PDF about baggage damage and loss by Christopher Cotter, Attorney at Law.

[QUOTE]Q. I flew internationally. What rules governs baggage damage or loss?

Article 17 of the Montreal Convention:

"2. The carrier liable for damage sustained in case of destruction or loss of, or of damage to, checked baggage upon condition only that the event which caused the destruction, loss or damage took place on board the aircraft or during any period within which the checked baggage was in the charge of the carrier. However, the carrier is not liable if and to the extent that the damage resulted from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage. In the case of unchecked baggage, including personal items, the carrier is liable if the damage resulted from its fault or that of its servants or agents.

3. If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage, or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.

4. Unless otherwise specified, in this Convention the term "baggage" means both checked baggage and unchecked baggage."

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost).
  • Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.

Link to posts prior to 2019

Print Wikipost

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
At 41 days, the bag is lost and the airline should be paying up promptly based on value of luggage and its contents. I would not expect to see bag again now
Sigh. I know. That’s why I said I’m resigned to it. But they have made no progress towards paying for anything. My claim was modest so I’m not sure what the issue is. I’m very disappointed in AA’s handling of the whole thing.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

Sigh. I know. That’s why I said I’m resigned to it. But they have made no progress towards paying for anything. My claim was modest so I’m not sure what the issue is. I’m very disappointed in AA’s handling of the whole thing.
I mean I would personally start emailing executives because I have a short fuse when it comes to nonsense. They seem to get some level of heightened attention. When I was having a series of issues with AA last month, some emails to executives got the ball moving literally the day after they were sent.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:26 pm
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Question on AA Delayed Luggage

Good afternoon,

I apologize if this has been addressed before but I am not normally an AA flyer (I fly exclusively Delta) and I have a question regarding how AA treats delayed luggage and compensation for the delay. Here's the situation that my family had run into this past week:

Day 1: 09/05 - My uncle who is 87, flew from Pensacola to Detroit (via Charlotte) on AA for his sister's funeral. He had one small carry-on and when he went to board the flight in Charlotte the gate agent said he would have to check his bag to Detroit. Not being a very frequent flyer he had them check his bag and received a baggage claim ticket and everything appeared to be in order. When he arrived in Detroit, his luggage wasn't at the baggage claim. He went to the AA office and filed a missing bag claim and received an incident number. He was told at the time that his bag must still be in Charlotte and that it would be delivered to him the next day.

Day 2: 09/06 - Called AA with the incident number to follow-up on when his luggage would be delivered. Was told at the time that his baggage was still in Charlotte and would be delivered the next day.

Day 3: 09/07 - Evening rolls around and no luggage has been delivered. Called AA with the incident number and was told that that luggage was now in Detroit but would be delivered the next day. (Sounds familiar).

Day 4: 09/08 - Call AA in the morning and told that the luggage was still in Charlotte. ???? On 09/07 they said it was in Detroit. Agent says they will have it delivered the next day. Note: The online tracking system has NO reference to the incident number so we can't tell what's really true.

Day 5: 09/09 - Call AA in the evening and was told the luggage is in Detroit and has been since he arrived on 09/05. They supposedly just misplaced it at DTW and never put in on the luggage claim. Was told that someone could come and pick it up if they wanted (a 40 minute drive). Why should we have to go pick it up?? Note; At least this agent was apologetic and helpful in finally determining where the bag was.

Day 6: 09/10 - Called AA and told luggage would be delivered that day between 5 pm and 9 pm. Luggage finally arrives at 8:45 pm.

My question for the folks on this board is, does AA normally offer some sort of compensation for this type of screw up outside of reimbursing someone for incidentals/toiletries? I know when we spoke to the various agents they all said there was nothing they could do and that he could just show receipts for the things he bought. I would have expected them to do something like upgrading him on the return flight or saying that they would send him a travel voucher for future travel or even throwing some miles his way.. Is that asking too much? If this is standard procedure for AA then it sort of makes me glad I'm not a FF with them.

Any feedback is appreciated. Safe travels!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
All airlines deal with this the same way, you submit the receipts for all the items you had to purchase while your bag is delayed and they will reimburse you. I've done this with AA for $400, BA for $700, and IB for $110 (my insurance covered the other $200 for the Iberia claim.) If you're a frequent flyer with that airline they might throw in a few goodwill miles your way. Good luck.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is about reimbursement of expenses. Whatever reasonable items he needed to purchase, properly receipted, should be submitted on a list to AA. The outside maximum is AA's lost bag limit.

As noted, AA may throw a small gesture such as some miles his way, but that is really incidental.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FAA1996
All airlines deal with this the same way, you submit the receipts for all the items you had to purchase while your bag is delayed and they will reimburse you. I've done this with AA for $400, BA for $700, and IB for $110 (my insurance covered the other $200 for the Iberia claim.) If you're a frequent flyer with that airline they might throw in a few goodwill miles your way. Good luck.
Seems you are referring to Intl flights and even then Id 1st get permission to go buy anything before doing so , especially if I was flying between 2 cities where there were more then 1 flight a day and I wasnt on the last flight of the day = theres a good chance the bag will arrive later that same day

But thats ONLY if I wasnt flying back home, if your bag is delayed on your return flight you're pretty much SOL

For a Domestic flight its even worse and in the OPs case it was for a carry-on. Id say for a non-status passenger they more or less should be happy that they got their bag in the end. I wouldnt be a happy camper but wouldnt expect a $$ voucher worth much at all, maybe some Miles at best but most likley it will end up being a we are extremely sorry for the oversight. I would still complain to AA but I just wouldnt hold my breathe that theyd be forthcoming with anything worthwhile. A person will probably be refunded for the items they purchased within reason, but its always good to 1st get the OK and know the $ limit

Ive gotten vouchers from some Intl Carriers but since their fares are usually alot more I never came to use any of them and frankly stopped complaining since I have no use for their vouchers and they arent going to purchase any miles for me on the Carrier that I usually credit to so miles are also a waste
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by craz
Seems you are referring to Intl flights and even then Id 1st get permission to go buy anything before doing so , especially if I was flying between 2 cities where there were more then 1 flight a day and I wasnt on the last flight of the day = theres a good chance the bag will arrive later that same day

But thats ONLY if I wasnt flying back home, if your bag is delayed on your return flight you're pretty much SOL

For a Domestic flight its even worse and in the OPs case it was for a carry-on. Id say for a non-status passenger they more or less should be happy that they got their bag in the end. I wouldnt be a happy camper but wouldnt expect a $$ voucher worth much at all, maybe some Miles at best but most likley it will end up being a we are extremely sorry for the oversight. I would still complain to AA but I just wouldnt hold my breathe that theyd be forthcoming with anything worthwhile. A person will probably be refunded for the items they purchased within reason, but its always good to 1st get the OK and know the $ limit

Ive gotten vouchers from some Intl Carriers but since their fares are usually alot more I never came to use any of them and frankly stopped complaining since I have no use for their vouchers and they arent going to purchase any miles for me on the Carrier that I usually credit to so miles are also a waste
This is not true. AA will reimburse you for the delayed bag regardless of international vs domestic. Only difference is the maximum they owe you for the delayed/lost bag. Here are the specifics from the aa website:

Reimbursement

We will reimburse you for items you need immediately while away from home without your bags. Within 45 days of your delay, please send us:
  • Your 13-character file reference number
  • A copy of your ticket receipt and baggage claim checks
  • Your original, dated, itemized receipts

Send verification items:

The quickest way to submit your claim and verification items is by using the online contact form.

Contact us

If you’re unable to submit online, you can send your claim and verification items by mail or fax.

Phoenix, AZ 85034

Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:12 pm
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Thanks. From what it sounds like it's limited to items purchased and receipts submitted.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by CDF
Day 3: 09/07 - Evening rolls around and no luggage has been delivered. Called AA with the incident number and was told that that luggage was now in Detroit but would be delivered the next day. (Sounds familiar).
I had a similar situation when a friend was flying from Germany to Los Angeles. We called in the afternoon on Day 2, after his bag was not delivered in the morning, and was told there was a mix-up with the claim number. The bag was in LAX.

We got in the car and went to pick it up personally. He went to the T-5 Baggage Claim office, pointed at his bag and said "That's mine.", then walked out with it.

4-hour round trip to LAX from north Los Angeles County were I live via the 405 freeway. Yes it was a bummer, but we got the bag on Day 2 and could go on with our vacation plans with our visitor. No more calling and waiting around.

I'm not saying you should have done the same. Supposedly they should find the bag and deliver it. We just decided to cut to the chase.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FAA1996
This is not true. AA will reimburse you for the delayed bag regardless of international vs domestic. Only difference is the maximum they owe you for the delayed/lost bag. Here are the specifics from the aa website:

Reimbursement

• Your 13-character file reference number
  • A copy of your ticket receipt and baggage claim checks
  • Your original, dated, itemized receipts

Send verification items:

The quickest way to submit your claim and verification items is by using the online contact form.

Contact us

Phoenix, AZ 85034

Out of personal experience with AA I fully stand by what I posted

To make matters worse on the paper work you must send in for settlement, if you left off a time you filed (even if you got $0) with any Carrier your claim will be Denied, from what I understood if you had too many claims as well that was reason for AA to Deny any refund

As for a refund its not gonna happen if they can get the bag to you within 24 hrs, now could be a person can have a very compelling reason and end up being refunded, but theres a chance you wont, thusly why unless Im told I can purchase things I dont unless Im willing t end up paying out of pocket. If say youre heading to RNO and they fly into RNO but 1 time a day from anywhere then thats different, ohbut yu need items for tht night and thhts why you flew to begin with its a gamble and I hope the CC used for the tkt has Delayed Baggage Ins
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's covered by the Montreal Convention & COC (if international) and COC only (if domestic). If you get an unreasonably hard time from AA, just file a DOT complaint referencing the applicable Convention and contract provision.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Deleted

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Sep 12, 2019 at 6:33 am
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:32 pm

I used Flying Blue miles to book a China Eastern flight. The handle is broken and China Eastern is refusing to reimburse saying the ticket was ticketed by China Eastern. Went over to Air France counter and the lady said it should be China Eastern who's liable... Had to rush out of the airport to go to an appointment so did not spend time arguing.

So who really should be responsible?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
So my partner and I were on the same Record but they checked his bag under my name. He's currently on a 6 month B1/2 visa here in America but the bag was delayed enroute to LAX, where I live and he's staying while here in America. Will AA reimburse for things, even though the delayed bag was checked under my name, LAX is my home city, but though it had most of his stuff since he's from Australia?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewT84
So my partner and I were on the same Record but they checked his bag under my name. He's currently on a 6 month B1/2 visa here in America but the bag was delayed enroute to LAX, where I live and he's staying while here in America. Will AA reimburse for things, even though the delayed bag was checked under my name, LAX is my home city, but though it had most of his stuff since he's from Australia?
I suggest calling AA and explaining the situation. Seems like this is a reasonable issue. CSRs always just grab bags and process with pax. Then I’d follow up with an email and get it in writing what they are going to reimburse. I’d ask for $ amounts. AA told me “buy what you need as you need it but don’t go Gucci”. Quote. So I did and ended up with $1700 over a 3 week trip in Europe. Bag never found. And AA hid behind the Montreal Convention and only reimbursed $1550. Pathetic. I’m still angry about it several months later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.