Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Flew DFW/SEA last night. Phoenix based Nancy was one of the best FAs I have ever experienced.

She had a cocktail repertoire of custom mixed cocktails (martinis, mai tais, lemon drop, others I can't recount from memory). "please join me and I will work to make the next 3-1/2 hours as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. If you don't care for my cocktails or beverages, I will happily pour them out and make you something else. I am here to work, and will not hide or read a magazine. This is a late night flight so it is lights out to maximise your ability to rest, relax, and sleep. Your enjoyment and relaxation on American Airlines is second only to my primary responsibility for your safety on this flight."

So, somehow out of the same beverage cart every other flight receives, she made custom cocktails. Crushed ice, mai tai, maybe an old fashioned. I did not heavily partake, but had to try her mai tai out of curiosity. (I would have felt bad not trying something she makes...)

It could have been photographed for a restaurant, limes, crushed ice, separated layers of liquid. "I did not stir it for you because it looks so much better before you mix it!" Very true statement, I should have photographed it.

I asked Nancy what her recipe for the cocktails are, and she indicated she couldn't reveal all her secrets or she wouldn't be the exceptional FA that she is. Agree!

The woman (and her two daughters across the aisle) next to me had never been in First, and she asked me "is it always like this up here??" It was the woman's birthday, and somehow on a late night flight (nuts and cookies) Nancy managed to put on a show (creativity with the late night catering) for this woman and her two daughters. Another custom cocktail and we toasted the birthday (mocktails for the daughters), sugar rimmed glasses, etc.

Nancy was the MacGyver of FAs, making something out of the minimal kit of parts she was provided.

Really inspiring to find someone who is exceptional at what they do, with energy and enthusiasm.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-DCA Republic E175 and full PDB and jackets hung. No mention of this as the AA Shuttle either....the only different thing was that newspapers were laid out at the gate podium to take as you got your BP scanned.
DCA-LGA full PDB.....then announced no service in-flight due to “turbulence” which was non existent.....used the call button and ordered a white wine which was delivered with an attitude E175 Republic.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Feb 26, 2018 at 10:25 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rowingman
Flew DFW/SEA last night. Phoenix based Nancy was one of the best FAs I have ever experienced.
I have been on her flight, and was very similar to how you describe it. She was asked which routes she prefers and the answer was very similar to the trade-secret comments - sounds like she changes travel up a bit.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
2/24 AA 2089 AUS-PHX: full PDB
2/24 AA 506 PHX-YVR: full PDB
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
2/25 AA 1579 DFW-LGA. No PDB; early departure

Last edited by gizmodell; Feb 25, 2018 at 4:35 pm Reason: Including date
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:09 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
2/25 AA4533 PHL-MCI. No PDB. Boarding and cockpit doors open 10 minutes after everyone was boarded, FA’s just hanging in the galley. There was ample time to offer it.

To add salt to the wounds, after gate pushback one FA came through to take meal and drink orders in the wrong order. My understanding is that a Westbound flight should have meals offered from rear to front of the F cabin, but she started up front. As i chose a seat in the last row to have all meal options to choose from, I was put off a bit when the only selection remaining was an Asian wrap.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2/17 DCA-PBI ~3pm
PDB of choice. Excellent service.
OT I guess, but surprised by snack offering - was expecting a premium snack basket but they offered a choice of an antipasto plate or fruit & cheese plate on a tray. FA showed you each at your seat and you chose right there.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
2/27
COS-DFW AA 2579 - LAA B737 - PDB of choice on this 6:15AM departure!'
DCA-PHL - Republic E175 - PDB of choice and great service in the air!
PHL-TPA - LUS OLD A321 - PDB of choice and great service in the air!

3/3 today! I better buy a lottery ticket!

2/28
TPA-MIA LAA A319 - PDB of choice observed from the back.
MIA-PHL AA 850 - LUS A321 - A rare LUS PDB miss. NO PDB offered and no conceivable reason why not from the octogenarian FA. PATHETIC.

Last edited by UAPremierGuy; Feb 28, 2018 at 7:29 am
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
2/28 - AA 327 TUS to ORD - full PDB of choice. Wonderful first class flight attendant
2/28 - AA 2198 ORD to MCO - full PDB of choice, even with delay due to late arrival and catering finishing as boarding completed
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by f18superhornet
2/28 - AA 327 TUS to ORD - full PDB of choice. Wonderful first class flight attendant
2/28 - AA 2198 ORD to MCO - full PDB of choice, even with delay due to late arrival and catering finishing as boarding completed
I generally have really good luck with PDB's on flights to/from ORD, usually ORD based crews too. I know others don't report the same but just IME FWIW.
brc757rr likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
To continue the trend of good luck out of ORD...

ORD-COS Skywest CR7 - PDB of choice!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
3/1 AA 4641 RDU-JFK EMB-175: Despite the inbound aircraft arriving 21 minutes before departure time they F/A did a full PDB ^^
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold.
3/4 SFO-CLT AA445 A321 Full PDB
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
3/3:
AA 1189 YVR-DFW: No PDB
AA 1492 DFW-AUS: Full PDB

Here's an idea: offer flight attendants commissions for doing PDB (like credit card pitches) and I'm sure we will see PDB offered more consistently
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
I've had a bunch of flights recently that I won't write out by number and date, but on all 8 of my flights over the last two weeks I've had a full PDB. These are departing from MIA, DFW and MEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.