Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:10 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Does DFW Terminal C have pre-check available mid-morning on a weekday?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Does DFW Terminal C have pre-check available mid-morning on a weekday?
Just about any question you have is likely to have an answer in the wikipost and body of

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-thread-8.html.

C20 is likely to have an open PreCheck, but with TSA one can never answer with 100% certainty.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Thank you!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by mraub1
I've never used miles for upgrades before and have a few questions. I recently booked an AA flight from CMI>BKK for September. The longest segment is 16 hours westbound and 14 3/4 hours eastbound on DFW>HKG. I booked in N code and it looks like the only upgrade available to me (per the AAdvantage website) is 25,000 miles + $550 for each leg of the trip, moving me from economy to business class. The N fare was only $930, so the upgrade wound more than double the cost of the trip. I don't have any sort of elite type status with AA.

1. Is this the best deal I'm going to get or are there any sort of "hidden" upgrade deals that may not be explicitly set out on the website?

2. How good is AA business class on the 77W they use on DFW>HKG?

3. Would the upgrade apply to the HKG>BKK segment on Cathay Pacific (only a 3 hour flight, so not as critical, but would be nice)?

Thanks for any help to a relative newbie on FF mile use.
1) This is a very good deal, assuming you can get the upgrade (this flight is known to be very challenging for upgrades).

2) The AA 77W J is a world class product, with fully horizontal flat beds in mini-suites, all with aisle access, AVOD, multi-power, etc. (See thumbnail.)

3) The upgrade would only apply to AA marketed and operated flights.

I'd recommend buying Main Cabin Extra for the wider seat and greater seat pitch, and attempting wait listing (unless you can buy it outright) - not as much for the outbound if it's a daytime flight, but certainly for a redeye.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:57 pm

Thanks, JDiver. From what I have read, regular coach seats on this very long flight are pretty miserable. It looks like only 2 business class seats are booked so far, which hopefully means an upgrade is possible.

Any hints on maximizing my upgrade chances? I assume the earlier I apply for the upgrade the more likely I am to get it.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by mraub1
Thanks, JDiver. From what I have read, regular coach seats on this very long flight are pretty miserable. It looks like only 2 business class seats are booked so far, which hopefully means an upgrade is possible.

Any hints on maximizing my upgrade chances? I assume the earlier I apply for the upgrade the more likely I am to get it.
Time of request and status are the primary determinants of priority. As mentioned above, it's a tough upgrade route due to it being elite-heavy and a good portion of premium cabins are sold. Last time I tried, I was a Platinum trying to use a gifted SWU. There was no C space available (what is required for either a SWU or miles + copay upgrades) until about 3hrs before the flight, when they released 2-3. I was #41 on the upgrade list, even though I requested it approximately 2 months out.

I would recommend going by JDiver's advice -- pay for the MCE seat and forget about the upgrade to J. They're comfy enough, with good leg room and recline and same IFE as J.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Question How often do EPs get upgraded on domestic travel?

Roughly how often do EPs get upgraded to First Class for domestic travel?

Background for my question:

I am trying to decide if it's worth buying tickets for two planned vacations (vs. redeeming miles) this year. Combined with the business travel I already have planned and completed, the miles flown on the additional revenue tickets would likely push me to Executive Platinum for the first time ever. I have been Platinum (and Gold) on and off for years.

I do about half of my air travel from SAN and the other half from CMH, if that is a factor.

I understand the pre- and post-devaluation differences between the status levels and can do my own analysis on the relative value of other facets of the program between these two status levels... I just don't know anyone who has EP status that I can ask this specific question about upgrades in the real world.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:37 pm

Tomorrow's (Wednesday) COS-DFW # 2269 scheduled to depart at 6:13 a.m. has developed a delay to 7:13 a.m.

Can I bank on that delayed departure? Or is it still possible that it could go back to the 6:13 time? I'm guessing that because of the delayed inbound tonight that the crew rest time is not sufficient to have an on-time departure?

If I can trust the delay, another hour's sleep would not be unwelcome

Any wisdom?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Tomorrow's (Wednesday) COS-DFW # 2269 scheduled to depart at 6:13 a.m. has developed a delay to 7:13 a.m.

Can I bank on that delayed departure? Or is it still possible that it could go back to the 6:13 time? I'm guessing that because of the delayed inbound tonight that the crew rest time is not sufficient to have an on-time departure?

If I can trust the delay, another hour's sleep would not be unwelcome

Any wisdom?
I'd not trust.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:25 pm

Thanks, AKCAE. The premium coach seats get good reviews and many are available at this point. I don't sleep well on planes anyway and have my own noise cancelling headphones, so a reclining seat with good legroom will do me fine. Plus $1100 comes to about 38,500 Baht, which will buy me more beer than even I can drink in BKK

Originally Posted by akcae
I would recommend going by JDiver's advice -- pay for the MCE seat and forget about the upgrade to J. They're comfy enough, with good leg room and recline and same IFE as J.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
I'm trying to look for first class award space one-way from MSN-KUL. Looking at Apr 6th or anytime that week is fine too.

So far the best the aa reps have gotten me is a business class on lax-hkg CX 885 and cx 791 but I believe(?) they both don't have any first class space on the plane, so I can't even upgrade it later on.

I tried looking through qantas but it doesn't seem to be pulling up any JL or CX flights.

Just wondering if someone here has more magic with their hands at looking this up
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by madguy2
I'm trying to look for first class award space one-way from MSN-KUL. Looking at Apr 6th or anytime that week is fine too.

So far the best the aa reps have gotten me is a business class on lax-hkg CX 885 and cx 791 but I believe(?) they both don't have any first class space on the plane, so I can't even upgrade it later on.

I tried looking through qantas but it doesn't seem to be pulling up any JL or CX flights.

Just wondering if someone here has more magic with their hands at looking this up
You're looking at a VERY short notice for F award flights, especially with the devaluation coming up, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's literally nothing available... If I were you I'd just take the J seats and run with them.

I mean... I guess you COULD try routing through LHR but that's two awards I think. :P There's First availability on BA&MH for ORD-LHR-KUL...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by madguy2
First class is now on fewer aircraft/routes. Have you looked which airlines offer first? (Try to buy a cash first fare on your routes to check what is offered).
Do you know the difference between international first class & USA domestic first? A surprising number of USA people think its similar. Its not. Most USA domestic first is like international business/premium economy class at best. You will be better to look for business class (as been offered to you).

Edit:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...es-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...a-flights.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 8, 2016 at 10:26 pm
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, Marriott
I have a question about AA showing flights differently if I'm incognito.

RDU-PHX shows #2110 from RDU-LAX then #469 from LAX-PHX, and it still shows if I log into AA. If I use the normal browser this flight doesn't show up. I'd like to take this one since it would be approx. 1500 more base miles (elite gold + F bonus). Is there a reason it's not showing up unless I change browsers?

2nd question: thoughts re: is it worth it to route through LAX for 1500 miles? The arrival times work out okay although it means an extra hour flight time and an extra hour layover.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by retiredsw
I have a question about AA showing flights differently if I'm incognito.

RDU-PHX shows #2110 from RDU-LAX then #469 from LAX-PHX, and it still shows if I log into AA. If I use the normal browser this flight doesn't show up. I'd like to take this one since it would be approx. 1500 more base miles (elite gold + F bonus). Is there a reason it's not showing up unless I change browsers?

2nd question: thoughts re: is it worth it to route through LAX for 1500 miles? The arrival times work out okay although it means an extra hour flight time and an extra hour layover.
What medium are you using to find the routing? No idea why it wouldn't show up using the normal aa.com, but over the years I've seen a few instances like this. You could always use multi-city booking to piece it together.

As to is it worth it routing via LAX, that entirely depends on your scenario. If the extra time isn't an issue and the price similar, then sure, why not. Despite the extra flight time that departure will be the latest you can get from RDU, so you'll have a full day before you leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.