Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

MODERATOR NOTE

NOTE: This thread is exclusively for q&a, discussion about security procedures encountered by AA passengers. General discussion about airport security properly belongs in the Travel Safety / Security fora, particularly the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate subforum. Link.

The 2017 enhanced security interviewing general discussion is New passenger screening "interviews" to US, starting Oct 26/2017

As of Thursday, 26 Oct 2017 the procedures described below have been expanded to all airlines and departure points to the USA, required to avoid the alternative ban on personal electronic devices larger than a mobile phone that was originally imposed. By October 26 2017 these have been implemented network-wide by AA and most airlines. A few airlines were granted extensions until mid-January 2018.

Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to complete these additional procedures, which may include all procedures detailed below, including interviews, deeper scrutiny of documents, carryon baggage and personal items, including explosives detection swabbing of electronic devices.

Link to Reuters article, 29 June 2017

Link to Time article, 25 Oct 2017

Link to USA Today article, 25 Oct 2017

Security procedures for those departing internationally to the USA, particularly since 11 Sep 2001, have been more extensive. The U. S. Department of Homeland Security requires ALL airlines perform more extensive passenger screening of USA-bound passengers. (AA began in Europe with ICTS International a Dutch firm founded by former Israeli Shin Bet (internal security) and El Al personnel. In Europe, when you have been cleared (at or near the gate generally) they will affix a sticker (base and letter colors may vary by day, etc.) marked "ICTS" to your passport cover.)

Passenger questioning generally includes a first layer of questions, usually asked by check-in staff, that include such items as "Who packed your baggage?", "Has your baggage been in your possession since it was packed?", "What electronic devices do you have?", "Have you had any repaired while on your trip?"

A second layer of questions may include requests for more detailed information about you and your travels, such as "What do you do for a living?", "What company do you work for?", "What's the name of your CEO?", "How many times a year do you travel through XYZ?", "Where did you stay?", "What's your favorite restaurant in ....?", "Tell me about your best ever holiday?", "describe your neighborhood" and include questions about your home address, neighborhood, children, etc. To some people these questions might appear intrusive; others may feel the body language, tone and language used are inappropriate in some way.

These second layer questions were previously asked by contract security personnel, but now might be asked by airline check-in staff as well. Note the behavior of the passenger is observed and may be emphasized over answer content. Failure to reply with requested information or refusal may result in more extensive procedures.

Be aware: it has been verified the agents have the ability to issue your boarding pass with "SSSS", meaning you will get "heavy" screening. Several people have described "giving lip" or declining to answer agent second layer questions for various reasons and getting SSSS.

Though USA-bound passengers are generally screened at or prior to entering the gate area for departure, additional screening may include more extensive questioning by AA or contracted security personnel and / or more screening of possessions. This may be entering or at the gate area, or even at temporary stations set up at the gate or on the boarding bridge; passengers may be selected randomly, or from lists that may include other countries one has visited.

Other procedures may be used at other airports for departing passengers boarding to the USA. Procedures may intensify or lessen as influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

More extensive security suggest giving yourself more time to process these enhanced procedures.

Please refrain from altering this moderator note.
Airports initially used by AA included because of different, more thorough etc. security included:

AMS - Amsterdam, The Netherlands: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo airline security contractor questioning at check-in or when transiting.

BOG - Bogotá, Colombia: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo more intense, even aggressive, questioning even from than other Colombian airports served by AA in 2016.

BRU - Brussels, Belgium: a terror bombing at departures 22 Mar 2016 has impacted BRU and security procedures have changed and intensified as it slowly reopens.

DUB - Dublin, Ireland: AA passengers departing to the USA pass through airport security to the airside departures area with shops and lounges - followed by US Customs and Border Protection (customs and immigration) formalities and TSA security, as this is one of several pre-clearance airports (the aircraft arrives in the USA as a domestic flight). Please discuss DUB in the dedicated thread - link.

LHR - Some members report more extensive and intrusive questioning of AA USA-bound passengers. It doesn't seem different than questioning that has been used on departing passengers elsewhere (e.g. AMS, BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, MAD in the wiki author's experience), but the intensity could vary - influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

MEX - México City, Mexico: Hand baggage inspection tables are generally set up at the jetbridge for further examination of documents and carry-on items. Though passengers are said to be randomly selected, the first passengers boarding are often selected.
Updated October 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Often1
What difference does it make? Most people simply want to get through the questions as quickly as possible.
The difference is I was caught off guard, the questioning was aggressive and intrusive, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. If this is AA policy to question people at bag check in this manner, I won't fly them again. Delta doesn't ask personal questions like they're border agents and the experience is 99 times out of 100 pleasant.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Welcome to FT. I have had similar experiences at FRA with the AA security questions more times than not over the past 20 years.

One time, I was on an award ticket CPH-TXL-FRA-CLT-RDU (back in the days of Air Berlin). The security questions guy at check-in was equally as aggressive, kept asking why I had booked my ticket like that, why did I spend the night in FRA, wasn't there an easier way to fly to the US from Denmark, and on and on and on. I kept saying over and over that it was on the only routing available using AA miles in business class on that date.

After at least 5 mins of this I finally told him that he should call AA revenue management and persuade them to open up more award space on more direct routings if this was going to be a problem.

Spiff and DC9 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welcome to FT. I have had similar experiences at FRA with the AA security questions more times than not over the past 20 years.

One time, I was on an award ticket CPH-TXL-FRA-CLT-RDU (back in the days of Air Berlin). The security questions guy at check-in was equally as aggressive, kept asking why I had booked my ticket like that, why did I spend the night in FRA, wasn't there an easier way to fly to the US from Denmark, and on and on and on. I kept saying over and over that it was on the only routing available using AA miles in business class on that date.

After at least 5 mins of this I finally told him that he should call AA revenue management and persuade them to open up more award space on more direct routings if this was going to be a problem.
Interesting. I wonder what level of power they actually have because the moment I questioned her she stopped with the aggressive questioning completely and just went awkwardly silent. It feels like most customers think check in agent has more power than they do so will comply and deal with such rude questioning when in reality, there is probably a very narrow set of reasons they could deny your boarding. Seems like fake power tripping to me from a position on non-authority.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
The evaluation to see if you can comfortably answer questions confidently and truthly is part of American's security program for travellers to the US. Some employees or contractors perform it with more tact then others.. Generally I get a sticker on the back of my passport to indicate I "passed" otherwise they will be sure to ask questions and perform additional screening at the gate.

This screening can happen at or just before check-in, at the gate or in the case of Heathrow at a dedicated transfer screening podium before you transfer terminals.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:53 am

Ok so I missed the link as it was added afterwards and I can't copy it because I'm new. It literally IS policy with AA and they chose to go to the second layer of questioning aggressively. Delta has never went to the second layer of questioning. They only ask about bags and always warn you first. Guess I'm never flying AA again.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just to note that, as a new member, your post limit today is 5, so make the next one count! (Or edit a previous post).

Edit: too late!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Simple. She was transferred from Philly.
Tanic and roadtriper like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Bizarre. It's nothing to do with AA (are they even AA employees at FRA? I don't think so). I think you just got someone on an ego trip.
Originally Posted by David Prince
Ok so I missed the link as it was added afterwards and I can't copy it because I'm new. It literally IS policy with AA and they chose to go to the second layer of questioning aggressively. Delta has never went to the second layer of questioning. They only ask about bags and always warn you first. Guess I'm never flying AA again.
​​​​​​​
This is definitely AA policy to ask stupid questions as part of their "security" process. IB/AF/DL don't ask coming back from Europe. Only AA does. If you are flagged as PreCheck then they don't. There's a thread on this.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I would say that the chances at FRA of getting the high-speed nonsense questioning routine from AA reps is about one in six or seven. You did the correct thing by asking what the point was, as this will end the inquiry spree.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess I'm never flying AA again.
Because you can't handle a few extra questions?
Of all the reasons not to fly AA, this one seems a little snowflake-ish, no?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

In all honesty, and though I don’t enjoy the junior detective “grill the passenger” approach, AA did lose two aircraft to hijackers causing AA 11 to crash into the north tower of the World Trade Center in New York and AA 77 into the Pentagon in America’s capital on 1 September 2001. As well, Richard Reid, the infamous “shoe bomber”, attempted bringing down AA 63 CDG-MIA on 22 December 2001 - he was prevented from flying one day, allowed to fly the next day by CDG agents.

After that, AA contracted with ICTS International a Dutch firm founded by former Israeli Shin Bet (internal security) and El Al personnel. You’ll often have an ICTS sticker affixed to your passport after screening.

ICTS agents may screen you, but AA agents who have presumably been trained may as well - though not everyone who is trained may have good skills, arguably. They can also select you for additional, more extensive screening, usually denoted by the letters “SSSS” on your boarding pass, but not necessarily. It’s good she just gave you the evil eye and no SSSS.

See the thread Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd), where this is likely to be merged at some point.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
having encountered this numerous times over the years at LHR, i still do get a bit unnerved by the questioning not because i have anything to hide, but its more that i get nervous that they might think i am getting nervous by the questioning LOL.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:00 am

What would happen if you calmly, politely would answer: "That is none of your business" to such personal questions?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

In all honesty, and though I don’t enjoy the junior detective “grill the passenger” approach, AA did lose two aircraft to hijackers causing AA 11 to crash into the north tower of the World Trade Center in New York and AA 77 into the Pentagon in America’s capital on 1 September 2001. As well, Richard Reid, the infamous “shoe bomber”, attempted bringing down AA 63 CDG-MIA on 22 December 2001 - he was prevented from flying one day, allowed to fly the next day by CDG agents.

After that, AA contracted with ICTS International a Dutch firm founded by former Israeli Shin Bet (internal security) and El Al personnel. You’ll often have an ICTS sticker affixed to your passport after screening.

ICTS agents may screen you, but AA agents who have presumably been trained may as well - though not everyone who is trained may have good skills, arguably. They can also select you for additional, more extensive screening, usually denoted by the letters “SSSS” on your boarding pass, but not necessarily. It’s good she just gave you the evil eye and no SSSS.

See the thread Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd), where this is likely to be merged at some point.
I thought the Pentagon was in Virgina?
911 was on 11 September not 1 September
I was always led to believe that SSSS was determined by the DHS/CBP and the Airline has no control over who does or doesn't get selected?
Old Nov 28, 2021, 10:11 pm

Is this program only in European airports? I've flown AA from Mexico and Colombia and have never dealt with this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.