FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:24 am
rowingman

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Flew DFW/SEA last night. Phoenix based Nancy was one of the best FAs I have ever experienced.

She had a cocktail repertoire of custom mixed cocktails (martinis, mai tais, lemon drop, others I can't recount from memory). "please join me and I will work to make the next 3-1/2 hours as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. If you don't care for my cocktails or beverages, I will happily pour them out and make you something else. I am here to work, and will not hide or read a magazine. This is a late night flight so it is lights out to maximise your ability to rest, relax, and sleep. Your enjoyment and relaxation on American Airlines is second only to my primary responsibility for your safety on this flight."

So, somehow out of the same beverage cart every other flight receives, she made custom cocktails. Crushed ice, mai tai, maybe an old fashioned. I did not heavily partake, but had to try her mai tai out of curiosity. (I would have felt bad not trying something she makes...)

It could have been photographed for a restaurant, limes, crushed ice, separated layers of liquid. "I did not stir it for you because it looks so much better before you mix it!" Very true statement, I should have photographed it.

I asked Nancy what her recipe for the cocktails are, and she indicated she couldn't reveal all her secrets or she wouldn't be the exceptional FA that she is. Agree!

The woman (and her two daughters across the aisle) next to me had never been in First, and she asked me "is it always like this up here??" It was the woman's birthday, and somehow on a late night flight (nuts and cookies) Nancy managed to put on a show (creativity with the late night catering) for this woman and her two daughters. Another custom cocktail and we toasted the birthday (mocktails for the daughters), sugar rimmed glasses, etc.

Nancy was the MacGyver of FAs, making something out of the minimal kit of parts she was provided.

Really inspiring to find someone who is exceptional at what they do, with energy and enthusiasm.