Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:56 am

Sure, I get that it's all contracted etc. I'm just genuinely curious as to where the root of the issue lies.

Is it FA's believe they aren't being paid prior to pushing back, thus no service? It was mentioned that their compensation takes that into account, but does it really do so?

Is it just being lazy?

A combination of the above and/or more?

You would think that if AA is publishing this benefit, they would have the language in the contract to support the service, or have opportunity for disciplinary action.

I just wonder why it's an issue when it shouldn't be, and what a company in such a situation can do to correct the deficiency.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Global321

I did not fly a lot of AA before the merger, but I believe no PDB is exactly how pmAA FA's operated.

pmUS still hovers in the 90%+ full PDB, while pmAA sits in the low 20s or teens.
True, PMAA crews did not generally offer PDBs while PMUS did consistently offer PDBs. I suspect the comment was regarding PMAA's service more generally, whereby many of us recall (rightly or wrongly) that PMAA FAs did offer a very service in the F cabins whereas PMUS FAs tended to give or three or four mini-bottles of booze and then disappear for the rest of the flight. For many, that left of service largely disappeared when the old AA eagle logo was retired.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Why is pmAA so consistent with the Intl PDB of bubbles, water, OJ ?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:20 pm

AA1932 -PBI-CLT - pmUS crew - Full PDB.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
pmAA 763
MIA-JFK
water/OJ only as seen from MCE
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
7/10/18, AA 2532, LAX/DCA, full PDB service.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
7/11/2018 AA335 MIA-ORD 757 Full PDB (wish I could have indulged a bit!)
7/11/2018 AA975 ORD-MIA 738 No PDB at all (when I really wanted to indulge!)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
7/10/18 AA 1912 MIA > TPA full PDB
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: LH HON
The pattern seems to be the same.

PHL/PHX based flight crew equals PDB.
LAX/DFW based flight crew equals GTFO.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by ckx2
The pattern seems to be the same.

PHL/PHX based flight crew equals PDB.
LAX/DFW based flight crew equals GTFO.
in other words...
pmUS (PHL/PHX) - full PDB
pmAA (LAX/DFW) - no PDB
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:53 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
7/13/18 AA1247 737-800 ORD-EWR NO PDB, despite a medium sized load and completion of boarding a good 15 minutes prior to push back.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
08/19 AA 730 TPA-CLT Full PDB

Despite late departure due to late arrival
LAA 738 DCA-JFK and full PDB
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by PHL
7/13/18 AA1247 737-800 ORD-EWR NO PDB, despite a medium sized load and completion of boarding a good 15 minutes prior to push back.
These are head-scratchers for me. I took a mainline flight a few weeks ago that was probably 1/2 full in F and 1/3 full in Y. We sat at the gate for about 20-30 min with no one coming on, however PDBs were not served.

When the flight is full and boarding is insane (i.e. long line of people with bags that won't fit, aisle is hardly ever clear), it seems that the FA manages to serve a PDB more often than not.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
7/15/2018, AA 163, DCA/LAX, no PDB.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:24 am
Suspended

Fake out PDB thanks to a late arriving FA on LGA-ORD.....first row offered full PDB then they were offered water/OJ only along with the rest of us due to “our late start”. We actually boarded on time but our lead FAs got swapped out after boarding which I’ve never seen before.

To be fair it doesn’t sound like being late was her fault since AA didn’t give her much time to get to LGA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.