Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Mine have appeared instantly.
Yes, that is what it does say...immediately available, but even after relaunching the browser, it still shows the previous balance (35,772) when I try to book the award. However, in my profile it does show the 40,772 that really exists.

Meh.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Do the 500 mile upgrade "certificates" expire? And if so, how long before they expire?

[edit: was on the phone with AA for something else and asked, no expiration]

Last edited by Matthew330Ci; Mar 14, 2016 at 11:30 am
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
I mostly fly and redeem with BA so please forgive the newbie question...

I have just cancelled 2 one way sAAver (50k) awards (LHR-SJC-LAX and the return).

Booked as 2x oneways - different tickets, different record locators - to give me flexibility in changing in case something better came up - as luck would have it something better came up in both directions so that is now booked and ticketed.

I was expecting to pay $150 to cancel the first one and $25 to cancel the second one.

Called AA today to cancel and was told I had to pay $150 for each cancellation as they were separate record locators.

I told the agent what is on the AA site "The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket"

He told me that this applies to a second passenger on the same ticket, and that a separate record locator meant that I had to pay $300 not $175.

Who is correct - me or him?

Thanks in advance
He is, unfortunately. I see how the wording on the website made you think you were right though. They should really change it to be more clear, something like "additional award tickets for other passengers".
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
Originally Posted by PHLisa
He is, unfortunately. I see how the wording on the website made you think you were right though. They should really change it to be more clear, something like "additional award tickets for other passengers".
Thank you for the clarification

I agree that the wording is very ambiguous... BA make it a lot clearer on their website although finding the exact wording for their Ts&Cs does take a bit of digging...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:05 pm

Being 6'4" should I book a 777 in Economy with the old 2x5x2 configuration or rather the 330 for a transatlantic flight. I've flown the 330 many times and don't mind it but I've read many poor reviews about space and comfort in the 777s.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by PHLisa
Thank you for the clarification

I agree that the wording is very ambiguous... BA make it a lot clearer on their website although finding the exact wording for their Ts&Cs does take a bit of digging...
I would not assume that the agent is correct. There have been a number of recent FT posts about this issue, and at least some FTers have reported being charged only $175 after escalating to a supervisor.

There has been some suggestion that pm-US agents have been misinterpreting the re-deposit fee schedule.

I would certainly HUACA (and escalate to a supervisor, if need be).
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:02 pm
Suspended

I mostly fly and redeem with BA so please forgive the newbie question...

I have just cancelled 2 one way sAAver (50k) awards (LHR-SJC-LAX and the return).

Booked as 2x oneways - different tickets, different record locators - to give me flexibility in changing in case something better came up - as luck would have it something better came up in both directions so that is now booked and ticketed.

I was expecting to pay $150 to cancel the first one and $25 to cancel the second one.

Called AA today to cancel and was told I had to pay $150 for each cancellation as they were separate record locators.

I told the agent what is on the AA site "The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket"

He told me that this applies to a second passenger on the same ticket, and that a separate record locator meant that I had to pay $300 not $175.

Who is correct - me or him?

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I would not assume that the agent is correct. There have been a number of recent FT posts about this issue, and at least some FTers have reported being charged only $175 after escalating to a supervisor.

There has been some suggestion that pm-US agents have been misinterpreting the re-deposit fee schedule.

I would certainly HUACA (and escalate to a supervisor, if need be).
I agree 100%

One of many recent examples:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25825142-post667.html
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:30 pm

Hi All -

Sorry for the last minute question, but I'm trying to lock in an award before next Monday, this is last minute travel. I know this is a easy one, but I'm freaking out and need help before I call the "friendly" folks at AA>

I'm trying to book BKK - LAX on CX for the end of the month.

BKK - HKG is avail in Biz and HKG - LAX in only available in Coach.

Will this price at 55,000, even though HKG - LAX is in coach?

Also, if CX opens up business on the HKG - LAX, can I change to business for no additional charge?

Also, I'm safe to change to a different flight, correct?

Basically, can I lock in a business class award ticket from BKK - HKG - LAX, with HKG - LAX in coach and when and if CX opens up award availability I can change to seats from coach to business and even change the flight (as long as not over 24 hour stopover), correct? I can even change the date to the next day if available, correct?

AA is so confusing, so I appreciate all your help!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Hi All -

Sorry for the last minute question, but I'm trying to lock in an award before next Monday, this is last minute travel. I know this is a easy one, but I'm freaking out and need help before I call the "friendly" folks at AA>

I'm trying to book BKK - LAX on CX for the end of the month.

BKK - HKG is avail in Biz and HKG - LAX in only available in Coach.

Will this price at 55,000, even though HKG - LAX is in coach?

Also, if CX opens up business on the HKG - LAX, can I change to business for no additional charge?

Also, I'm safe to change to a different flight, correct?

Basically, can I lock in a business class award ticket from BKK - HKG - LAX, with HKG - LAX in coach and when and if CX opens up award availability I can change to seats from coach to business and even change the flight (as long as not over 24 hour stopover), correct? I can even change the date to the next day if available, correct?

AA is so confusing, so I appreciate all your help!
1. Will this price at 55,000, even though HKG - LAX is in coach?

Yes

2. Also, if CX opens up business on the HKG - LAX, can I change to business for no additional charge?

yes, but given how soon the flight is I wouldn't count on that happening. Also keep in mind that premium cabins have higher fees associated with them so you might have to pay some cash for that, though I'm not sure what the situation here is on voluntary downgrades (coach segment on a business award ticket) - but be prepared for it

3. Also, I'm safe to change to a different flight, correct?

Date changes have no charge, routing changes might.

4. Basically, can I lock in a business class award ticket from BKK - HKG - LAX, with HKG - LAX in coach and when and if CX opens up award availability I can change to seats from coach to business and even change the flight (as long as not over 24 hour stopover), correct? I can even change the date to the next day if available, correct?

if by "change the flight" you mean a simple different HKG-LAX flight then yes you should be fine and the above is all correct.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Sorry for the n00b question but I was wondering if the CC used to Buy or Share AA miles has to be in the account holders name?

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:51 pm

You are a life saver! Thank you!

Originally Posted by Smiley90
1. Will this price at 55,000, even though HKG - LAX is in coach?

Yes

2. Also, if CX opens up business on the HKG - LAX, can I change to business for no additional charge?

yes, but given how soon the flight is I wouldn't count on that happening. Also keep in mind that premium cabins have higher fees associated with them so you might have to pay some cash for that, though I'm not sure what the situation here is on voluntary downgrades (coach segment on a business award ticket) - but be prepared for it

3. Also, I'm safe to change to a different flight, correct?

Date changes have no charge, routing changes might.

4. Basically, can I lock in a business class award ticket from BKK - HKG - LAX, with HKG - LAX in coach and when and if CX opens up award availability I can change to seats from coach to business and even change the flight (as long as not over 24 hour stopover), correct? I can even change the date to the next day if available, correct?

if by "change the flight" you mean a simple different HKG-LAX flight then yes you should be fine and the above is all correct.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Unused Ticket expiring soon - what are my options?

To my horror, I just discovered i have an cancelled ticket (~$1400) which has to be used by March 21!

What are my options?

1. Is it possible to request a few weeks extension? Has anyone done this before.

2. Can I use the credit to book a ticket for someone?

Thanks!
@ORD
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:01 am

Ticketing Date

If I put an award on hold today 3/15 and then ticket it on 3/20 (the last day of the 5-day hold), the "ticket date" for the purposes of calculating when I need to use the ticket by will be 1-year from 3/20, correct?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:55 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mike814
If I put an award on hold today 3/15 and then ticket it on 3/20 (the last day of the 5-day hold), the "ticket date" for the purposes of calculating when I need to use the ticket by will be 1-year from 3/20, correct?
Correct - based on the actual "ticketed" date (regardless of when itinerary was in "hold" or "pending" state).
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by @ORD
To my horror, I just discovered i have an cancelled ticket (~$1400) which has to be used by March 21!

What are my options?

1. Is it possible to request a few weeks extension? Has anyone done this before.

2. Can I use the credit to book a ticket for someone?

Thanks!
@ORD
1. No. If anyone has, they'd be denied.

2. If it's a voucher, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html for the possibilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.