Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

MODERATOR NOTE

NOTE: This thread is exclusively for q&a, discussion about security procedures encountered by AA passengers. General discussion about airport security properly belongs in the Travel Safety / Security fora, particularly the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate subforum. Link.

The 2017 enhanced security interviewing general discussion is New passenger screening "interviews" to US, starting Oct 26/2017

As of Thursday, 26 Oct 2017 the procedures described below have been expanded to all airlines and departure points to the USA, required to avoid the alternative ban on personal electronic devices larger than a mobile phone that was originally imposed. By October 26 2017 these have been implemented network-wide by AA and most airlines. A few airlines were granted extensions until mid-January 2018.

Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to complete these additional procedures, which may include all procedures detailed below, including interviews, deeper scrutiny of documents, carryon baggage and personal items, including explosives detection swabbing of electronic devices.

Link to Reuters article, 29 June 2017

Link to Time article, 25 Oct 2017

Link to USA Today article, 25 Oct 2017

Security procedures for those departing internationally to the USA, particularly since 11 Sep 2001, have been more extensive. The U. S. Department of Homeland Security requires ALL airlines perform more extensive passenger screening of USA-bound passengers. (AA began in Europe with ICTS International a Dutch firm founded by former Israeli Shin Bet (internal security) and El Al personnel. In Europe, when you have been cleared (at or near the gate generally) they will affix a sticker (base and letter colors may vary by day, etc.) marked "ICTS" to your passport cover.)

Passenger questioning generally includes a first layer of questions, usually asked by check-in staff, that include such items as "Who packed your baggage?", "Has your baggage been in your possession since it was packed?", "What electronic devices do you have?", "Have you had any repaired while on your trip?"

A second layer of questions may include requests for more detailed information about you and your travels, such as "What do you do for a living?", "What company do you work for?", "What's the name of your CEO?", "How many times a year do you travel through XYZ?", "Where did you stay?", "What's your favorite restaurant in ....?", "Tell me about your best ever holiday?", "describe your neighborhood" and include questions about your home address, neighborhood, children, etc. To some people these questions might appear intrusive; others may feel the body language, tone and language used are inappropriate in some way.

These second layer questions were previously asked by contract security personnel, but now might be asked by airline check-in staff as well. Note the behavior of the passenger is observed and may be emphasized over answer content. Failure to reply with requested information or refusal may result in more extensive procedures.

Be aware: it has been verified the agents have the ability to issue your boarding pass with "SSSS", meaning you will get "heavy" screening. Several people have described "giving lip" or declining to answer agent second layer questions for various reasons and getting SSSS.

Though USA-bound passengers are generally screened at or prior to entering the gate area for departure, additional screening may include more extensive questioning by AA or contracted security personnel and / or more screening of possessions. This may be entering or at the gate area, or even at temporary stations set up at the gate or on the boarding bridge; passengers may be selected randomly, or from lists that may include other countries one has visited.

Other procedures may be used at other airports for departing passengers boarding to the USA. Procedures may intensify or lessen as influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

More extensive security suggest giving yourself more time to process these enhanced procedures.

Please refrain from altering this moderator note.
Airports initially used by AA included because of different, more thorough etc. security included:

AMS - Amsterdam, The Netherlands: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo airline security contractor questioning at check-in or when transiting.

BOG - Bogotá, Colombia: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo more intense, even aggressive, questioning even from than other Colombian airports served by AA in 2016.

BRU - Brussels, Belgium: a terror bombing at departures 22 Mar 2016 has impacted BRU and security procedures have changed and intensified as it slowly reopens.

DUB - Dublin, Ireland: AA passengers departing to the USA pass through airport security to the airside departures area with shops and lounges - followed by US Customs and Border Protection (customs and immigration) formalities and TSA security, as this is one of several pre-clearance airports (the aircraft arrives in the USA as a domestic flight). Please discuss DUB in the dedicated thread - link.

LHR - Some members report more extensive and intrusive questioning of AA USA-bound passengers. It doesn't seem different than questioning that has been used on departing passengers elsewhere (e.g. AMS, BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, MAD in the wiki author's experience), but the intensity could vary - influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

MEX - México City, Mexico: Hand baggage inspection tables are generally set up at the jetbridge for further examination of documents and carry-on items. Though passengers are said to be randomly selected, the first passengers boarding are often selected.
Updated October 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Odd questions at LHR Check-in

This happened a few weeks ago, but I've been mostly off-line since then. On the 24th of December I checked in at LHR's Flagship Check-in desk for a flight to JFK.

The man who checked me casually asked me what I did for a living. When I told I worked in a bank he said "oh which one. I'm curious because I own a car service". I gave a very opaque response and tried to proceed with check-in.

He then proceeded to ask how long I'd lived in the UK (I have a North American accent), what I did for the bank and which one it was. I gave a length of time and very general description of my role, but I was at this point suspicious of telling him where I worked.

He persisted, and when I asked "is this some kind of requirement" he said "sometimes it is".

I finally told him where I worked, almost certain that he'd use the information to cold call my company in an effort to drum up car service business.

I've not reported this to AA yet, as I wanted to solicit feedback first. Was I right to be suspicious, or was this some sort of heightened level of security screening?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by SCSA
This happened a few weeks ago, but I've been mostly off-line since then. On the 24th of December I checked in at LHR's Flagship Check-in desk for a flight to JFK.

The man who checked me casually asked me what I did for a living. When I told I worked in a bank he said "oh which one. I'm curious because I own a car service". I gave a very opaque response and tried to proceed with check-in.

He then proceeded to ask how long I'd lived in the UK (I have a North American accent), what I did for the bank and which one it was. I gave a length of time and very general description of my role, but I was at this point suspicious of telling him where I worked.

He persisted, and when I asked "is this some kind of requirement" he said "sometimes it is".

I finally told him where I worked, almost certain that he'd use the information to cold call my company in an effort to drum up car service business.

I've not reported this to AA yet, as I wanted to solicit feedback first. Was I right to be suspicious, or was this some sort of heightened level of security screening?
There was a recent discussion along these lines, so I'm going to merge this in. I was able to find this thread by doing an advanced search, in thread titles only, for "LHR". You may want to review some of these experiences and comments.

~Moderator
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC
After looking through this thread, I've no problem with a security interview when I know that's what's happening. I've a big problem being assailed with "none of your business" questions by a check-in agent.

I may have nothing to hide, but I might have failed the screening by seeming agitated by an invasive interview given under false pretense.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Despite flying out of Heathrow quite frequently, I still often forget that I'm being screened and it dawns on me about halfway through. "Oh, she's quite polite! Wait what?! Oh.... Right."
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Has anybody noticed a reduction in said questions if you have TSA Precheck? At the LHR transfer desk last month, I had zero questions from the desk agent. This was after she printed my boarding passes.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Skatering
Has anybody noticed a reduction in said questions if you have TSA Precheck? At the LHR transfer desk last month, I had zero questions from the desk agent. This was after she printed my boarding passes.
I have GE, and it prints on my ticket, but only after they go through all the questions. It was probably more related to your being at the transfer desk than the outside check in desk.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I went through the transfer desk last week, and only got the old-fashioned questions along the lines of "has all your baggage been in your possession since you packed it?" and "have you had any electronics repaired?".
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
I flew DUB to PHL a few weeks ago and had the screening questions at check-in. I knew to expect them so it was fine, although socially it feels like a very strange conversation. If I hadn't known to expect them, I probably would have found it very odd for the check-in agent to be so interested in what kind of a car my friend drives and whether I know what the population of London is...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
I have global entry and still got the questions on my last two trips.

Questions seem in part to elicit a response, but also to verify what you have already stated. When I mentioned the city where my company's office was located, they asked for the specific neighborhood. A passenger at an adjacent checkin desk was asked "do you know the name of your CEO."
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:57 am

I used the transfer desk a couple of weeks ago and only received the standard baggage questions. I also have Global Entry, though I'm not sure if it helped. I was expecting the barrage after reading this thread.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, COPA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, OW Emerald, *A Gold
Questioned in EZE

The new line of questioning has reached Buenos Aires. Checked in at counter in EZE and was asked a series of increasingly personal & intrusive questions from the CI agent.

She wanted to know where I lived, why I was in Argentina, who I traveled with, why I spent less time in Argentina as opposed to Chile (travelled to Santiago too). She asked where I worked, I'm based in Singapore, and preceded to ask for my work IDs, Visas, etc. which I simply said I did not have (but they were all in my wallet). Why I was connecting in London, what I was doing in London, was I meeting anyone...she sensed my growing irritation and offered up that it was a security screen then handed me my boarding passes.

I'm all for extra security, whatever makes it safe, but the level of questioning will only incite angry annoyed responses particularly for folks who keep their personal information/lives close to heart. There must be a better way. And if only US carriers are doing this then it's not really consistent is it? Non US carriers will continue to fly to the US with passengers who did not get the extra intrusive questions.

If anything, in the future, I'll keep my answers simple and won't volunteer info that would only lead to more questions.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by AAsiaEXP
I'm all for extra security, whatever makes it safe, but the level of questioning will only incite angry annoyed responses particularly for folks who keep their personal information/lives close to heart. There must be a better way. And if only US carriers are doing this then it's not really consistent is it? Non US carriers will continue to fly to the US with passengers who did not get the extra intrusive questions.

If anything, in the future, I'll keep my answers simple and won't volunteer info that would only lead to more questions.
Ironically (?), Delta (via 3rd party ICTS agents) only gave me the normal questions and then put the sticker on my passport when I flew them from LHR last month. On VS last weekend, as with BA, no intrusive questioning.

The AA agent in December when I flew home for Christmas was ridiculous.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
I think the questions are mainly asked if you are checking in at LHR, at least that is what happened to me and I have TSA precheck. I have also trans at LHR and have not been asked anything.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rwoman
Ironically (?), Delta (via 3rd party ICTS agents) only gave me the normal questions and then put the sticker on my passport when I flew them from LHR last month. On VS last weekend, as with BA, no intrusive questioning.

The AA agent in December when I flew home for Christmas was ridiculous.
Got the intrusive questioning today at FRA. I normally fly Delta from there and two weeks ago breezed through the usual 3rd party screening with the "who packed your bags" routine. But today was another level of intrusion, down to my exercise habits. This seems to be just AA.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by CaptainCajun
Got the intrusive questioning today at FRA. I normally fly Delta from there and two weeks ago breezed through the usual 3rd party screening with the "who packed your bags" routine. But today was another level of intrusion, down to my exercise habits. This seems to be just AA.
It's definitely not good customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.