FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1731956-enhanced-aa-airport-security-screening-procedures-questions-master-thd.html)

DC Mike Dec 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Hi all

I flew from Heathrow to the States yesterday on AA and encountered something new at the check-in desk. I'm curious for more information.

The line for regular check-in/bag drop was about 75 people deep. The preferred status line (not the special first class line) had about seven people in it. I got into the preferred line and was surprised at how much the agents seemed to be chatting with each customer, MUCH more than normal, when there were clearly people waiting.

When I reached the counter, the agent took my passport and then started to ask a series of increasingly personal questions. Where in the States do you live (I don't, I live here), where "here" do you live (in London), and where do you live in London (specific neighbourhood), what are you travelling to the States for (for Christmas), who are you spending Christmas with, and what do you do here in London (I work in X industry), and what do you do for them (I am a consultant, in that industry), what's the name of your company, where is your office (Central London), where in London (near Covent Garden), etc.

I was getting a bit irritated what I considered to be rather invasive questions (especially while I needed to get through security and do work) so I asked what was prompting all these rather personal questions. The agent then said "it is part of a new security procedure, it's for flights to America."

It became apparent that's why all the agents were taking so long, and why the regular check-in line was so long.

Does anyone know more about this new process, is it required by TSA or some other body, why agents are the ones doing this (no offence, but I wouldn't've envisioned an AA check-in agent would be trained in assessing threats or risks), etc.?

Piedmont767 Dec 15, 2015 3:01 pm

This is part of a new AA customer security screening process. A friend, who works in check-in for AA in London, told me about it. The idea is that customers, "who have nothing to hide" will act normally; and people who have something to hide won't want to answer the question and will act nervous etc.

And check in agents are taught, in training, to notice the difference between people who don't want to be asked personal questions and people who don't answer the questions and shouldn't be allowed on the aircraft.

Also check in agents have to change the questions asked from passenger to passenger. And the training was rigorous for this new security screening.

DC Mike Dec 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

So this is an AA thing, not a USA thing? Interesting. Is it being used in all international airports?

I certainly have nothing to hide...but this made me feel uncomfortable. "What streets is that near" in terms of my office location? "Which neighbourhood in London" for my residence?

It's like I've lost the friendly, open American in me and become...awkwardly British. *gasp*

Often1 Dec 15, 2015 3:13 pm

Chatting people up by engaging them up in pointed conversations is an age-old technique. The answers themselves don't matter, it's the reaction to the questions.

I will be interested to hear more from people who are referred for further questioning, who conducts that questioning and what happens.

jtav559 Dec 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Is AA only doing this "enhanced questions" bit at the general check-in, or are transit passengers going to have to answer the same ?'s at the transfer desk or AC before departure?

airplanegod Dec 15, 2015 3:30 pm

I think a change of airline would be in order. If i'm going to be held up at check-in to answer some ridiculous 1990's security questions, i'm going to pick UA/DL/BA/VS to bring me over from London to the US.

oysterhead43 Dec 15, 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegod (Post 25869494)
I think a change of airline would be in order. If i'm going to be held up at check-in to answer some ridiculous 1990's security questions, i'm going to pick UA/DL/BA/VS to bring me over from London to the US.

You're kidding right?

airplanegod Dec 15, 2015 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by oysterhead43 (Post 25869512)
You're kidding right?

No, i'm not. Why should I be held up to answer some ridiculous questions that make no difference in security when United, British Airways, Delta, and Virgin Atlantic do not and would have me through the airport faster?

Lakeviewsteve Dec 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegod (Post 25869634)
No, i'm not. Why should I be held up to answer some ridiculous questions that make no difference in security when United, British Airways, Delta, and Virgin Atlantic do not and would have me through the airport faster?

How do you know the airlines you mention are not doing what AA is doing? I would rather feel safer than sorry when it comes to screening. When leaving Singapore, one person interviews you at a table where another person is unpacking and repacking you're luggage (checked and carry on). They did this for everyone checking in. Not just random. I feel much safer under this approach than just handing my bag in at the check in counter.

apeortdz Dec 15, 2015 4:55 pm

I was glad to see this post. It explains what I experienced on 30Nov LHR-PHL. Wife and I were checking in and the agent asked many questions and there were around 8 people waiting in line. Questions like "What do you do for work" and "How often do you travel to London" and "Where do you like to stay while in London" and the like. We stood at the counter for several minutes longer than what would be normal. We thought it odd at the time but now understand it. Thanks.

VickiSoCal Dec 15, 2015 5:01 pm

So, check in online and skip this?

pnq91 Dec 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Odd, I was in LHR this past weekend, going to JFK (but on Delta) and did not receive anything else other than the standard "who packed your bags" and "are you carrying electronics" at the gate (did OLCI)

I'd assume this may be an AA-only thing

carlosdca Dec 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 25869869)

They used to put a sticker on your passport signaling that you did the screening regardless of check-in method. The questions could be asked at the entrance of AC lounge, check-in, or at the Gate.
It's been like that forever. So, no, OLCI wouldn't help.

Also, the questions don't seem too unfamiliar to me and sounds like nothing new. There are threads here in FT detailing similar questioning (very old threads).

SNA_Flyer Dec 15, 2015 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 25869869)

You can't skip it, unfortunately. I had no idea this nonsense had started back up again at LHR - it has always been in some effect at most European AA stations I've flown out of in the past - FRA/BRU/DUB come to mind - but none of those were at the level of questioning I experienced at LHR.

I had OLCI'ed for a flight from LHR this past spring, got to the airport, went through security, and BA F lounge with no problem. However, upon trying to board, my passport didn't have the magic ICTS sticker on it, and I was directed over to a security <redacted> to be asked pointless/invasive questions as the OP experienced. Many of his questions I refused to answer on the basis of privacy, and was eventually "blessed" and allowed to board.

What kind of irks me about this process is that AA knows very well who I am and what kind of history I have with them as a customer - and these are their contractors, whom this info should be passed along to. No matter, they treat everyone the same.

nrr Dec 15, 2015 7:25 pm

In October flying from ZRH to JFK, I encountered a similar set of questions at the check-in desk (pre-security)*. When I flew this route in Nov., I decided to skip the check-in desk (I had NO checked luggage; I printed my bp from one of the multi-airline kiosks). At the gate I was only asked about anyone giving me something to bring on the plane.
*I only went to the c/I desk to save time at the gate.