Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

MODERATOR NOTE

NOTE: This thread is exclusively for q&a, discussion about security procedures encountered by AA passengers. General discussion about airport security properly belongs in the Travel Safety / Security fora, particularly the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate subforum. Link.

The 2017 enhanced security interviewing general discussion is New passenger screening "interviews" to US, starting Oct 26/2017

As of Thursday, 26 Oct 2017 the procedures described below have been expanded to all airlines and departure points to the USA, required to avoid the alternative ban on personal electronic devices larger than a mobile phone that was originally imposed. By October 26 2017 these have been implemented network-wide by AA and most airlines. A few airlines were granted extensions until mid-January 2018.

Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to complete these additional procedures, which may include all procedures detailed below, including interviews, deeper scrutiny of documents, carryon baggage and personal items, including explosives detection swabbing of electronic devices.

Link to Reuters article, 29 June 2017

Link to Time article, 25 Oct 2017

Link to USA Today article, 25 Oct 2017

Security procedures for those departing internationally to the USA, particularly since 11 Sep 2001, have been more extensive. The U. S. Department of Homeland Security requires ALL airlines perform more extensive passenger screening of USA-bound passengers. (AA began in Europe with ICTS International a Dutch firm founded by former Israeli Shin Bet (internal security) and El Al personnel. In Europe, when you have been cleared (at or near the gate generally) they will affix a sticker (base and letter colors may vary by day, etc.) marked "ICTS" to your passport cover.)

Passenger questioning generally includes a first layer of questions, usually asked by check-in staff, that include such items as "Who packed your baggage?", "Has your baggage been in your possession since it was packed?", "What electronic devices do you have?", "Have you had any repaired while on your trip?"

A second layer of questions may include requests for more detailed information about you and your travels, such as "What do you do for a living?", "What company do you work for?", "What's the name of your CEO?", "How many times a year do you travel through XYZ?", "Where did you stay?", "What's your favorite restaurant in ....?", "Tell me about your best ever holiday?", "describe your neighborhood" and include questions about your home address, neighborhood, children, etc. To some people these questions might appear intrusive; others may feel the body language, tone and language used are inappropriate in some way.

These second layer questions were previously asked by contract security personnel, but now might be asked by airline check-in staff as well. Note the behavior of the passenger is observed and may be emphasized over answer content. Failure to reply with requested information or refusal may result in more extensive procedures.

Be aware: it has been verified the agents have the ability to issue your boarding pass with "SSSS", meaning you will get "heavy" screening. Several people have described "giving lip" or declining to answer agent second layer questions for various reasons and getting SSSS.

Though USA-bound passengers are generally screened at or prior to entering the gate area for departure, additional screening may include more extensive questioning by AA or contracted security personnel and / or more screening of possessions. This may be entering or at the gate area, or even at temporary stations set up at the gate or on the boarding bridge; passengers may be selected randomly, or from lists that may include other countries one has visited.

Other procedures may be used at other airports for departing passengers boarding to the USA. Procedures may intensify or lessen as influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

More extensive security suggest giving yourself more time to process these enhanced procedures.

Please refrain from altering this moderator note.
Airports initially used by AA included because of different, more thorough etc. security included:

AMS - Amsterdam, The Netherlands: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo airline security contractor questioning at check-in or when transiting.

BOG - Bogotá, Colombia: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo more intense, even aggressive, questioning even from than other Colombian airports served by AA in 2016.

BRU - Brussels, Belgium: a terror bombing at departures 22 Mar 2016 has impacted BRU and security procedures have changed and intensified as it slowly reopens.

DUB - Dublin, Ireland: AA passengers departing to the USA pass through airport security to the airside departures area with shops and lounges - followed by US Customs and Border Protection (customs and immigration) formalities and TSA security, as this is one of several pre-clearance airports (the aircraft arrives in the USA as a domestic flight). Please discuss DUB in the dedicated thread - link.

LHR - Some members report more extensive and intrusive questioning of AA USA-bound passengers. It doesn't seem different than questioning that has been used on departing passengers elsewhere (e.g. AMS, BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, MAD in the wiki author's experience), but the intensity could vary - influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

MEX - México City, Mexico: Hand baggage inspection tables are generally set up at the jetbridge for further examination of documents and carry-on items. Though passengers are said to be randomly selected, the first passengers boarding are often selected.
Updated October 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
The last time my wife and I traveled LHR-PHL we were asked the security questions.

Agent - "Where did you stay last night"
Me and wife answered concurrently - "The Hilton in Terminal 4"
Me - "I'm glad our answers agree!"

Then I get the dreaded SSSS on my BP!

Coincidence? I think not!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The haraSSSSment flags for passengers on that route are generally determined well before being questioned by these characters at LHR. Being flagged may lead to more invasive questions/record checks, but it’s very rarely the case that the passenger’s verbal answers cause the haraSSSSment flagging when flying AA out of Europe.
CDG to JFK this July, friendly chat at J check in:

"Where in France did you visit?"

Me: "Bordeaux ... I mean Burgundy!"

SO: "You're always mixing those up."

Fail. Special stamp on BP to be at gate 60 minutes in advance. At T-58, approaching the gate, called out by name for being late. Gate searched.

Which one of us should take the blame for that one?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GaryD

Fail. Special stamp on BP to be at gate 60 minutes in advance. At T-58, approaching the gate, called out by name for being late. Gate searched.

Passenger who answered consistently is subjected to a secondary search at the gate. Passenger who answered inconsistently is subject to a secondary search at the gate. Blame whomever you want for the charade in the name of "security".

The stamps/stickers applied manually (by the airline contractors) on boarding passes and/or passports are distinct from the electronic flagging on boarding passes. While both may involve being subjected to a process involving a secondary gate search, they aren't entirely the same thing. So did your boarding pass have an automatically printed out "SSSS" flag on it?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Passenger who answered consistently is subjected to a secondary search at the gate. Passenger who answered inconsistently is subject to a secondary search at the gate. Blame whomever you want for the charade in the name of "security".

The stamps/stickers applied manually (by the airline contractors) on boarding passes and/or passports are distinct from the electronic flagging on boarding passes. While both may involve being subjected to a process involving a secondary gate search, they aren't entirely the same thing. So did your boarding pass have an automatically printed out "SSSS" flag on it?
Pretty sure, no, no SSSS. Yes we both got the special stamp.

The young lady at check-in seemed to get a bit nervous when we joked about my frequent confusion about French wine regions. She excused herself and left us alone for about 3-4 minutes. When she returned with a slightly older AA person (presumably supervisor), more paperwork was done without comment. As the adjusted BPs were handed to us, supervisor seemed apologetic as she explained our extra obligations.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Flying BUD-LHR-CLT-TPA, so no checkin at LHR.

At the LHR gate, as I was about to board with J, I was called aside for this questioning. Then was handed a new BP with SSSS printed on it and shunted further to secondary.

So, yeah, it's not clear my answers really had any effect on the process.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Flying BUD-LHR-CLT-TPA, so no checkin at LHR.

At the LHR gate, as I was about to board with J, I was called aside for this questioning. Then was handed a new BP with SSSS printed on it and shunted further to secondary.

So, yeah, it's not clear my answers really had any effect on the process.
Did the SSSS show for all of the remaining segments in your trip or just the LHR-CLT service?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:04 pm

Pretty sure, no, no SSSS. Yes we both got the special stamp.

The young lady at check-in seemed to get a bit nervous when we joked about my frequent confusion about French wine regions. She excused herself and left us alone for about 3-4 minutes. When she returned with a slightly older AA person (presumably supervisor), more paperwork was done without comment. As the adjusted BPs were handed to us, supervisor seemed apologetic as she explained our extra obligations.
SO informs me, I was wrong. We both did get the SSSS, in addition to the special stamp. I don't know if it's possible to get one without the other.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Did the SSSS show for all of the remaining segments in your trip or just the LHR-CLT service?
Just the one. Since BUD-LHR was BA metal, I'd gotten all 3 BPs from them initially with no SSSS, and I was not handed a new CLT-TPA BP at LHR.

When I rechecked my bag at CLT, I asked the AA agent to issue me an AA BP for my CLT-TPA in the hopes that that would get me PreCheck on it. No such luck, and I have to wonder whether that was due to the earlier SSSS.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum
I contacted the Executive Office at AA about the stupid questions that have no relevance to aircraft security. No one wants to say anything other than contacting the TSA which as we all know is a big black hole. I checked in yesterday on my phone so I had a mobile boarding pass. Today at the airport, I was told I would be asked a few questions. I replied that no other airline flying to the USA asks ridiculous questions but let's have a go. I was asked my address. My response was it's on my profile. The agent said ok we will stop the questions as they are optional. She prints a boarding pass with SSSS on it. I replied thanks and it will be my last TransAtlantic flight on AA. The new American is the New US Airways...sucks. Never have I had this type of harassment with BA. I'm seriously looking at flying BA 100% for Transatlantic or possibly giving up my EXP status and move to Virgin/Delta. I know all airlines have issues but let's use some common sense.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by jdw0624
I contacted the Executive Office at AA about the stupid questions that have no relevance to aircraft security. No one wants to say anything other than contacting the TSA which as we all know is a big black hole. I checked in yesterday on my phone so I had a mobile boarding pass. Today at the airport, I was told I would be asked a few questions. I replied that no other airline flying to the USA asks ridiculous questions but let's have a go. I was asked my address. My response was it's on my profile. The agent said ok we will stop the questions as they are optional. She prints a boarding pass with SSSS on it. I replied thanks and it will be my last TransAtlantic flight on AA. The new American is the New US Airways...sucks. Never have I had this type of harassment with BA. I'm seriously looking at flying BA 100% for Transatlantic or possibly giving up my EXP status and move to Virgin/Delta. I know all airlines have issues but let's use some common sense.
Good for you (not being sarcastic). This is just AA playing games with their paying customers. Even if you do play their stupid games, you still will probably get SSSS.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:18 pm

Oh so this is what's going on. Extra pre-check on american carriers. I flew with BA and then AA and wondered why is there a special AA room with this little interrogation for connecting travellers at LHR. I will consider it for next transatlantic flight. I book at BA but last two times I had to select AA transatlantic flight.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Luke997.

Unfortunately, it has been verified the agents can, and are quite willing to, issue 'SSSS' imprinted boarding passes if they feel anything is amiss with your replies or that you're "giving them attitude"
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
They were doing this nonsense on 10/16 when I flew out of LHR in buisness class. After 3-4 questions, I got pretty annoyed with them and let them know. No SSSS for me.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:33 pm

New 'security interviews' to begin for fliers on U.S.-bound flights

Travelers on international flights to the United States may face longer check-in and boarding queues this week as new U.S. security requirements kick in.

A set of new security measures for U.S.-bound flights takes effect Thursday, part of an effort by the Department of Homeland Security to scrutinize electronics brought onboard commercial airliners.

Ahead of that deadline, at least four large global carriers said they have started new "security interviews" for all passengers on U.S.-bound flights. Those airlines said that has come at the request of the U.S. Other global airlines that fly to the U.S. will likely do the same.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...hts/797963001/
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bchandler02
They were doing this nonsense on 10/16 when I flew out ozf LHR in buisness class. After 3-4 questions, I got pretty annoyed with them and let them know. No SSSS for me.
Generally, those haraSSSSment flags are already set before the passenger even shows up at LHR. The contractor databases are part of the picture and generally applied before the passenger is asked questions.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:43 am

New questioning on US bound flights?

So in the news today I saw that all US bound pax are subject to getting "interviewed" by airlines.

Hasnt this always been the case?

Everytime I fly through NRT on to DEN or DFW or ORD, I am pulled aside and they swab me and have even asked me to turn on my cell and stuff.

Is this common? It has been for me almost every single time. It could be because I dont have US passport.

What are your experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.